LA Post Cruise Advice

DougandEric

We are spending the night in LA after our cruise (Diamond Princess returning 12/3/2007). I need advice about what is easier.

We have reservations for the Getty Villa in Malibu at 11:00am, 12/3. We plan to rent a car in Long Beach and return it at LAX. We have reservations at the Marriott in Marina Del Rey. The hotel charges for parking ($15). It appears the airport is about 5 miles from the hotel. Our flight out on 12/4 is at 10:50 am.

1. How long should we expect the trip from the hotel to the airport to take?

2. When should we leave the hotel to allow ample time for check-in/security/returning car

3. Should we turn the car in on 12/3 after we're done and take a cab back to the hotel that night and again to the airport next morning - my concern is driving in morning traffic to the airport - or keep the car and just plan to leave to plenty early (how early?).

I've gotten great information from this board before - please don't fail me now!

Thanks in advance,

Doug

It will be easy to get to the airport from Marina del Rey. No need to get on the freeway. It should take no more than 20 minutes at the most to get to the car rental turn-in location (be sure you have good directions for this as it will be off-site). I would plan to leave the hotel about 8:30 AM to give you enough time to turn in the car and get through security at LAX. The car company should shuttle you to the correct terminal for easy check-in.

I would only turn the car in the night before if the hotel would be willing to shuttle you from the airport that night, and back in the AM.

Enjoy the Getty Villa. The recent reconstruction and revision was wonderful and it is truely a jewel. Hope you have good weather as the gardens are lovely (in addition to the art and architecture). Be sure to take one of the docent walks for more information on the Villa.

We are spending the night in LA after our cruise (Diamond Princess returning 12/3/2007). I need advice about what is easier.

We have reservations for the Getty Villa in Malibu at 11:00am, 12/3. We plan to rent a car in Long Beach and return it at LAX. We have reservations at the Marriott in Marina Del Rey. The hotel charges for parking ($15). It appears the airport is about 5 miles from the hotel. Our flight out on 12/4 is at 10:50 am.

1. How long should we expect the trip from the hotel to the airport to take?

2. When should we leave the hotel to allow ample time for check-in/security/returning car

3. Should we turn the car in on 12/3 after we're done and take a cab back to the hotel that night and again to the airport next morning - my concern is driving in morning traffic to the airport - or keep the car and just plan to leave to plenty early (how early?).

I've gotten great information from this board before - please don't fail me now!

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Well, this is exactly one of the reasons that Marina Del Rey is on the top of my area recommendations for before or after LAX...

So, close, and you don't even have to get on the freeway to get back and forth!

Even with morning traffic at the time (which on a Tuesday morning, shouldn't be too bad) figure about 20 minutes door to door (could be less).

But the key factor (because it's all so close you are talking differences in 5 or ten minutes here or there) is what car rental company it is exactly.

All the car rentals are "offsite", but some are really close (across the street) and others are further away.

That being said, I'd still keep the car. (so many good restaurants and views right in the area that a car just makes more convenient)...

Give yourself 20 minutes door to door from Marriott (Marina Del Ray) to LAX car drop off. Depending on which car rental place, give 10 to 20 minutes more to do the drop off and shuttle back to your airline checkin.

Security issues will be up to your choice and feelings.

(That should give you a good guestimate though).

Also no need for the freeway to and from Getty...

Washington (at your hotel) a block or two to Nelson way, north through Venice until it turns into Ocean in Santa Monica...

Left down California to PCH. Turn right, straight forward...

Back the same way.

To LAX - Washington east, to Lincoln south (right)...

This will take you right to LAX, you car rental drop off will be somewhere on the left of Lincoln (with LAX being on the right - West side)...

Enjoy!

Archived