Dawn to Bermuda 2008

Dr_DNA

We are in the planning stage for a trip to Bermuda aboard the Dawn and are booking a balcony. We want to have a nice early morning view of the islands when in port and were wondering if we would be best suited to get a port or starboard stateroom.

Also, I've heard that cruise lines offer great deals at the beginning of the year. Is this true? We're very flexiable about when we can go so we're not set on a specific date. However, several of the Bermuda cruises next year already seem like a good deal.

Any insights? Thanks for any advice that anyone has.

The Dawn will be docking at King's Wharf. It could dock with either side closest to the pier, as wind direction is the determing factor. I'm not sure in which direction the prevailing winds come from.

But you'll get great views of Bermuda from either side anyways, one side will be close up, the other side more further away.

According to the latest maps issued by Bermuda tourism, cruise ships usually dock with the bow facing in the direction the ship would sail when leaving Bermuda. Thus in Hamilton, ships dock with the starboard side facing the Front Street dock. In St. George and King's Wharf, the ships would dock with the port side to the dock. It makes sense because it is more practical for the ship to turn around when entering port than when leaving.

We have booked a starboard side balcony cabin for our October Dawn cruise because we prefer facing southeast which gives us a view of most of Bermuda, the harbor etc. In addition, it is quieter than dockside where there are always people getting on and off ship, vehicle traffic etc. However, if you like to watch the sunset from your balcony and a view of the dockyard area, then select a port side cabin.

I also agree that you will probably get the best price, and cabin selection if you book early. I intend to book my October 2009 Dawn Bermuda cruise as soon as it is available.

Please note that the May 4th sailing does not "dock" at all for the 3 days in Bermuda, it is at anchor off kings wharf.... Not a good way to spend 3 days tendering all the time. We are thinking of the May 11th cruise with good prices and its does DOCK...

Please note that the May 4th sailing does not "dock" at all for the 3 days in Bermuda, it is at anchor off kings wharf.... Not a good way to spend 3 days tendering all the time. We are thinking of the May 11th cruise with good prices and its does DOCK...

Here's what the NCL web site shows as the May 4, 2008 itinerary.

Sun New York City - 4:00 PM

Mon At Sea - -

Tue At Sea - -

Wed King's Wharf (At Anchor) 8:00 AM Overnight

Thu King's Wharf (At Anchor) 7:00 AM

Thu King's Wharf 9:00 AM Overnight

Fri King's Wharf - 5:00 PM

Sat At Sea - -

Sun New York City 8:00 AM -

Seems to me it will dock on Thursday morning until Friday afternoon.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong itinerary? Where did you get your info?

I got mine at http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/itineraries.html?destinationCode=BERMUDA&destinationCode=CARIBBEAN&shipCode=DAWN

Thanks all! Everyone is so helpful on these boards.

We were ready to book our May Bermuda trip and now we're having second thoughts after talking with our TA. She advised us against going in May because of the water temperature. She said that the September/October season is the better shoulder season becasue the water temp is is higher. She said it doesn't really warm up until June. Anyone have any comments on this? Is it really too cold to "enjoy" the water in May? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!

We've been in May and it was a tad bit on the chilly side...probably mid 70's. But being from the Northeast, not cool enough to stop us from going into the water!

We typically sail the second week of June when the water is usually around 78 degrees. But we did just go in October and the water was in the low 80's.

Check out www.weather.bm for historical averages for air and sea temps.

We are in the planning stage for a trip to Bermuda aboard the Dawn and are booking a balcony. We want to have a nice early morning view of the islands when in port and were wondering if we would be best suited to get a port or starboard stateroom.

Also, I've heard that cruise lines offer great deals at the beginning of the year. Is this true? We're very flexiable about when we can go so we're not set on a specific date. However, several of the Bermuda cruises next year already seem like a good deal.

Any insights? Thanks for any advice that anyone has.

You must book before 12/1/2007 to avoid - "NCL Corporation announced today that it will begin assessing guests a fuel supplement in response to record high fuel prices. Effective on all new NCL and NCL America bookings made on or after December 1, 2007, the fuel supplement will be $7 per person per day for the first and second guests in a stateroom and $3 per person per day for any additional guests in the same stateroom".

When the Dawn was docked at King's Wharf in Bermuda last year, port side was towards the dock. You can't go wrong with starboard view here though, it is really beautiful.

We have been to Bermuda in both May and October with the weather and water temperature preferable in Oct.

We just love Bermuda, and will definitely cruise there again.

Archived