Another Smuggling Question

Hayward2

Thanks Maler.....Why don't you just sky write it over the port of Miami!!! :p Now it is going to be an even longer wait in line as they "sniff" everyones water bottles!! :p Dang...RCI is going to know all our tricks pretty soon!! :rolleyes::D

Did you really think RCCL is that dumb not to be checking (not all) bottles lol. They really buckled down since you took your last cruise in 2006. Just be forewarned. They could and have taken drastic measures.

Sure its the cruise lines fault.

Let me ask you several questions: how would you add to their coffers if you would be allowed to bring alcohol onboard? You probably would bring more alcohol onboard if allowed. So if at all, you'd be spending less onboard.

Then you say that you don't like putting alcohol in your luggage. How would you bring alcohol onboard if you were allowed? Carry on? How many bottles? 2, 3, 4? I bet, the first time you stand in line and you carry bottles of liqueur as a carry on it will be the last time, especially if you are delayed and you have to stand a while longer in line. So where would the bottles go the next time? In your luggage.

Your next reason is that you want to have a drink in your room. I hear that all the time. There is no no-alcohol-in-staterooms rule. You can have a drink anytime in your room. Most bars are open until 2 or 3 am. Get a drink there and take it to your room. Thats what I do. It is not even an inconvenience.

Every reason you and others have given are easy to contradict. Even the money saving reason didn't work. In another thread a smuggler and I have discovered that if you drink a bottle of liqueur through a 5 Night cruise (mixed as drinks) you'd save about $20 per day if you smuggle the liqueur onboard instead of buying mixed drinks onboard.

So, $20/day is such a great reason to break the rules?

So, what is the reason for smuggling? The thrill? Looking cool? Showing "oh I can beat the authorities"?

I just don't see any other reason.

I just dont understand, WHY DO YOU CARE WHAT WE SMUGGLERS SMUGGLE ON!!!!!!! We aren't bringing illegal drugs on.

here come the lectures again. Why can't we keep this thread between us trouble makers!!!

I know, even though we are kindergarteners, we know it is against the rules. THATS WHY WE SMUGGLE AND it is an inconvenience to have to go to the bar just to have a drink in your room, and if you are getting ready for dinner, the thing is going to be watered down by the time it is time to indulge. GROSS :mad:

CLEAR liquor to refilll them with and carried them right back on board.Clear Rum mostly, Coconut, vanilla etc. I'm sure vodka would work as well.One time I was asked to show the bottle (It is in an insulated carrier with a shoulder strap) but other than that, I have never been questioned.We use larger water bottles and can pour an entire bottle of rum in one.

In April my water bottle was inspected each time I got back on the ship.

Denise

I just dont understand, WHY DO YOU CARE WHAT WE SMUGGLERS SMUGGLE ON!!!!!!! We aren't bringing illegal drugs on.

Why do I care?

Because eventually if to many people 'smuggle' profit projection per passenger will not be inline with reality anymore and cruise lines have to increase prices, therefore increasing security and in both cases it means price increases.

And your notion that you don't bring illegal drugs onboard shows the level of thinking of you 'smugglers'. Smoking is not illegal yet you can't smoke in an office environment. Not bringing alcohol onboard is a company policy you agreed to by taking a cruise.

Don't worry, I don't get all fuzzed out about it. I feel actually sorry for those who call themselves 'smugglers' because thats hardly what any of you are. I do get the occasional smile though when I see people being led off a ship because they got caught 'smuggling'.

It goes well a few times but the odds will catch up with everybody.

We used the rum runners on Enchantment in Sept. Had those in one suitcase. In the other suitcase we had a plastic bottle of vodka and bloody mary mix. It all got to our room. I had some kahlua in one of the rum runners . When I ordered room service for breakfast I ordered a couple of cartons of milk. Voila White Russians :D

We used the rum runners on Enchantment in Sept. Had those in one suitcase. In the other suitcase we had a plastic bottle of vodka and bloody mary mix. It all got to our room. I had some kahlua in one of the rum runners . When I ordered room service for breakfast I ordered a couple of cartons of milk. Voila White Russians :D

For breakfast?!?!?!??!?! :eek: ;) :)

I am guessing Beth meant she ordered the milk at breakfast to enjoy the white russians later. If not, "FL" will really have a hay day with this one.

Hey mtncouple, also wondering when and what ship you are going on next. I would like to hear the recent success stories on these before I order a couple. What about at the ports. What kind of "xray" do you go thru before reboarding??? What if you just had one of the small rum runners in a cargo shorts pocket????

Why do I care?

Because eventually if to many people 'smuggle' profit projection per passenger will not be inline with reality anymore and cruise lines have to increase prices, therefore increasing security and in both cases it means price increases.

Are you saying that the "smugglers" are cutting into the ship's profits hence RCI will have to raise cruise prices to compensate.

Since they have to compete with other lines I can't see them doing that. Not a wise business decision.

More likely if they start losing too much liquor revenue they will start devoting more personnel and attention to the luggage screening process. Right now I don't see alcohol as a big priority of the screeners. But that could change if RCI decides to commit more personnel to the task. Of course that will cost them more money and create longer delays in getting luggage to the staterooms.

Actually, not to over pontificate, but even if they do this it will not end liqour smuggling. It will just make people more creative. The possibilities are endless.

Jimmers

I cruised on the Mellenium in 01, as we were just going onboard there was a shop that we could bye a bottle and take it on board. I bought a bottle onboard that cruise and was able to take it to the room.

On Carnival I bought a bottle in Cosemuel (sp) and was caught bringing it on board and they gave it back to me on the last night of the cruise.

Several Carnival threads indicate that if you call them they will have a setup for you in the room. I'll have to try that in January.

I have a RCCL Alaska cruise booked for August, but RCCL states that if you try to sneak some onboard and get caught, they may not let you onboard. Taking it away is one thing, but that is completely different and may not be worth the risk.

in my opinion, i think that sneaking a couples bottles of booze aboard is ok. i have in the past and will do so in the future(enchantment of the seas dec. 15:rolleyes: )

does the cruise line really have time to see if you have a bottle of booze in your checked bags? they have to check in 2500 plus passengers in under 5 hours. i would hope that the cruise lines would be more concerned about weapons , than a 6 dollar bottle of red table wine.

as far as bringing the booze in your carry on who really wants to lug all booze around. not me. what happens if you cant get to your room unitl 145 or 200pm. that is too much stress for being on vacation way to much lugging.

STRESS BAD:mad:

Leo

real smugglers never talk about smuggling, they just do it and take their chances.

Don't fool yourselves.....all cruise lines control the flow of alcohol for one reason.....$$$.

The more you are forced to buy from them the more $$$ they get, which is the bottom line for all successful companies!

Are you saying that the "smugglers" are cutting into the ship's profits hence RCI will have to raise cruise prices to compensate.

Since they have to compete with other lines I can't see them doing that. Not a wise business decision.

More likely if they start losing too much liquor revenue they will start devoting more personnel and attention to the luggage screening process. Right now I don't see alcohol as a big priority of the screeners. But that could change if RCI decides to commit more personnel to the task. Of course that will cost them more money and create longer delays in getting luggage to the staterooms.

Actually, not to over pontificate, but even if they do this it will not end liqour smuggling. It will just make people more creative. The possibilities are endless.

Jimmers

RCI does not compete with Carnival neither does Carnival with RCI. Both cruise lines have a solidified place and a solid base. The competition is on the stock market. It doesn't matter to which way 'smuggling' leads: either to less profit in alcohol sales or increased security hence more personnel cost. Neither is wanted by stock holders. So something has to give eventually.

The effects of 'smuggling' are not be seen yet. But cruising becomes more and more common and with more and more folks looking to the simplest way of cheap travel the more common will smuggling become. Carnival and RCI will eventually feel the profit per pax go down. And one of the reasons will be the lack of alcoholic beverage sales. A regular cruise fare is hardly a profitable business. The main income of cruise lines are the shore excursions and all onboard sales of which alcohol is a huge percentage (I reckon the highest percentage).

When cruise travel was more exclusive you probably had the occasional 'smuggler' and a cruise line was still able to make money on the cruise fare. But with the increase of cruise travelers, the building of bigger ships thus dumping the cruise fares to fill those ships, the onboard sales have become the main income of cruise lines.

Like I said, it may not happen tomorrow, or in a year or in two years, but eventually it will happen.

I personally find the 'smuggling' of alcohol a childish behavior and shows that some people are just not ready to explore the big world.

How about fake binoccular flasks? Or You can strap 6-8 beer cans to your belly with a beer belt. This also works to smuggle in your favorite potion to a ball game or even the movies! :p http://www.drinkingstuff.com/drinkingstuff_hats_belts.htm

Or you can really do a double fake on em, and get this fake flask and smuggle your cigarettes in it. http://www.homewetbar.com/martini-cocktails-liquor-flasks-c-26_49.html :D

Of course who would think of checking your cellphone?

http://www.cellphoneflasks.com/cell-phone-flasks.html

Seriously, I have never had any problem stashing a few (30-40) miniatures packed in double baggies in my checked baggage. They are great for "spicing up" the frozen drinks up on the pool deck.

Good luck and have fun!:)

. A regular cruise fare is hardly a profitable business. The main income of cruise lines are the shore excursions and all onboard sales of which alcohol is a huge percentage (I reckon the highest percentage).

I wouldn't doubt this given my bar bill with the kids on the last cruise.

Jimmers

Or how about ordering the RCI Visa credit card and get the $150 onboard credit (a couple of cards and you have $300). Then go to the RCI Gifts and order yourself the Champagne or wine delivered to your cabin. And RCI makes $25 from BankAmerica , so everybody is Happy! Plus you may even have enough left over for a Spa treatment.:D

Archived