San Diego with 18 month old

MommaOML

We'll be cruising out of San Diego in February; our son will be 18 months. Unless I catch an awesome seat sale, he'll be in our laps for the flight. I would really rather NOT bring his car seat, as Air Canada has recently restricted it's luggage policies regarding kids; they're not even gate checking umbrella strollers anymore!

Anyway, when we cruised out of Tampa, we brought my son's infant seat, because he was just 6 months and the luggage policies were better back then. The shuttle we took from the hotel to the port was a mini-bus and didn't have seat belts. If I'd known that when I booked it, I wouldn't have brought his car seat ... what good is it if it's not strapped in?

So, I am hoping to find a bus-style shuttle for San Diego to get us from the airport to our hotel (TBD) and from the hotel to the pier. Any suggestions?

We'll be cruising out of San Diego in February; our son will be 18 months. Unless I catch an awesome seat sale, he'll be in our laps for the flight. I would really rather NOT bring his car seat, as Air Canada has recently restricted it's luggage policies regarding kids; they're not even gate checking umbrella strollers anymore!

Anyway, when we cruised out of Tampa, we brought my son's infant seat, because he was just 6 months and the luggage policies were better back then. The shuttle we took from the hotel to the port was a mini-bus and didn't have seat belts. If I'd known that when I booked it, I wouldn't have brought his car seat ... what good is it if it's not strapped in?

So, I am hoping to find a bus-style shuttle for San Diego to get us from the airport to our hotel (TBD) and from the hotel to the pier. Any suggestions?

Stay at a hotel near the pier with shuttle service. Ask on the West Coast Departures Board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

The airport is so close to the pier! If you can find a hotel with a shuttle in that area, you'll be set.

The pier, and airport are really close. If you want to stay out of the departure boards, I advise you to go to tripadvisor.com and look for a nearby hotel that will offer a shuttle service from the airport and then to the pier. I am sure there are many. If nothing else, you could take a cab. Hotels on Harbor Island and Shelter Island will be very close, and also check out the Gaslamp district and downtown. All within a very small area.

You have me in a bit of a panic -- we are flying Air Canada in 2 weeks. I checked their website and it says:

- Larger collapsible (or non-collapsible) ‘sports utility-type’ strollers, which collapse horizontally, must be checked as baggage, and cannot be checked at the boarding gate.

If travelling with larger strollers that must be checked, we recommend you bring a Snugli or baby sling/harness to safely carry your baby to the boarding gate.

- Smaller collapsible ‘umbrella-type’ strollers, which collapse vertically like an umbrella, may be used up to the boarding gate.

- Strollers can be accepted as carry-on baggage or at the boarding gate if they are of the ‘umbrella type’, collapse vertically, and do not exceed 92 cm (36 in) in length, or 25.5 cm (10 in) in width when collapsed.

NOTE: ‘Umbrella-type’ strollers checked at the gate will be delivered to passengers at the final destination only. Strollers will not be delivered to passengers at any connection points, if applicable.

I read that as you can still gate-check umbrella stroller. Were you told something different? Oh, and we didn't need a car seat in the cab that we took in San Diego.

You have me in a bit of a panic -- we are flying Air Canada in 2 weeks. NOTE: ‘Umbrella-type’ strollers checked at the gate will be delivered to passengers at the final destination only. Strollers will not be delivered to passengers at any connection points, if applicable.

I read that as you can still gate-check umbrella stroller. Were you told something different? Oh, and we didn't need a car seat in the cab that we took in San Diego.

I read on another message board about the luggage restrictions and the gate checking stroller issues. My understanding was that you used to get 1 piece of checked luggage for an in-lap infant PLUS a car seat or stroller or play pen PLUS a gate checked stroller. Now, you get ONE piece of luggage for the in-lap infant, that's it. My interpretation of the above statement (and what happened to some of the parents on my mommy board) is that you could gate check your stroller (say at Regina or Winnipeg), but you won't see it again until your final destination. Which sucks big-time when you're flying out of the prairies and have 2 connections to navigate!

I've got an aquaintance in San Diego ... I will have her check on the cab/car seat status and report back!

We're in Winnipeg -- the last few times, we've checked the stroller and used the Baby Bjorn to navigate through the airports. Has worked like a charm.

But you're right -- one checked item and one carry-on item.

My kid's too heavy for the Bjorn now, so I've upgraded to the Beco. But yeah, the luggage restrictions SUCK!

Is it sad that I'm considering driving from Saskatchewan to San Diego?? Montana is nice to drive through in February, right? ;)

Archived