PV sidetrip: Yalapoc and Majahuitas -Anyone?

shops54

Has anyone tried the catamaran to Yelapoc and Majahuitas (HAL excursion)? It is 7 hours. Does it leave in the morning or when? We usually take only one excursion per cruise and this one looks really nice but at 7 hours maybe not - there are some other things we hope to see in PV as well and I'm afraid we wouldn't have time left. Also, We aren't big drinkers so if the open bar on the way back causes things to get crazy it may not be our best choice. Any ideas?? Thanks

We visited Yelapa several years ago while spending a week at a timeshare. It is a long boatride to get to a very nice lagoon. At the time we went, it was only accessible by boat.

Good food can be found on several of the beachside restaurants and a waterfall can be visited either by horseback or you can walk up into the hills. I would suspect they have also added some water activities in the lagoon.

There are many other things to see and do in PV, so I cannot recommend you spend the entire day traveling on a catamaran just to see the place unless you are really into primitive jungle locations.

So I'm thinking, and I might be wrong,that many things to do in PV are things I've already done in Cozumel etc etc. This time around I thought I'd visit the beautiful churches and then concentrate on the little out of the way villages; Stone Island and wherever else I could find, and maybe buy trinkets that were more one-of-a-kind and see places that were more different than alike. We loved our stop in Progreso last year - which is what got me thinking this way. I want to look at my little abalone shell earrings and remember the experience of buying them from a woman crafter in the back alley of Belize, and the old lady who called me "darling" when I bought the black gauze shirt in Progreso. That's really why this Yelapa trip appeals to me. I have plenty of beaches at home and drinks are drinks; I want to go deeper. So, now that you're inside my head, do you think this the right trip for us or do you have other suggestions? Thanks to everyone who replies. - Eileen

OK.

I checked with my wife who has a black belt in both shopping and purchasing with oak leaf clusters in the latter. She could not recall any shopping in Yelapa although it was over 10 years ago so things could have changed.

Stone Island is in Mazatlan, if I'm not mistaken and is known more for its beaches than its shopping. For something a little different in PV, try eating in one of the jungle restaurants. They are something unique and about 40 minutes south of town.

Also, in PV, they are many artisan shops located off the beaten path. You need to look for them inland from the Malecon.

I don't want to talk you out of Yelapa but it is a long trip and you might want to do a little research into the area before committing to a whole day.

Archived