Denali shuttle bus ediquette

jengwen

I have a few questions about the shuttle bus ediquette for those of you who have taken it.

I know upon spotting wildlife, you should move aside after a bit so the person/people across the aisle from you can see too.

I believe you should also try to sit behind the driver on the way out for best mountain views.

Are the seats the standard bus seats that fit 2 people? I am going alone and am wondering if I will be sitting with a stranger.

At rest stops, do people go back to their original seats when getting back on the bus or is it a mad dash for the better seats [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ?

How early do you recommend getting to the bus before your departure time? I believe BQ said 20 minutes in a post long ago, but not sure if I am remembering right.

As always, any help is appreciated.

People will lean over you for views out of the windows. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Regular bus seats holding 2 people and yes you will be sitting with someone - at least part of the trip- unless a fluke on an empty bus. I have had a few. People return to the same seats. You usually have left something behind- a bag with your lunch is usually a good idea to locate your seat. And yes, I am in line at least 20 min. ahead. You can call the Park Service and ask if the bus is sold out a few days before you leave and decide how early you want to get there. If going to Wonder Lake- USUALLY the bus is NOT filled on the way out as they need seats on the way back for Eielson people who don't return on their outbound buses. But they will say they are "sold out".

Jengwen,
If you have your camera bag, lunch and back pack, jacket, you might get lucky with the seat next to you, but get on early bus and get there early to get the window. I thought the window on the left side going in was best, but that problably changes day to day.
We definitely had people wanting to get into our seats or leaning over to get a picture. My wife was taking video and I had my Nikon, but I lost several opportunities while others were shooting. Our bus driver did move the bus up several feet when we had bear next to bus and one other time for something. You hope that by sharing your great luck with the others, you will get the same on the other side of the bus. We did sit near the front and I could see out of the front of the bus. I took some neat curvy road pictures near polychrome pass area.

For clairfication- if seats are needed- they will make you move any "camera bags, coolers, backpacks etc" mentioned above. You are "allowed" only one seat. I hope for an open bus for you. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Archived