Caribbean on QM2

EssexGary

Hi - we've travelled on QM2 transatlantic before, and are going to the Caribbean next April. I was wondering how the ships ambience changes on a Caribbean cruise - does it take on the flavour of a regular Caribbean cruise (outdoor competitions, constant steel band music, cocktail of the day constantly for sale by over-heated bar staff, dancing all day by the outside bars...) I'm hoping that the experience will be a little less... erm... brash shall we say :D , than our experience on Princess, RCL etc.

Thanks!

Hi - we've travelled on QM2 transatlantic before, and are going to the Caribbean next April. I was wondering how the ships ambience changes on a Caribbean cruise - does it take on the flavour of a regular Caribbean cruise (outdoor competitions, constant steel band music, cocktail of the day constantly for sale by over-heated bar staff, dancing all day by the outside bars...) I'm hoping that the experience will be a little less... erm... brash shall we say :D , than our experience on Princess, RCL etc.

Thanks!

In the Caribbean, QM2 remains pretty much QM2. It is a little more relaxed but it is not like the stereotypic Caribbean cruise. Because the ship is just moving between islands, the pace is slower. Also, unlike the transatlantics, there are days (i.e. port days) when most people leave the ship and you can have her all to yourself which can be nice. Otherwise, the formal nights, the balls, and the other typical QM2 activities are the same.

(outdoor competitions, constant steel band music, cocktail of the day constantly for sale by over-heated bar staff, dancing all day by the outside bars...)

:eek:....It's not at all like that! If that's what you're trying to avoid, I'm sure you'll enjoy the QM2.

When in April are you going? I'll be on the April 6 sailing.

(outdoor competitions, constant steel band music, cocktail of the day constantly for sale by over-heated bar staff, dancing all day by the outside bars...)

:eek:....It's not at all like that! If that's what you're trying to avoid, I'm sure you'll enjoy the QM2.

I think that's the only sailing in April so that's at least three of us.:)

We've done a Caribbean on her and a transatlatic. Obvioulsy a t/a is more formal, but we found the Caribbean to be lovely. Relaxed, good music at sailaway, relaxed pool time with no megawatt speakers. We are doing another Caribbean in January so will give you a better idea then if anything has changed. One thing I do note is that we have a "deck party" one night, which if anything like the one we had in Liverpool on the QE2 (obviously it will be warmer) will be lovely.

The majority of our voyages have been Caribbean, except for the one crossing on Grandeur of the Seas a few years ago. When presented with an opportunity to go on QM2 to the Caribbean last November we decided to try. Our other cruises had been RCI, Celebrity and Carnival. Oddly enough, we really disliked Celebrity for some reason. One of the Carnival ships was a negative experience, but our other trips had been great.

One of the reasons I love QM2 is the fact that she is the "anti-cruise ship."

Sure, they still do art auctions, "gold" by the inch, designer watch specials and big daily sales in the shopping area, but I suspect that happens on crossings as well. I didn't hear announcements or read in the daily schedule that there were "hairy chest contests" or other sort of inane activities.

I always avoided such things on the other ships, but found QM2 to be the most relaxing vacation of my life. Could be that we made our evening's entertainment our meal. We never attended shows, but lingered over coffee in the Princess Grill with our table mates.

With QM2 I felt that the ship was the destination and the ports were merely breaks in the trip. I am spoiled for anything less than Cunard from now on. We leave in a few weeks for our next Caribbean adventure.

--Judy

Hi Jack,

Sounds like you are as eager as we are. Can't wait for the Pre Cruise Documents telling us it is getting closer.

Hope your numbers grow and you have good weather.

Say Hi to Brent!

They're not that loud and as it is just that once a day it's not as opressive.

Trust me, these guys were quite loud.

You'll see for yourself once we're aboard in January.

(If you don't think they are, ask anyone else you happen to come across. If you can get 20 people who don't agree with me, I'll go swimming in my tux. :D ;) )

Ok, you're on! Which band was it?

Hehehehehehe ....

Does this mean if I'm right, do we get to see you do a swan dive into the pool in your gown and pearls? :D ;)

And the band is Vibz ..... nice guys, but they need to make adjustments to thier amplifying equipment.

I read some disappointing reviews of the Caribbean on QM2.

I loved the TA on QM2 but I think I would pick a different ship for the Caribbean. I think it depends on what you are looking for. For the Caribbean- I would want easy disembarkation and embarkation. If the ship docks- that is easy enough. If you are tendering with 3000 people- that is quite another.

But having not done the Caribbean on QM2 I can't speak from experience.

The best cruise to the Caribbean I have done was on Oceania. It was reasonably price for a luxury line and the food was the best I have ever had. The ship went to many islands that the mainstream cruises don't go to. Most of the time there were no other ships in the port that day. This was the most "untouristy" cruise I have ever done.

The ship is only 30,000 tons but I never felt bored. The afternoon tea was to die for. Loved it. Would sail the ship for that experience alone. And this was in the Caribbean! It was everyday at 4PM. Just wonderful- three peice orchestra, white gloved service, scones and delectible desserts- lovely finger sandwiches. Good selection of teas. All with a panoramic view of the Ocean at the bow. My Dad and I still talk about it.

So- if you like formal cruises with great food and wonderful itinerary- do Oceania.

Does this mean if I'm right, do we get to see you do a swan dive into the pool in your gown and pearls? :D ;)

And the band is Vibz ..... nice guys, but they need to make adjustments to thier amplifying equipment.

No and I am fairly sure they were the band who were on during our 40th Anniversary cruise and they were terrrible, but not overly loud.

RebeccaLouise, I've done a Caribbean on QM2 and it was fabulous, no tendering problems at all. More then happy to say to anyone else to do one on her too. Very much looking forward to the next one as well!

I read some disappointing reviews of the Caribbean on QM2.

I loved the TA on QM2 but I think I would pick a different ship for the Caribbean. I think it depends on what you are looking for. For the Caribbean- I would want easy disembarkation and embarkation. If the ship docks- that is easy enough. If you are tendering with 3000 people- that is quite another.

But having not done the Caribbean on QM2 I can't speak from experience.

The best cruise to the Caribbean I have done was on Oceania. It was reasonably price for a luxury line and the food was the best I have ever had. The ship went to many islands that the mainstream cruises don't go to. Most of the time there were no other ships in the port that day. This was the most "untouristy" cruise I have ever done.

The ship is only 30,000 tons but I never felt bored. The afternoon tea was to die for. Loved it. Would sail the ship for that experience alone. And this was in the Caribbean! It was everyday at 4PM. Just wonderful- three peice orchestra, white gloved service, scones and delectible desserts- lovely finger sandwiches. Good selection of teas. All with a panoramic view of the Ocean at the bow. My Dad and I still talk about it.

So- if you like formal cruises with great food and wonderful itinerary- do Oceania.

Hi Rebeccalouise,

Hand raised.

We are also Oceania fans. Went on the Regatta to the Caribbean last Christmas. Yes to all you've mentioned and if someone doesn't mind a bit less casual when it comes to dress, Oceania has much of the elegance of Cunard. Cunard and Oceania will have the ships for us until someone can come up with something better, and I doubt anyone will. ;)

Afternoon tea rocked. :) The children went more than we did, because they loved it.

Archived