lunch

nicole9s

One of our stops is in Grand Cayman. We are not into water activities or the beach, so we were debating whether or not to tender into port.

Is it worth it to take the tender to just go to lunch and maybe a shop or two? If so, where would be a recommended place to get good island food/rum/beer? Are there any places where you can also eat while overlooking the water?

Thanks!

We thought Grand Cayman was charming. You might find a restaurant that entices or places to explore by enjoying a ride in a horse-drawn carriage. We loved the Atlantis submarine excursion - the only way we will ever see a coral reef! There are a lot of negative comments on these boards about tendering, but I liked it much better than docking. The docks mean hiking some distance in the heat, on concrete - not fun for the feet and ankles. The tenders were relaxing and cool. Since we didn't have to be on the first boats out or the last ones back, we didn't have to wait more than a few minutes.

We love Breezes and it's right in the port area. It's in the building that's marked "Landmark" and they do have a small balcony area. If you go to this link, there's info about this restaurant, and over on the left side (down a bit) is a place where you can go to check out a sample menu. They also have a bar menu, but you have to ask for it. It has some different items, but it also has a couple of the same items without the side dishes. They will most likely add the tip on the bill, so watch for this so you don't double-tip. After lunch, you could wander around the area. There are lots of shops within a 3 block area.

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_detail.asp?restaurantID=12

We've not been to Hammerhead's. It seems like every time we're trying to go there, it's packed! We'll have to try again next year when we're there. We also like Rackham's. It's right on the water, but we like the food at Breezes better. That is a pretty cool link. I don't remember where I came across it, but there is a lot of info there. Many of the restaurants aren't listed, for some reason, but most are. :)

thanks everyone for the suggestions; if anyone else has any more, feel free to advise!

Question on the Atlantis submarine? Is it worth the $? I'm not sure if it's the one I looked at on X's excursion list, but if it is, it was something like $80/person for 1.5 hrs. Can you book something like that independent of a cruse tour? I would assume yes, but you never know.

We have not done the submarine. Every time we're there, we make the mistake of not booking this in advance a bit and it's always booked. I think next time I am going to get on the ball and do it in advance. If this is something you really want to do, I'd book it in advance, especially if there's going to be a lot of ships in port that day.

Here's their website....

http://www.atlantisadventures.com/grandcayman.cfm

If you go to Cayman Activity Guide (www dot) you should be able to find a discount coupon for this. You may have to register to get the coupon, but the site has a lot of info and pictures. The only thing is they only advertise for those companies that purchase advertising, so you're not going to get info on all the companies there in Cayman, but there's still a lot of info at the site.

I made a notation in my info that when we do this, we need to sit on the left side (when looking at the pilot). Someone had posted that you get a better view from that side. Just thought I'd pass this along. :)

Archived