Seas Sickness Plan

FMCowboy

Ok, as once mentioned before, this is my first cruise and I get seasick. I had taken dramamine a few months ago and tried a 75 person fishing charter and lasted 5 hrs (which was good), before I got sick. I had 4 dramamine in me by then.

I took everyone's recommendation here that Bonine and Ginger root worked best. I have picked both of these up getting ready for Friday's cruise.

My question is, when is best to take each and how many and how often? Do I start a few days before to get it in my system or will that make me immune? I am so worried about being "trapped" on a boat sea sick. Any recommendations on dosage and when for each would be appreciated. Also, I heard you have sealegs / rocking for a while when you get back, should I continue taking when back on land as well?

PS: Those Bonine chewable raspberry tablets are NASTY and almost made me sick eating 1 last week when I tried it for the first time while on a business trip. I usually take dramamine while flying but I tried a ginger pill & bonine. Seemed to work as well as dramamine.

Thanks

FM

I found generic Bonine swallowable pills at Target; I agree those chewable pills are gross!!

I start taking one Bonine before bed the night before the cruise and every night for the remainder of the cruise. My suggestion is to take the Bonine at night and the ginger during the day, if you feel the need. Start before the cruise!!

Have a wonderful cruise (still have a ways to go for ours) and report back!!

Hi,:)

I am always sea sick on small and medium size boats, but when we went on Navigator i was compleatly fine! This summer we went to Malta and went on a 5 hour boat trip. I really didnt want to go but it was a large organised trip with loads of friends so i bought some Sea legs. Dont know if you can get them in the US. they contain 12.5mg of Meclozine Hydrochloride. I took 2 tablets about 6 hours before the trip. I was fine, not a hint of sickness.:D I will pack them when we go on the Freedon in April, although i hope not to need them.

Although I can't comment on the pharmacological side of things, I can offer a phsycological observation based on years of small-boat travels and one large ship cruise:

If you don't feel good, go to another place on board where...

1) you can get some fresh air, whether it's up top or (my fave) outside on the promenade deck, so that...

2) you can see with your own eyes exactly what is causing the ship to move the way it does, as this establishes the connection between your inner ear/brain/eyes.

We had a couple of lovely gently rocking evenings, the kind that had people snoozing in their dinner chairs. We also thundered headlong into a Force 7 gale for a few hours. icon10.gif During the gale it amazed us how people would stay in areas of the ship that were simply uncomfortable at best and utterly nauseating at worst, but they had no idea that simply wandering out the Deck 4 promenade doors on the calm side of the ship (and there's usually a calm side and a windier side) would soothe their jangled nerves and tummies in mere moments.

Our minds have the dubious distinction of blowing things completely out of proportion. Fear of the unknown and all that. Add in a bit of inner ear imbalance and your delicate tummy starts sending smoke signals. But heading towards the middle of the ship is like perching yourself at the middle of a teeter-totter and almost any movement is minimized. Doing this outside where you can see that the ship's movement is actually quite slight helps in a big way.

And lastly, a favorite saying for all sorts of things is, "Whatever you focus on will grow". If you aren't feeling good try not to dwell on it. Move around, get outside, doggedly explore the ship in an effort to find a cool spot to watch the ocean or listen to that symphony of sound the waves make. Treat the ride and all the assorted sensations like an elixir from the gods, not as some sort of punishment from "heck". It couldn't hurt...

And most of all, savor every moment of every day on board; it will end far too soon.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Although I can't comment on the pharmacological side of things, I can offer a phsycological observation based on years of small-boat travels and one large ship cruise:

If you don't feel good, go to another place on board where...

1) you can get some fresh air, whether it's up top or (my fave) outside on the promenade deck, so that...

2) you can see with your own eyes exactly what is causing the ship to move the way it does, as this establishes the connection between your inner ear/brain/eyes.

We had a couple of lovely gently rocking evenings, the kind that had people snoozing in their dinner chairs. We also thundered headlong into a Force 7 gale for a few hours. icon10.gif During the gale it amazed us how people would stay in areas of the ship that were simply uncomfortable at best and utterly nauseating at worst, but they had no idea that simply wandering out the Deck 4 promenade doors on the calm side of the ship (and there's usually a calm side and a windier side) would soothe their jangled nerves and tummies in mere moments.

Our minds have the dubious distinction of blowing things completely out of proportion. Fear of the unknown and all that. Add in a bit of inner ear imbalance and your delicate tummy starts sending smoke signals. But heading towards the middle of the ship is like perching yourself at the middle of a teeter-totter and almost any movement is minimized. Doing this outside where you can see that the ship's movement is actually quite slight helps in a big way.

And lastly, a favorite saying for all sorts of things is, "Whatever you focus on will grow". If you aren't feeling good try not to dwell on it. Move around, get outside, doggedly explore the ship in an effort to find a cool spot to watch the ocean or listen to that symphony of sound the waves make. Treat the ride and all the assorted sensations like an elixir from the gods, not as some sort of punishment from "heck". It couldn't hurt...

And most of all, savor every moment of every day on board; it will end far too soon.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Bravo! This is one of the best posts yet that I have seen in regards to sea sickness questions. To the OP though, getting sick on a 75 person boat is not at all comporable to what you will experience on a 3000 + ship so dont worrry about it too much and I wouldnt take any meds unless you need them. Wait and see you might be surprised. If all else fails, the quoted post has great suggestions! Enjoy your cruise!

Hi,:)

I am always sea sick on small and medium size boats, but when we went on Navigator i was compleatly fine! This summer we went to Malta and went on a 5 hour boat trip. I really didnt want to go but it was a large organised trip with loads of friends so i bought some Sea legs. Dont know if you can get them in the US. they contain 12.5mg of Meclozine Hydrochloride. I took 2 tablets about 6 hours before the trip. I was fine, not a hint of sickness.:D I will pack them when we go on the Freedon in April, although i hope not to need them.

Meclezine(sp) and Bonine are the same thing.

I have not any issues on my two previous cruises, however that did not stop me from buying the ginger (just in case). Altoids makes a ginger drop now, so I saw them in the check out line, and thought, doesn't hurt. My Mom and her friend are coming and they are first timers, so a just in case ginger drop may be just the ticket. Only three weeks and six days:) Can't wait!! I would prefer to stay away from the "medicines" as I am not aware of the alchohol, drug interactions that may occur.

Addict:

I see you were just on the Sovereign. How was it? We are going on Thursday. Was teh food great, what would you recommend for do's or must's on the ship?

thx

I've posted my review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=652700

The main reason I posted was to let others know what went on during the weekend I was on her. However, it was still a nice weekend getaway! :)

When bonine switched from the orange tablets to the raspberry, it also made me sick imediately. I switched to less drowsy dramamine which is the same ingredients as the bonine. When you chew a tablet it gets into your system faster. I just swallow the less drowsy dramamine and have no problem. When you swallow the pill, it starts working in 30 minutes.

FMCowboy, I chew Bonine which works faster than Dramamine, which makes me really sleepy, but, and you'd think I sell them, (I don't), the way I keep recommending them, I use the sea bands now. WalMart has them for about $10.00. They are worn on your wrists, and use acupressure. I have not ever felt queasy with them on. Truth in reporting: they're ugly!, and my wrists are sore by the end of the week, but I'll take that over being sick anyday. http://www.sea-band.com/seaband.htm

Hi,

I took my first cruise in October and was also worried about seasickness as I have a vestibular problem in my right ear which cause vertigo. My doctor prescribed the transdermal scopolamine patch which you just wear behind your ear. It didn't even make me sleepy as I already take meclizine every day. Just put it on a few hours before boarding. Many passengers wear these. Worked great for me - we had one night of rocking and I just drank ginger ale and I did fine. The patch is another consideration ........

Archived