crime on cruise ships

Have just finished watching a t.v. program in Canada which talks about crime on cruise ships - apparently many sexual assaults and rape comitted by crew members. We are booked in Jan./08 for our 12th cruise and have never experienced or been witness to any crime on any of the cruise ships we have been on. According to this expose cruising is not the safe vacation one thinks it is. Has anyone out there had any bad experiences while at sea. They showed some pretty convincing interviews and films but could this just be a lot of media hype and a lot of small incidents made to look like cruising is risky. Any comments?

Cruising Goldenagers:confused:

Have just finished watching a t.v. program in Canada which talks about crime on cruise ships - apparently many sexual assaults and rape comitted by crew members. We are booked in Jan./08 for our 12th cruise and have never experienced or been witness to any crime on any of the cruise ships we have been on. According to this expose cruising is not the safe vacation one thinks it is. Has anyone out there had any bad experiences while at sea. They showed some pretty convincing interviews and films but could this just be a lot of media hype and a lot of small incidents made to look like cruising is risky. Any comments?

Cruising Goldenagers:confused:

...it is media hype......they are all trying to out sensationalize each other......:rolleyes:

Think about how many ships are sailing, how many people cruise every week and how many incidents are reported.

RCI has 22 ships with an average of 2500+ per week on each ship = something around 50K Pax per week. That's just RCI.

How many incidents are reported in your home town per week?

It's like anything else, pay attention to what's going on around you.

At least some percentage of the incidents involve alcohol and drinking to excess.

As I said, just think about the numbers.

How many incidents are reported in your home town per week?

It's like anything else, pay attention to what's going on around you.

At least some percentage of the incidents involve alcohol and drinking to excess. As I said, just think about the numbers.

I watched the programme. Facts were given, but not elaborated upon, Leaving one with a worry. As mentioned in the programme, Pay attention to what goes on around you, even if you are aboard a cruise ship. There are problems wherever you go, or more acurately there could be problems wherever you go, so, pay attention to your surroundings. Don't be lulled into believing "It couldn't happen here" -" IT " could happen anywhere.

But, as to the question above: "How many incidents are reported in your home town per week" My answer is, thankfully, NONE - Not in the 14 years Ive lived here, but then again this is rural Nova Scotia, Canada.

Have just finished watching a t.v. program in Canada which talks about crime on cruise ships - apparently many sexual assaults and rape comitted by crew members. ......... Any comments? Cruising Goldenagers:confused:

Must of been a slow newsday in Canada. ;) :cool:

Those stories were horrible. I feel awful. Just the thought of being alone in the water is enough to get my palms sweaty.

I agree. The website is very informative as to what can and does happen onboard. However, if you think about all the ships and the number of incidents, they are far and few between. In the past the cruiseline did not have to report anything that happened onboard but the people that have created the website have helped to change that. Now the cruiselines have to report to the Coast Guard all crimes or possible crimes at sea. My thoughts are the the Cruiselines have most always turned a blind eye because of the negative publicity. ;)

There are millions of passengers on cruise ships each year and with this amount of people you will have a certain amount of crime. But, just as been said before, the ratio of crimes to passengers is minimal. There is a site which correlates incidents and this can be found by “Googling” “Events at Sea”. The problem is it does show ship’s accidents, illnesses and other unfortunate occurrences so unless you have a real interest just trust me that crime at sea is lower than virtually any other holiday activity…..regards…Neil

"just be a lot of media hype and a lot of small incidents made to look like cruising is risky" pretty much says it all about such stories and the ICV media circus.

How do you know that the inciidents are small? Rapes, are not small incidents. Most of the crimes at sea are rapes and attempted rape.

How do you know that the inciidents are small? Rapes, are not small incidents. Most of the crimes at sea are rapes and attempted rape.

And most of the rapes/attempted rapes are perpetrated upon UNDERAGE GIRLS or drunk and stupid women. The underage girls-where in the h*** are their parents???? What in the h*** was a 12 yo doing with a crew member???? Parenting does count!!!

And you get drunk and stupid-"Looking for Mr. Goodbar". Oh, boy, did that tell my age!!!

And most of the rapes/attempted rapes are perpetrated upon UNDERAGE GIRLS or drunk and stupid women. The underage girls-where in the h*** are their parents???? What in the h*** was a 12 yo doing with a crew member???? Parenting does count!!!

And you get drunk and stupid-"Looking for Mr. Goodbar". Oh, boy, did that tell my age!!!

Drunk and stupid women? And how do you know this? Where did you find that information? Most of those crimes have been committed against women who are over 21. if you care to read the correct information. You must be pretty ignorant to feel the need to post such a terrible assement. Certainly they are just "your" feelings. Have a good day.

One thing I have learned over the years is "Never get myself in that situation". It doesn't matter where you are, you have to be aware of who is around you and how to react to them. It does go to show that children on a ship need to be supervised.

What disturbs me is that the Canadian government can't or won't do anything to help the millions of Canadians who travel annually no matter where they go.

Just recognze that only one side is presented on the website and the program. There are many people out there that don't take responsibility for theri actions and blame whatever happens on others. There are always people who try to scam and con large companies for compensation.

I would not bet on all those stories being the absolute truth.

The Smith story is an example. Somebody knows what really happened and is just not telling.

I would also bet that in a significant number of incidents, alcohol played some part.

After 30 cruises, we feel safer on a ship than in most parking lots after dark in most cities.

I can't even begin to know why you would write something like that. You are sick and need help if you feel this way. No I don't think anything will happen to me while on the cruiseship, but I think that the stories of the families were horrible. I think it is good idea to be aware of the potential risks involved with anything really. I don't know why people are arguing/debating on this site. Bad things have happened and will continue to happen just like with anything else and the posters were just bringing this to light, not trying to say that cruising is horribly dangerous.

Wow, I'm speechless :eek:

###

I can't even begin to know why you would write something like that. You are sick and need help if you feel this way. No I don't think anything will happen to me while on the cruiseship, but I think that the stories of the families were horrible. I think it is good idea to be aware of the potential risks involved with anything really. I don't know why people are arguing/debating on this site. Bad things have happened and will continue to happen just like with anything else and the posters were just bringing this to light, not trying to say that cruising is horribly dangerous.

Well put. :) That was a ignorant post by greatam. Must hate women. :)

Well put. :) That was a ignorant post by greatam. Must hate women. :)

Not an ignorant post in the least. And I AM a woman. Alcohol has been involved in the majority of crimes/incidents on cruise ships. That is a fact.

Drunk/stupid applies to a lot of women in a lot of situations-should have seen them at the "truck driver" bar last night where I met a few of my employees. Asking for trouble and crying foul when it finds them describes about 40% of young, naive women I see on cruise ships and in various venues when they should know better. Why anyone thinks they are protected from whatever may befall them on a cruise ship if they are drunk and stupid is beyond my comprehension???

The US government has little authority to enforce foreign laws or even do initial investigations.

If you cannot realize that when you leave the USA, you are more or less on your own and at the mercy of foreign governments, foreign laws, terrorists, and criminals if you get in trouble, maybe you ought to stay home. Just one of the risks in foreign travel. Accept it or stay home!!!

Not an ignorant post in the least. And I AM a woman. Alcohol has been involved in the majority of crimes/incidents on cruise ships. That is a fact.

Drunk/stupid applies to a lot of women in a lot of situations-should have seen them at the "truck driver" bar last night where I met a few of my employees. Asking for trouble and crying foul when it finds them describes about 40% of young, naive women I see on cruise ships and in various venues when they should know better. Why anyone thinks they are protected from whatever may befall them on a cruise ship if they are drunk and stupid is beyond my comprehension???

Instead of criticizing these women who are in fact victims, maybe you can use your "knowledge" (and I use this word loosely) to educate women on how to protect themselves when in this situation. I do think that there are some women who don't think certain situations through and aren't as safe as they should be...HOWEVER, this does not mean that they deserve to be condemned by you if they fall victim.

And is the news the only thing you get on television in America? ;):cool:

Where was it mentioned that this show was in fact the news?

It was on W5, where they chose a topic, research and report on it. :)

Exactly! W5 has been on the air for decades because of their quality journalism rather than tabloid journalism we often see on American networks. I'm not saying all American investigative journalism is of the tabloid variety but I am agreeing with Albino Mosquito that W5 is professional, quality journalism and that is why it has been on the air since 1966, a year before color TV was launched in Canada. You have to be doing quality work to stay on the air that long.

To the person who said they only told one side of the story...didn't you see the part where the representative of the cruise ship association not only snuck out a back door after READING his brief to the U.S. congressional committee but he refused to answer any questions as he was chased down the corridor and before he jumped on an elevator and closed the door in the face of the reporter? It looks like the industry has plenty to hide.

To those who say they have been on dozens of cruises and don't know of any crimes committed while on board....do you think public announcements are made asking "passengers who may have information about the rape which occured last night on deck 5 please report to passenger services"? Its kept quiet so no one knows about it.

Asking for trouble and crying foul when it finds them describes about 40% of young, naive women I see on cruise ships and in various venues when they should know better. Why anyone thinks they are protected from whatever may befall them on a cruise ship if they are drunk and stupid is beyond my comprehension???

I don't feel anyone who was attacked is asking for it. As for women knowing better; yes women need to monitor the amount of alcohol being consumed but calling women "drunk and stupid" is truly an unfair statement. People tend to let their guard down when they're on vacation and that's clearly not a wise thing to do. We have to be careful and aware of our surroundings at all times.

I have a dear friend who had an unfortunate incident on a cruise ship and she is far from stupid. The incident happened on the one night she happened to drink more than she normally does and this guy took advantage of the situation. She had conversations with him at various times throughout the cruise but he didn't make his move until the night she had one too many. Having that extra drink doesn't make her stupid; she should have made a better decision but it doesn't make her stupid. Nor does it mean she asked for it. She was a victim of a sexual predators actions. It's comments like the ones made by you that cause women not to report these incidents because they feel they would be blamed. And that's exactly what she did...she blamed herself for having that last drink.

I don't feel anyone who was attacked is asking for it. As for women knowing better; yes women need to monitor the amount of alcohol being consumed but calling women "drunk and stupid" is truly an unfair statement. People tend to let their guard down when they're on vacation and that's clearly not a wise thing to do. We have to be careful and aware of our surroundings at all times.

I have a dear friend who had an unfortunate incident on a cruise ship and she is far from stupid. The incident happened on the one night she happened to drink more than she normally does and this guy took advantage of the situation. She had conversations with him at various times throughout the cruise but he didn't make his move until the night she had one too many. Having that extra drink doesn't make her stupid; she should have made a better decision but it doesn't make her stupid. Nor does it mean she asked for it. She was a victim of a sexual predators actions. It's comments like the ones made by you that cause women not to report these incidents because they feel they would be blamed. And that's exactly what she did...she blamed herself for having that last drink.

Maybe stupid was the wrong choice of words. And I feel empathy for your friend. But please tell me what word to use instead of STUPID.

Women know how much they can drink (unless they are extremely naive). They also know when they are "feeling good". Smarts come into play when you STOP drinking at the "feeling good" stage. WAAAAY too many take another drink. In my book that is STUPID/DUMB-or should have known better. Call it what you will-but you GET the point.

I am in a VERY male dominated field-international logistics/transportation. It is about 95% men. And I am probably the most pro-woman woman you will ever meet. But with that mantle comes a LOT of responsibility. You CAN party with the big boys, you just better know how to handle it. It is a very sad thing for me to realize that I spent a lot of years promoting women to the transportation industry and then see women act like STUPID GIRLS.

Two of my best employees (truck drivers) are women. Another I had to let go. She could have probably been the BEST driver I had ever had (30 years in the business). But when she got around "the boys", she forgot WHO she was. She started acting flirty and sexy and give her one drink too many and she was hanging all over "the boys". She made sexual harassment allegations and even implied RAPE. I would have shot one of my employees for anything close to RAPE. When I got to the bottom of the story, too much booze, too much flirting, and on the way down from the booze high,-"oh sh**, I really don't like this guy-what in the h*** am I doing". And these are women that spend their entire days SURROUNDED by men of every stripe.

So women that don't have that day to day experience with men of every stripe need to take DOUBLE the precautions about drinking too much (and acting STUPID).

Archived