"Cirque" type show on the Dawn?

elgato2

Bollywood was still the "big" show on the repo cruise.

John

I can't believe that old antique BOLLYWOOD is still playing on the Dawn? It's been there for years, I've already suffered through it on 3 cruises. I will be back on the Dawn next October and I hope they I've seen the last of Bollywood and its totally undistinguished and unknown musical score. Some musicals lend themselves to long runs because their songs are enduring. Bollywood wouldn't last a month on Broadway. Why does NCL continue to punish those of us who love the Dawn and keep coming back? Enough already.

I can't believe that old antique BOLLYWOOD is still playing on the Dawn? It's been there for years, I've already suffered through it on 3 cruises. I will be back on the Dawn next October and I hope they I've seen the last of Bollywood and its totally undistinguished and unknown musical score. Some musicals lend themselves to long runs because their songs are enduring. Bollywood wouldn't last a month on Broadway. Why does NCL continue to punish those of us who love the Dawn and keep coming back? Enough already.

There are a few people that have not cruised on the Dawn because of its' positioning in New York. I saw Bollywood for the first time about a week ago and enjoyed it immensely.

I think a lot of you "love" the Dawn so much because you could sail on her right from NY. I am sure you will generate the same love affair with the Gem. Then when you are tired of her, they will let the rest of us sail on her out of Miami like a normal cruise sometime in the future.

John

John

There are a few people that have not cruised on the Dawn because of its' positioning in New York. I saw Bollywood for the first time about a week ago and enjoyed it immensely.

I think a lot of you "love" the Dawn so much because you could sail on her right from NY. I am sure you will generate the same love affair with the Gem. Then when you are tired of her, they will let the rest of us sail on her out of Miami like a normal cruise sometime in the future.

John

John

The Dawn will continue sailing out of New York on 7 day cruises to Bermuda for at least the next several years. As far as I know, they haven't painted over the Statue of Liberty on the side of her hull? Since John enjoyed Bollywood "immensely," perhaps he could mention the title of one of its songs? After seeing it three times, the only thing I remember about it is the costumes.

Does anyone know if the Dawn has this as one of their evening shows?

We saw it on the Jewel last year and it was excellent..would like to see it again.

I saw this show on the Star last week and it was excellent! Hope you get to see it on your cruise.

The Dawn will continue sailing out of New York on 7 day cruises to Bermuda for at least the next several years. As far as I know, they haven't painted over the Statue of Liberty on the side of her hull? Since John enjoyed Bollywood "immensely," perhaps he could mention the title of one of its songs? After seeing it three times, the only thing I remember about it is the costumes.

Hate to call you out on this, Dolphins, but the Dawn is indeed sailing the Miami market.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/itineraries.html?shipCode=DAWN

DawnItin.jpg

Also, I enjoyed this show as well. I almost didn't attend, simply because of all the bad rap the show gets on this board.....I'm glad I went.

Unfortunately, I don't remember receiving a set list, so I can't tell you any of the names of the songs...but the lighting, coreography, and stunts were fascinating.

Hate to call you out on this, Dolphins, but the Dawn is indeed sailing the Miami market.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/itineraries.html?shipCode=DAWN

DawnItin.jpg

Also, I enjoyed this show as well. I almost didn't attend, simply because of all the bad rap the show gets on this board.....I'm glad I went.

Unfortunately, I don't remember receiving a set list, so I can't tell you any of the names of the songs...but the lighting, coreography, and stunts were fascinating.

I hate to call you out on this, giventofly, but the Dawn will be sailing out of New York on 7 day cruises to Bermuda from May to October during the next several years so she will be sailing out of New York as many months as out of Miami. I have booked on her in October 2008 and look forward to booking my favorite ship to my favorite island for many more future Octobers. By the way, did you notice on the Dawn the beautiful brass sculptures on the wall of the stairway going up from Gatsby's? They are not scenes of Miami.

As for Bollywood, you would need a set list to remember any of the songs because they certainly weren't memorable on their own. Lighting, choreography and costumes do not the musical make- it's the music.

Nevertofly

Well "nevertofly" ( a bit of a rude shot ) or should I say "Dolphins",

Yes, the Dawn will be back in NY for the hurricane season, and Bollywood will probably be one of the shows. I am also very sure there are other NY'ers that have not sailed the Dawn as frequently as you and would enjoy the show. But, in a somewhat typical fashion there are those that want everything their way and be damned anyone else.

As I said previously you will have the GEM (and also the Jade) in NY year'round and will probably tire of the Dawn and she will be sent packing back to us as leftovers. Those of us that are not afraid to fly will continue to travel to our favorite cruise embarkation port out of Miami. I did finally get to sail on the Dawn but had to do it out of NY and really don't want to that again. New York is a great place but it filled with "new yorkers".

John

Wow! All I did was ask a question about the 'Cirque' show...doesn't take much to incite a riot on these boards!

Sorry we got off topic. I thought the Cirque show on the Jewel was outstanding and hopefully we will see a similar production on the Dawn before too long. I am confident that an overwhelming majority of Dawn passengers will find the Cirque productions much more enjoyable than Bollywood.

I remain extremely grateful to NCL for being the first to sail year round out of New York. Now we have Carnival, Princess. RCI, Celebrity & HAL all following in NCL's wake eager to cater to the 20 million people in the New York metro area who don't find flying "immensely enjoyable."

Thanks Dolphins...We'll probably try the Bollywood show..we like to see something besides the production numbers..after 10+ cruises they get OLD.

Glad NYers have so many cruise choices just like us Floridians...makes cruisijng so much less stressful and reasonable too!

I hate to call you out on this, giventofly, but the Dawn will be sailing out of New York on 7 day cruises to Bermuda from May to October during the next several years so she will be sailing out of New York as many months as out of Miami. I have booked on her in October 2008 and look forward to booking my favorite ship to my favorite island for many more future Octobers. By the way, did you notice on the Dawn the beautiful brass sculptures on the wall of the stairway going up from Gatsby's? They are not scenes of Miami.

As for Bollywood, you would need a set list to remember any of the songs because they certainly weren't memorable on their own. Lighting, choreography and costumes do not the musical make- it's the music.

Nevertofly

AAAh. I guess I misread your post regarding the itinerary. Apologies. I was incorrect in my understanding of what you were getting at. Sorry. Don't think the name shot was really necessary, though.

As for Bollywood, I would only say that I did not consider ANY of the singing on the Dawn to be anything to write home about. (except Jumari and Gabrielle playing the lounges in the evenings). By the last couple days of the cruise, when they did Bollywood, I only went for the cirque-esque portions of the show. If it were a standard musical...I wouldn't have gone.

It's really not fair to compare cruise ship entertainment with broadway anyway. It's like compairing AA baseball to the All Star game. If the college players were the best in the world at baseball..they'd be playing in the Majors. No offense to the people that perform these shows on a daily basis....they have more musical and dance talent than I'll ever hope to have, but let's face it....cruise ships are the minor leagues of professional performance art.

Sorry giventofly, no offense intended but after recent experiences in flying I seriously doubt I will ever get on another plane again. Happy to have many cruise options without flying anywhere.

Agree with you about the talent on the Dawn going downhill. This was not always the case. Their inaugural seasons in New York had such talented performers as Pamala Stanley, Anna Y Los Vientos, Best of Friends, Vladimir Krevian etc. (where are they now?). The production numbers featured music by prominent Broadway composers. I suspect NCL is trying to avoid hefty royalties in performing the music of legends. In contrast the composer of Bollywood (whoever he is) would probably pay NCL to feature his "music."

In contrast the composer of Bollywood (whoever he is) would probably pay NCL to feature his "music."

HA! That was clever. I'm glad we can still be friends :)

BTW....sorry to hear about your flight experience. in my case, giventofly has nothing to do with airplanes. Have you checked out the what does my online name mean thread? Pretty intresting reading.

HA! That was clever. I'm glad we can still be friends :)

BTW....sorry to hear about your flight experience. in my case, giventofly has nothing to do with airplanes. Have you checked out the what does my online name mean thread? Pretty intresting reading.

Thanks for the clarification. Interesting story that few of us would have ever have concluded. I just thought you liked to fly or were a pilot.

The origin of my name appears on the first page of the same thread and has nothing to do with Miami's pathetic football team. Like yours, it relates to experiences in my past.

Not only is it the music, but the singers.

In the case of the Dawn, my memory of Bollywood was that it was OK except that the "lead" singers were not very good. Either their monitors were off or they felt they had to yell out the songs beyond their range. Either way, it was painful to try and listen to them.

We do enjoy going to the "Broadway-style" shows on our cruises, but that was the worst one we have seen so far. That is one reason we have not tried to repeat on a ship yet. We prefer to get the chance to see a different show on each cruise.

Not only is it the music, but the singers.

In the case of the Dawn, my memory of Bollywood was that it was OK except that the "lead" singers were not very good. Either their monitors were off or they felt they had to yell out the songs beyond their range. Either way, it was painful to try and listen to them.

We do enjoy going to the "Broadway-style" shows on our cruises, but that was the worst one we have seen so far. That is one reason we have not tried to repeat on a ship yet. We prefer to get the chance to see a different show on each cruise.

We first saw Bollywood on the Dawn in 2004 and two more times since. We return to the Dawn in October and hopefully we will see a new show by then? After 4 years, those fancy costumes must be getting a little frayed by now.

Archived