Question about travel authorization

CrtnyGbs

Good Morning Everyone

Last month I posted about getting a passport for the DD but not being able to contact her father. I was able to get her a passport but now I have another question. Do I still need the letter of authorization or is the passport enough to get here on the cruise. I want to thank all of the wonderful parents that responded to my last post. It really gave me great information.

Courtney

The passport is enough to get on the ship; however, it would be advisable to bring with you whatever kind of documentation you provided to the passport agency to allow you to get your DD's passport without her father's signature - especially if you are going to Mexico. Mexico requires a parental concent for children traveling with only one parent - it is not the Cruiseline that needs it. Having that documentation will avoid any problems SHOULD you be asked. You PROBABLY won't be asked for anything (I wasn't asked for my letter when I was traveling alone with my DD), but if you don't have it, Murphy's Law says that's when some governmental agency will ask you for something.

The passport is enough to get on the ship; however, it would be advisable to bring with you whatever kind of documentation you provided to the passport agency to allow you to get your DD's passport without her father's signature - especially if you are going to Mexico. Mexico requires a parental concent for children traveling with only one parent - it is not the Cruiseline that needs it. Having that documentation will avoid any problems SHOULD you be asked. You PROBABLY won't be asked for anything (I wasn't asked for my letter when I was traveling alone with my DD), but if you don't have it, Murphy's Law says that's when some governmental agency will ask you for something.

I agree! If you have any papers than bring them with you. The passport *should* be all you need. But you never know.

If you are flying out of the U.S., the airlines will ask you for the documentation that you have permission from the other parent to take your child out of the country. I have known people who were not allowed to board the plane w/o this notarized letter. So OceanDreamin has great advice about whatever you used to get the passport. you should probably check with your airline.

Archived