Travel agent didn't save us any money?

BarberGirl

When we booked our first cruise we used a travel agent that came highly recommended. He saved us money from the Royal Caribbean's website. When we went back to book our second cruise our TA had retired, so we went with a lady in the same office. She was very nice but was kind of a ding bat. During the first cruise we put $200 down on our next cruise to get a shipboard credit for doing so. She was slow to understand that, so we had to keep explaining it to her. But this is what gets me, our first TA man saved us a few hundred dollars from RC's website price, but she charged us full price. I thought that was what a TA was supposed to do is save us money? Did we just get lucky on the first cruise?

Thank you!

I dont know when your first cruise was, so not sure why your TA was able to discount, but RCI does not allow any discounting. The only way a TA can save you money is if they have a group rate they can include you into or they give you some perks on the side.

Discounts are not allowed or the TA would no longer be allowed to book RCI cruises...so Im not surprised. You can shop around for OBC and prepaid gratuities and other ways TAs can throw some $ your way though.

As Firefly said, RCCL doesn't allow TA's to discount their cruises any longer. I know this policy has been in affect for a while but I don't know exactly when and your first cruise could have been prior to the policy change. A TA's job is not to save you money but rather make the planning as easy as possible and acting as a liaison with the cruiseline if needed, while getting you the best price.

I have found that if I used a certain online or even traditional TA that the service is hit or miss. On my most recent cruises I was frustrated because of having to go through a TA for any changes. While some have great TA relatonships I have never had that same luck.

When I control the process through RCCL or whoever I am sailing on then I can get what I want when I want it and my expectations are kept in check.

Our travel agent supplied us with free traveler's insurance and $100 onboard credit.

She was very firm that Royal Caribbean doesn't discount for travel agents.

IF RCCL finds out she gave you insurance and an OBC, that can get her in trouble,as RCCL considers adding those perks "discounting".

If you received that, it's best not to tell people about it so you don't get the agency int rouble.

Well I don't think that's right. :confused:

They're a full fledged travel agency and it's what they offer right on their site, as plain as day.

The reason we went to those guys specifically, is because they were right next door to the dealer I was waiting at, while they changed the oil in our car. Their "headquarters" justhappens to be in the town nextto me, rather than situated in some third world country, like a lot of shady websites are.

I stopped by, just to see what was out there, cruise-wise, and the traveler's insurance wasn't just something they offered "under the table". It was their policy. Later when I looked at their website, that tidbit came up again, as part of the packages they offered with Royal Caribbean. I don't know if they offer that with other cruise lines or not, because I only looked up the RC cruises.

I'm pretty sure they've got a working AND legal practice, when they offer free insurance to their customers.

You can go to their website and see for yourself.

IF RCCL finds out she gave you insurance and an OBC, that can get her in trouble,as RCCL considers adding those perks "discounting".

If you received that, it's best not to tell people about it so you don't get the agency int rouble.

Unless this is something that RCI just changed then this is not correct information. My TA gives a very nice OBC and when we arrive on board there is a note from RCI stating that we have a OBC for the amount and the TA's name. It is set up by my TA with RCI prior to the cruise.

Just to clarify this is NOT true. When we offer onboard credits the ageny pays it, we still get our commision from Royal, but it comes out of the bottom line.

It makes sense to me.

Travel agents kinda' HAVE TO offer perks... Or else why would people go to them?

I'd MUCH rather do everything on my own and keep it under my control. That way, I know I'm getting what I want and that it's being done right. There's not a lot I venture into anymore, where I DON'T research the field fully.

Which is why I'm here. :D ;) You guys are an abundant source of help and information, for the savvy traveler.

But since they offer free insurance AND a little useable credit/spending money... I say, "Why not?"

You also should not really expect to get the level of perks that some people describe. I often hear people saying they got, for instance, prepaid gratuities plus a $100 OBC. If you're talking about a 7-day cruise, that would be $240 the TA was giving back out of their commission, and for many cabins, that would be more than they actually earn in commission.

So, yes, many TA's give perks, and if you look around, you can find some of these little extras. Just don't go in with the expectation of a huge discount or 'perk.'

Unless this is something that RCI just changed then this is not correct information. My TA gives a very nice OBC and when we arrive on board there is a note from RCI stating that we have a OBC for the amount and the TA's name. It is set up by my TA with RCI prior to the cruise.

This was the case with us as well for OBC plus a bottle of wine.:) BTW, I had asked on CC about the wine and had answers ranging from, it was only for consumption in the cabin, yes we could have it in the dining room but there would be a corkage fee, there would not be a fee, etc. Happy to say they said we could most certainly have it with dinner, no corkage fee and they chilled it for us.

The discounts or onboard credits can be offered through the TA because it comes out of the commission or agencies bottom line. Depending on the volume that the agency does with a particular cruise line can affect the % of commission they receive. That is why some offer more than others.

This is exactly what happened to me. Whatever you call it, "discounting" is allowed, and it is no secret.

To the OP, if you are interested in seeing what "perks" are available, you can go into the site that "competes for your cruise". This does not take the place of you being an informed consumer, and checking and asking the right questions. But, I have never had a cruise where I did not receive a benefit.

The discounts or onboard credits can be offered through the TA because it comes out of the commission or agencies bottom line. Depending on the volume that the agency does with a particular cruise line can affect the % of commission they receive. That is why some offer more than others.

To me OBC is cash given to spend on board the ship. A discount to me would be money off the cruise.

Semantics?? Thats why I said discounting is not allowed but perks such as OBC are allowed.

To me OBC is cash given to spend on board the ship. A discount to me would be money off the cruise.

Semantics?? Thats why I said discounting is not allowed but perks such as OBC are allowed.

It washes out in the end for me. I just don't have as large a SeaPass bill with the applied OBC.

When we booked our first cruise we used a travel agent that came highly recommended. He saved us money from the Royal Caribbean's website. When we went back to book our second cruise our TA had retired, so we went with a lady in the same office. She was very nice but was kind of a ding bat. During the first cruise we put $200 down on our next cruise to get a shipboard credit for doing so. She was slow to understand that, so we had to keep explaining it to her. But this is what gets me, our first TA man saved us a few hundred dollars from RC's website price, but she charged us full price. I thought that was what a TA was supposed to do is save us money? Did we just get lucky on the first cruise?

Thank you!

Perhaps the first TA saved you money not a discount on the booking, but in other ways, to live up to the recommendation, and hoping you may in turn recommend the TA. Who knows, the TA may have even eaten the $200 himself?

As far as the second TA, she booked your cruise according to the rules, and if she was not recommended, she may have felt no need to save you any more money. By the way, did you get the shipboard credit from your second TA?:confused:

I don't know what happened, but it has worked out alright I think. The $200 we put down on the last cruise was deducted from the deposit for the next cruise. And when we get on board we will get $100 ship credit for making the deposit on the last cruise. So yeah we did get it. Thank you all for your answers.:D

Since booking our next cruise with a home based, local TA, I learned from these boards about the agencies that provide "perks" in the way of pre-paid (free) gratuities, free insurance, or OBC's, and have been quite distressed about not using one of these agencies; especially now with the fuel surcharge. However, since I have only booked one cruise prior, years ago, I'm not sure I could have found the cruise this TA found which is perfect for our family. Nor was I finding the low airfare she secured for our family (although she did charge a 25.00 booking fee pp), so I suppose I should be grateful for her service. However, I can't help but be attracted to the idea of using one of these online sites offering the "perks" for our next cruise. I will miss the personalized service gained from booking through a local TA who knows the "in's and out's" of travel from our city and feel bad about not using her next time since she has been quite helpful and we get along nicely, but these perks that are out there are just too tempting to turn down.

Archived