Marigot- Worth it?

birthdaysurprise

Our plan is to hit Marigot, Orient then Pburg. Just wondering if we will have enough time for all 3. Is Marigot worth the time? We love to shop, good stuff, not trinkets, and good food. Just trying to decide if we should go to Marigot then Orient, or skip Marigot and go straight to Orient, and then shop in Pburg. Input please!!!!! :confused:

If it were my choice, I'd go to Marigot for early shopping and then head to Orient to spend the rest of the day there, including renting lounges and an umbrella, having lunch and drinks, swimming, walking, etc. You could also do it vice versa and hit Orient first, have lunch, and then head to Marigot for a couple of hours in the afternoon. We'd skip Philipsburg, except as maybe a last little "time to kill" before taking the water taxi to the ship. You don't want to leave Orient so late that you risk missing the ship, so that's why I mention last minute shopping in Philipsburg because it's a short water taxi from Front St. to the pier. We love Orient and could easily spend the bulk of the day there with only a little shopping in Marigot and then that last minute walk along Front St.

A caveat: We are not huge shoppers, so you'll probably want input from people who spend more time shopping. Marigot is supposed to have good shopping, but it's different from Philipsburg--obviously considering that Marigot is French and Philipsburg is Dutch. We enjoyed a walk along Front St., tasting the St. Martin liqueurs/rums, and doing a little shopping (for a nice watch for my BIL). I noticed lots of stores, but didn't really pay attention to all the opportunities. I'm sorry that we missed the spice market at Marigot, that's my type of shopping. (I can't seem to pass up food/spice/kitchen goods markets; my DH can't pass up interesting and unique hardware stores--We are such cliches in that regard. LOL.)

beachchick

and skip Orient. Marigot has excellent restaurants and interesting shops. Also a great supermarket at the edge of town. P'burg is better for jewelry and liquor. At Orient you may see a lot of ugly bodies parading around half dressed or nude.

The Match supermarket has a lot of stuff for the kitchen.

I have to disagree that you see a lot of "ugly" bodies "parading" around nude. Yes, you will see topless women; yes, you will likely see some nudity; no, not every "body" you see will be a Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie look-a-like. Almost no one is "parading" around the beach. People are there enjoying the beach, period. If someone perceives it as "parading" for those people to actually walk along the beach or swim in the water, then they are quite mistaken.

It's not a beauty contest--It's a beach that allows the usual French beach customs. Orient is a lovely beach with many people who are lovely--some inside and some outside and some both (and perhaps some who are neither). Obviously, Orient is not a good place for someone like m steve, who's priorities seem to be that only "good looking" people should be allowed on the beach, while the other 99% of the population should be banned. That's not a good "fit" for going to ANY beach on the French side of the island because they ALL allow topless sunbathing, and most of the women doing so are not Victoria's Secret models, but rather real, every day women of all ages, shapes, and sizes.

Not wanting to see topless or nude people on the beach is, of course, perfectly fine. I simply don't agree with the attitude that it's "ugly" and that those who go there are doing so to "parade" like a side show.

beachchick

was a lot of jerks off cruise ships bouncing their bellies, etc along the shore and not confined the Club Orient. I prefer looking at Branjolina type people. If I wanted to see flabby bodies I could just look in the mirror. I think that the rush to OB is not for a European type beach experience but voyerism/exobitionism at its lowest. I've been there and done that and I'd rather get a good bowl of fish soup in Marigot.

...I think that the rush to OB is not for a European type beach experience but voyerism/exobitionism at its lowest. I've been there and done that and I'd rather get a good bowl of fish soup in Marigot.

You obviously have spent little if any time at Orient. I'm there 3 weeks a year and IMHO you indeed should really go for that fish soup expedition in Marigot.

Our plan is to hit Marigot, Orient then Pburg. Just wondering if we will have enough time for all 3. Is Marigot worth the time? We love to shop, good stuff, not trinkets, and good food. Just trying to decide if we should go to Marigot then Orient, or skip Marigot and go straight to Orient, and then shop in Pburg. Input please!!!!! :confused:

I would definitely go to Marigot as a first stop for shopping and browsing. The food is good in Marigot, but you can get excellent food at Orient.

Do not miss Orient, but leave some time to shop in Philipsburg on the way back to the ship.

I am a beach lover and in my opinion Orient Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, with some of the most beautiful people, and I do not mean their bodies. I have been to Club Orient, just topless because I personally am not comfortable being nude in public, and feel much less self conscious there with my flabby body than at a "normal" beach. If you are uncomfortable about seeing all kinds of people topless and/or nude, then stay away from Club Orient. But avoiding Orient Beach totally would be missing out on spending time at a beautiful beach. And for any women who have never tried swimming topless in perfect water, you cannot imagine what you are missing. Just be very careful not to get sunburned. This visit we will have our daughters with us and will not bring them to Club Orient, so I can understand that it is not for everyone everytime.

Orient beach is one of the most beautiful beaches my husband & I have been to. When we are on a ship we head to Orient as soon as we can get off and we usually stay until 4 or so. If we have time we shop where the ship docks. We will be in St. Maarten in Feb. for 10 days and we can't wait. And you can bet we will be at Orient beach most every day. There is more to the beach than the nudity. I personally wear my bathing suit and the people that chose not to don't bother us. The water, the scenery, the food and the drinks are just heaven. We have traveled in the Caribean for many years, and have been to most of the islands and we feel that St. Maarten and Orient beach is our favorite.

I am a beach lover and in my opinion Orient Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, with some of the most beautiful people, and I do not mean their bodies. I have been to Club Orient, just topless because I personally am not comfortable being nude in public, and feel much less self conscious there with my flabby body than at a "normal" beach. If you are uncomfortable about seeing all kinds of people topless and/or nude, then stay away from Club Orient. But avoiding Orient Beach totally would be missing out on spending time at a beautiful beach. And for any women who have never tried swimming topless in perfect water, you cannot imagine what you are missing. Just be very careful not to get sunburned. This visit we will have our daughters with us and will not bring them to Club Orient, so I can understand that it is not for everyone everytime.

:D Oh yes, what I call the "bouyancy factor" that helps "reverse" what time and gravity have effected. I too prefer to be topless, rather than fully nude. I think it's great when people feel comfortable enough in their own skin to enjoy the beach and their surroundings.

You know, it's funny to me when people say that they want to see "perfect" bodies and not regular, imperfect ones. I wonder if they close their eyes all the time at beaches where people are "clothed" (and I use the term loosely considering that thong bikinis aren't exactly hiding any imperfections) too. After all, they have to see all those non-model bodies.

Sure, who doesn't like the sight of an attractive body...I'm married, not dead. But I don't go to Orient or any other beach to spend my day looking at others (and judging them). I go to enjoy the beach and hope to meet nice people there. If they are happy with who they are, then they are beautiful.

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...

Archived