Cape Horn tour operators

Thrifty

I need any help I can get about the availability of "on the dock" tour operators in Chile and Argentina. I would like to wait and see the vehicle and the driver before I commit myself, rather than prearrange something by e-mail (which has not worked out well for us in the past,) but I have no idea whether or not the number of passengers on a medium-sized ship will quickly exhaust the supply of waiting available locals.I have in mind particularly the ports from which one can go in search of penquins.

I need any help I can get about the availability of "on the dock" tour operators in Chile and Argentina. I would like to wait and see the vehicle and the driver before I commit myself, rather than prearrange something by e-mail (which has not worked out well for us in the past,) but I have no idea whether or not the number of passengers on a medium-sized ship will quickly exhaust the supply of waiting available locals.I have in mind particularly the ports from which one can go in search of penquins.

There are plenty of taxis in Punta Arenas at the port. In Puerto Madryn, the ship's shuttle will drop you off downtown where there may be taxis (not sure) and it is along driove (over an hour) over dusrty bumpy roads. We had no trouble with pre-booked tour operators. You may find some details if you look at my cruise notes pointed to in my signature.

I very much enjoyed reading your report of your South American cruise. Thank you. Would you be kind enough to share with us the name of the organization by which Miriam and Leandro in Puerto Madryn are employed? (I gather that you were entirely satisfied with them.) As I understand the CC rules, if someone asks, it is permissible to name a tour operator.

I very much enjoyed reading your report of your South American cruise. Thank you. Would you be kind enough to share with us the name of the organization by which Miriam and Leandro in Puerto Madryn are employed? (I gather that you were entirely satisfied with them.) As I understand the CC rules, if someone asks, it is permissible to name a tour operator.

All my tour operator contact info is listed somewhere on that thread. Just scroll thorugh and you will find it. Photos and videos are also listed.

hi. I answered another post a while ago about this same thing. We always use drivers/guides that we find when we get off the ship. We were on a Princess Cruise and usually felt we had our choice of drivers. We had a great driver, at Puerto Madryn, take us to the Valdez Peninsula (Jan) where we could stand next to penguins and their chicks. He also took us to all the right places in the preserve. We also took a day trip by boat on another trip from Ushuaia down the Beagle Channel where we saw lots of penguins (Nov). I believe they were all magellans. We are also like you--we want to see the driver, the car and know he speaks English. We also want to see what the weather is like that day. Be sure to know exactly what he expects to be paid and we always have paid at the end of the trip. We always tip, too. We even found that there were enough drivers at the port to even do some bargaining among them. We joined with a British couple--that we didn't know--and had a great time all day. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived