Suggested tours to do

R & C

What would be the best tours to take - we would like to take a helicopter tour over the glaciers - does anyone know of the best co to book online with?

Also other tour info would be good as well pls in Ketchikan & Junea.

I too would like to know the best tours to take in Ketchikan and Juneau as well as Skagway, Valdez, Seward, Kodiak and Sitka.

We are booked on the Tahitian Princess for a 14 day cruise from Vancouver and return at the beginning of September and as this will probably be our only trip to Alaska, we want to see the best of everything.

Thanks from another Aussie.

Jennie

I would probably start by looking at the excursions that the cruise ship is offering - what catches your interest? Or post here what types of things you are interested in. For example, many people love kayaking or fishing. I really enjoy photography and hiking. So the "best" tours and excursions for me would not the "best" tours and excursions for the next person. Give us some idea of your interests then we can give you some direction.

John

We are interested in history and wildlife especially the wildlife which is so different from what we have here.

I also want to see dog sledding and would love to be able to stand on a glacier. We have been to Antarctica and have seen the Chilean glaciers as well as cruising in Prince Christian Sound in Greenland but we have never been up close to one.

Unfortunately, there are so many excursions to choose from with Princess and that is why I would like to hear from experienced Alaskan cruisers about their favourite excursions and ones not to be missed.

Jennie

We are looking for recommendations on excursions on Royal Carribean Seranade of the Seas 6/7/08. We would like to dog sled and either helicopter or floatplane. Those would be the 2 expensive excursions. Which port(s) offer the best dog sled and heli/floatplane tours (Juneau or SKagway)? Are these excursions worth the money in early June or is this too early in the season to see the beauty of it? Also we need to consider the ship dock times.....In Juneau the ship is docked from 7:00-3:00, Skagaway 7:00-6:30. Any recommendations for Icy Strait would also be appreciated.

PS - this is our first cruise, first and probably only time to Alaska!!

Aussie Gal, It's a shame you're on a round-trip. Princess offers a great land tour from Ank up to Deadhorse at the head of the pipeline. Folks here on CC say you see loads of wildlife. ;)

We wanted to go on a smaller ship and we love the Tahitian Princess. We also like the interesting itinerary and the ports we are calling into. Our friends are flying over earlier to do a land cruise but as we are having a wonderful 7 week cruise in April/May, we can only spare a month away in September and we also want to see the Rockies.

We are hoping to see as much as we can and that is the reason I have asked about the best tours to do, so that we can use our time wisely.

Jennie

Aussie Gal - I am so jealous you are going on that cruise; the itinerary is great!

The one excursion I must recommend is kayaking Columbia Glacier in Valdez; it's the most memorable thing I've ever done. Below are the comments from my review. You can read the full review and see pictures by clicking the link in my signature.

You can do the tour independently thru Pangaea (http://www.alaskasummer.com) .

Columbia Glacier Kayaking Review

The following day, with weather much like the day before, I was up early and drove a short distance to Pangaea Adventures’ location in the port area for a 10-hour sea kayak guided excursion to Columbia Glacier. Columbia is the second largest tidewater glacier in the country, and has been retreating steadily since the 1980s, leaving an 8-mile field of floating ice in front of it.

I had never kayaked before, but the tour was advertised as no experience necessary, and it looked too good on the internet to pass up. There were 4 other people on the tour; our guide was Nick. After gearing up and going through a short safety briefing, we boarded a water taxi and headed for Heather Bay, slowing down for the more scenic parts. After about 45 minutes, small chunks of ice were visible in the water; they gradually became bigger and bigger. Shortly, the boat stopped on a small island; we unloaded our gear and boarded the kayaks. It took a little while for me to get comfortable in the kayak and trust that it was not going to tip.

From there, our guide navigated us through the calm waters and forest of blue-white bergy bits for about 2 hours. Due to the weather, the glacier itself was largely concealed during our paddle, and it rained for most of the time, but thanks to my gear I was never cold, wet or uncomfortable. We stopped briefly for lunch (with hot chocolate provided by our prepared guide), and then paddled away from the ice toward forested islands in search of wildlife. Along the way, we saw several bald eagles, a seal, a couple of sea otters, and best of all, a black bear, which appeared as we sat silently in a cove filled with salmon. The bear hung around for about 10 minutes before we moved on.

Two hours later, we “docked” on a small island, packed up our gear, and water for the water taxi to come fetch us. The whole experience was incredible and surreal, and it turned out to be not only my most amazing experience in Alaska, but probably my entire life.

Thanks Patrick,

I am looking forward to reading your review and have printed out the above post. Thanks for your suggestion for Valdez, it does sound fun and also the wildlife sounds unreal. There will be four of us so that is the right number. Is the gear provided or do you have to bring your own coats etc.

Jennie

Thanks Patrick,

I am looking forward to reading your review and have printed out the above post. Thanks for your suggestion for Valdez, it does sound fun and also the wildlife sounds unreal. There will be four of us so that is the right number. Is the gear provided or do you have to bring your own coats etc.

Jennie

The outfitter provided gear, so combine that with whatever you may have and you will likely be fine. The best thing they give you is some padded hand warmer / pot - holder type gloves that keep your hands warm and dry while paddling.

Wildlife sightings vary as you know, but the floating ice itself is amazing.

My review can take time to download so just be patient with it. :)

How I envy you Aussie Gal. We were signed up for this trip - it would have been our 4th trip to Alaska and we were looking forward to this "extended" itinerary.

I must really express a "MUST DO" in Sitka. Check out http://www.puffinsandwhales.com with Capt. Davey. We had the most wonderful wildlife excursion with him and were planning on (actually had him booked) for our upcoming trip in July until we "jumped ship" for a transatlantic instead of the Alaska cruise.

Ketchikan is our favorite stop. Misty Fjord flightseeing is wonderful, but you will be in port for such a short time, and there is so much to walk around and see - you CAN'T MISS Creek Street!! If you do a Misty Fjords excursion, plan it so you have time either FIRST or LAST so you can have an hour or 2 to walk Creek Street (and the City Park behind the Totem Heritage Center - very peacefull). Juneau - check out Shrine of St. Terese. It is about 25 miles out of Juneau and you could either rent a car or hire a cab for the day (about $55/per hour per cab,not per person), and of course, can't miss Mendenhall Glacier (MGT bus $6/per person from town each way) Skagway, you must get up to the Yukon, either train or bus tour or a combination of the 2. Valdez is new, but check out tours with Columbia Glacier. Kodiak - must be a bear viewing there, that would be a top priority. For Seward, check out http://www.ididaride.com

Hope this gives you just a few ideas. Hope you enjoy Alaska as much as we have !!!

Linda

Sorry, forgot to mention, we have not been to Valdez, Seward, or Kodiak. Those suggestions were just things we had thought of doing. Just wanted to suggested some ideas for you to check out in those areas.

Linda

Aussie Gal, For dogsledding and glacier walk if you are in Seward the Godwin tour is great. It is the least cancelled dogsledding helicopter trip. Plus you go on real sleds not the ones with wheels.

We are so wishing to come to Australia some day. I would love to see the wildllife there. It is high on our priority list.

MDeane,

Thanks for that great information. Do you have an email address for the tour?

Our wildlife is amazing, just so different from anywhere else in the world. My favourites are the platypus, the koalas and the wombats. I also love our kangaroo and wallabies but am looking forward to seeing a different type of animal in the far north.

I am sure you would love our country and New Zealand as well. Two totally different islands but similar people.

Jennie

Archived