Things I Don't Know but Wonder.........???

sail7seas

Stiil has to be quite an undertaking .

Like you said computers and years of experience are a big help I am sure. After all these years they probablty do have it down to a science. But when the average Joe like me thinks about it , its a pretty daunting task :)

Some times its pretty tough getting dinner ready at a certain time just for the people in your house *LOL* Imagine feeding thousands of people ,all day long ,in God knows how many dining venues depending on the ship.

The Disney Wonder refueled and loaded new supplies in Galveston yesterday. Just an FYI.

Well, that sure wouldn't delight me if my air tickets brought me to FLL......What good would it do for pax to suddenly have to scramble and try to get to Galveston? I do not think that a positive solution for pax looking to embark.

Did Disney pay for rebooking all of those air tickets? Did they get seats for folks who held seats on flights going to Florida? Did they transfer folks who were already in Flordia to Galveston at their expense? Did they pay hotel cancellation fees?

Where is the favor they did for their pax. I think it stinks.

As always....JMHO

I think would be an interesting questions to ask a Captain if we are fortunate to be invited to his table soon. :)

Hey, glad you thought of that. If you are so blessed to get that opportunity, I hope you'll share his answers with us when you get back online. :)

slinkie

Well, that sure wouldn't delight me if my air tickets brought me to FLL......What good would it do for pax to suddenly have to scramble and try to get to Galveston? I do not think that a positive solution for pax looking to embark.

Did Disney pay for rebooking all of those air tickets? Did they get seats for folks who held seats on flights going to Florida? Did they transfer folks who were already in Flordia to Galveston at their expense? Did they pay hotel cancellation fees?

Where is the favor they did for their pax. I think it stinks.

As always....JMHO

No one was required to disembark - DIS just picked up supplies - BUT, if someone wanted to disembark, they were allowed to. THIS IS A HUGE FAVOR to their PAX. Those that neededto be off to be somewhere had a chance to. HAL did not allow PAX that same courtesy.

I think what DIS did is great - and its what HAL didn't do that stinks.

Thats MHO

I also think Disney handled this very well and much better than HAL.

The PAX were given the option to leave the ship in Galveston. I read that about 600 opted for this choice. I would think some people had commitments they needed to get back home for. Getting a flight out of Texas had to be much easier than trying to get something out of Florida.

I also think Disney handled this very well and much better than HAL.

The PAX were given the option to leave the ship in Galveston. I read that about 600 opted for this choice. I would think some people had commitments they needed to get back home for. Getting a flight out of Texas had to be much easier than trying to get something out of Florida.

But Disney has employees in Galveston, HAL doesn't. It has to be much easier logistically for Disney to do this.

Was HAL constrained by the Jones Act? Or were there other considerations that made their final decision better than any other one? I see so many threads on these boards against (name the cruise line of your choice) and then, a few days later, Cruise News Daily comes out with background nobody ever realized existed and people end up with egg on their faces. And never an apology.

But Disney has employees in Galveston, HAL doesn't. It has to be much easier logistically for Disney to do this.

Correct, no disagreement here.

Disney made decisions and announcements much earlier than HAL. Hal seemed much slower to come forward with a plan. To announce they would post an update on their web site at a given time and not do it until much later was not very good for those who had booked on the Zuiderdam.

Much of the food used on the cruise ships is prepositioned, in containers.

Apr of 97, we took a cruise on Sky Princess, Osaka Japan to Vancouver British Columbia, and several of the containers did not make it to Osaka.

We ran out of most fresh veggies, milk, and ice cream before making it to the Aleutian Islands. At Dutch Harbor, members of the Purser's Office and cooking staff "raided" the local grocery store (very small) and literally swept the produce and dairy sections clear.

Interesting (and cold) trip.

Michael

So logistically it would have taken HAL more work than DIS - but from a customer service standpoint that doesn't excuse HAL from not making the effort.

BTW - I am curious - I have seen this quote about DIS having employees in Galveston. Just what Disney employees are based there? Galveston is not a Disney port of call. So I am really curious about this big staff of Disney employees based in Galveston some of you alude to

Was HAL constrained by the Jones Act? Or were there other considerations that made their final decision better than any other one? I see so many threads on these boards against (name the cruise line of your choice) and then, a few days later, Cruise News Daily comes out with background nobody ever realized existed and people end up with egg on their faces. And never an apology.

yadda, yadda, yadda - another HAL defender to the rescue.

Come on Tom - constrained by the Jones Act? in a time when there is a weather emergency?

Why wasn't Disney constrained by the Jones Act?

You are looking for excuses for HAL. C'mon - be reasonable - DISney, with their whopping 5 years or so of cruise experience did a better job in this situation than HAL and its 130 years of experience did. No need to get defensive

BTW - I am curious - I have seen this quote about DIS having employees in Galveston. Just what Disney employees are based there? Galveston is not a Disney port of call. So I am really curious about this big staff of Disney employees based in Galveston some of you alude to

Sorry, that was me. I guess I read that somewhere and was wrong. I equate that to an airline landing somewhere in which the airline has no service but in extreme emergencies, can be done.

I apologize, I was wrong about DIS and Galveston. Did they once? It seems that I remember seeing that. Oh well, again forgive me. It won't be the first or last time I have been wrong :o

Sorry, that was me. I guess I read that somewhere and was wrong. I equate that to an airline landing somewhere in which the airline has no service but in extreme emergencies, can be done.

I apologize, I was wrong about DIS and Galveston. Did they once? It seems that I remember seeing that. Oh well, again forgive me. It won't be the first or last time I have been wrong :o

gliles - thanks. No problem. Thanks for clarifying this - I didn't think Disney had people based in Galveston.

As far as I know, Disney has never called on Galveston - they have always sailed out of Port Canaveral. I know Carnival still does and I think possibly RCCL / Princess as well.

Disney did such a great job.. they are still revising this week's schedules. Oops.. looks like they didn't count on Port Canaveral being closed until Wednesday, Sept 8th! Ditto RCL... and Carnival.

Meanwhile back at HAL.....their decision.....was their final decision....a fait accompli.......and it worked.....the first time around. No changing and rearranging.......and that's just what any travel company wants to accomplish. Being one of those people who has to make those type of "Go-No Go" decisions.. only for land tours......... HAL did a great job.

Now I get to go back to office on Tuesday..and start the "Go-No-Go" decision making process all over again because of Ivan. And.......have to reschedule all those Savannah trips we cancelled on Thursday.....which.....in hindsight......could have run.. although with the information on hand Thursday.....it didn't seem possible... ergo..."No-Go".. and a lot of disappointed vacationers.

Sometimes being first......isn't always the best position to be in!

Meanwhile back at HAL.....their decision.....was their final decision....a fait accompli.......and it worked.....the first time around. No changing and rearranging.......and that's just what any travel company wants to accomplish. Being one of those people who has to make those type of "Go-No Go" decisions.. only for land tours......... HAL did a great job.

LOL - Keep trying. You really can't be serious. HAL made their decision - a final decision ?????? And it worked ????? have you read some of the threads here ??? Glad I wasn't watching HAL's website for their promised updates that never appeared on time

Hmmmm, seems to me HAL changed their schedule numerous times. First they were leaving as scheduled on Saturday, then 7pm Saturday, then sometime Sunday am, then Sunday PM, then finally Monday.

yep - they made a final decision with no changes alright.

Besides - my point about DIS doing a better job at this than HAL was primarily in regards to the PAX on board who may have needed to get home / somewhere on the date they planned

Next !!!

superstein --

I was asking a question, looking for information. Simple as that. I like to look at (look for) all possibilities, then see if they hold up. I also like to see if there are combinations of possibilities that don't at first seem to affect each other.

Just a question.

Archived