Sea Sickness

TravelGal22

We are planning a cruise aboard Carnavals Inspiration. I'm trying to decide about our cabin. My boyfriend is worried about getting sea sick so I was wondering what is the best part of the ship to stay. We would like an outside cabin that isn't below a public area. Don't want allot of noise either.

Mid-ship between decks that have cabins would be less motion and less noise. I tend to get sea sick as well but choose to take dramamine and get stay in forward cabins because I like the motion. I know it does not make sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Midship is your best bet, and also the lower the deck the less movement you will feel. I also tend toward seasickness on the smaller ships, however havent really ever felt the movement on the larger ships enough to bother me. Before we took our first cruise I went on ebay and bought a wrist band that sends electical charges to your brain...it is run on a watch battery....it is probably the best investment I have ever made since I have been cruising. It is called the Explorer Band.

Carol

On an episode of Mythbusters on the Discovery channel they tested several non-pharmicological things that are supposed to prevent sea sickness. They showed 2 people that easily got sick in a spinning chair and then tested the preventative meassures on them. The only one that worked was Ginger. And the effect that they showed was dramatic. Both guys got vomiting sick in less than 3 minutes in the spinning chair without the Ginger, but after taking the ginger a few hours before getting into the chair, they were spun for over 10 minutes and finally stopped the test because they weren't feeling queezy at all. My mom has always chewed on ginger snap cookies on airline flights. Ginger pills can be found in drug stores.

I agree with Mom2b41 - Mine is called Relief Band, and it's the best thing I've ever found for seasickness. Ginger did nothing for me, but lots of people swear by it.

I'd also go for the mid ship, lower deck, with staterooms above and below.

On an episode of Mythbusters on the Discovery channel they tested several non-pharmicological things that are supposed to prevent sea sickness. They showed 2 people that easily got sick in a spinning chair and then tested the preventative meassures on them. The only one that worked was Ginger. And the effect that they showed was dramatic. Both guys got vomiting sick in less than 3 minutes in the spinning chair without the Ginger, but after taking the ginger a few hours before getting into the chair, they were spun for over 10 minutes and finally stopped the test because they weren't feeling queezy at all. My mom has always chewed on ginger snap cookies on airline flights. Ginger pills can be found in drug stores.

Check your health food stores for Ginger Candy. If they don't have it try the Vermont Country Store www.vermontcountrystore.com. The VCS even describes ginger candy as helping soothes an upset stomach (take some when traveling to quell motion sickness.) I think a 1-lb bag is 14.95.

Archived