Need to Tip Hotel Maid in Barcelona?

Does anybody know if it's customary to tip the hotel maid in Barcelona? Thanks in advance for any information.

I would think something like you usually tip.

If you usually leave the hotel maid a little something, then do so in BCN, but don't feel obligated to do so.

And Kindlychap - I'm sorry but your comment was not very kindly.

I would think something like you usually tip.

If you usually leave the hotel maid a little something' date=' then do so in BCN, but don't feel obligated to do so.

And Kindlychap - I'm sorry but your comment was not very kindly.[/quote']

God save us from Americans with no sense of humour, or realisation when others may not be completely serious......

Incidentally, the rule in Barcelona is not to do what you normally do, but to do what the locals do.

Remember the old rule "when in Rome, do as the Romans do....". Unfortunately Americans find this difficult, and seem to think their own rules apply the world over. Which is why this dreadful tipping habit is spreading over the planet, in a plague that follows McDonalds and Starbucks.

Matthew

God save us from Americans with no sense of humour, or realisation when others may not be completely serious......

Incidentally, the rule in Barcelona is not to do what you normally do, but to do what the locals do.

Remember the old rule "when in Rome, do as the Romans do....". Unfortunately Americans find this difficult, and seem to think their own rules apply the world over. Which is why this dreadful tipping habit is spreading over the planet, in a plague that follows McDonalds and Starbucks.

Matthew

Matthew, I think the problem lies in fact that not all members of Cruise Critic are familiar with your sense of humor. Since no one can hear your tone, you should not be surprised when your words are interpreted differently than you meant them. Also, not everyone on this board has traveled to Europe before, where the tipping norm is different than in the States, so please have a bit of patience. If you find us difficult, perhaps you might consider educating us kindly or skipping comment altogether.

Karen

Does anybody know if it's customary to tip the hotel maid in Barcelona? Thanks in advance for any information.

We have travelled to Spain lots of times and never thought of tipping the hotel staff. It's definitely not expected. We always tip restaurant/bar staff about 10-15% and just "round up" to the nearest Euro for taxi drivers, but that's it!

Don't feel mean :) , thats the norm as far as we are aware.

Thanks for the info uktraveller.

Most times on these tipping threads, if someone says they usually don't tip, or tip less than a certain specified amount, a lot of other posters gang up and call them 'cheap', and this usually seems to be American posters (I am American btw).

Host Karen, I'd appreciate people who name-call when others do not tip as they do, to be reprimanded as you reprimanded Kindlychap.

I can see peoples' aggravation with American tipping 'practices' because they aggravate me and I live here!

Lol, Hi Marci,

Just telling it as I see it! Hope people don't think I'm cheap - my DH wouldn't agree!!:D

And just in case anyone's tempted............... we try to abide by "local" rules, so when we're in USA or on RCI cruise, for example, we tip as Americans would!

BTW - I'm on your Brilliance roll call!

Host Karen, I'd appreciate people who name-call when others do not tip as they do, to be reprimanded as you reprimanded Kindlychap.

Personal attacks on other members are not allowed on the boards, but I wasn't reprimanding Kindlychap. I don't think he would appreciate that. I know I wouldn't.

These boards are terrific, but people sometimes forget that there are members from around the world who have different customs and values. I think it's important that we appreciate other members' points of view and try to learn from them. I also try to remind people that tone does not come through clearly on a computer screen.

Tipping, among other practices, varies from country to country. I suggest travelers learn about the customs in other countries and follow them, much as you would expect a visitor to your country to do. I don't think that chiding someone for their views is acceptable in any country, however.

Karen

Matthew

I'm not American so agree with your comments about tipping, but I have to say I find your condescending manner incredibly tiresome. It is evident in almost all of your posts. I, like a previous poster find your user id a very inapproriate nom de plume.

As usual Host Karen has provided solid advice.

Always know what the custom is in the country you are visiting. In the end, tipping is a personal decision, but knowing the custom is helpful.

If one asked the same question about United States Hotels they would get different answers. Some would say, yes, they tip a hotel maid while others would say they don't. There is no right or wrong answer here but knowing whether or not there is a local custom is helpful.

Keith

Archived