The NCL TIP Forms at Reception

cruznut1111

I didn't know about these forms until our latest cruise when we started running low on cash and haven't run across any notes on CC, so this is to let everyone know that there are standard forms at reception to add additional tips to your account.

The forms are 3 part - one copy for you, one for accounting and one for the person getting the tip. They have two spaces - "I want this to go to the crew fund" or "to go to an individual crew member." Then just fill in who you want it to go to and the amount you want them to have and it just gets added to the onboard account.

So convenient.:)

That's a good thing to know. We were on the 10/28 sailing of NCL Gem and some of the waitresses / waiters who were hustling in the main dining rooms were the same ones busting their butts in the buffet when they were assigned there. Other workers could not have cared less if they served you. I think the quality of service has gone down hill since cruise lines initiated the automatic tipping. Remember when the same waiter served you nightly and knew all your names by the second nigh? Nothing like having my mind read before I even looked at the dessert menu! Free style doesn't have to mean that service will suffer. Nor should passengers be expected to tip extra for routine service. :cool:

We remember when tips were always at the discretion of the passenger and I always thought everyone else tipped like I did. So I 'pinned' a crew member we knew from the old days and quizzed him about the change to included tips (this was on Ren/Oceania). He loved it! Said everyone's income went up. Too many of those "I want to give it to them personally" folks, gave them nothing.

We like the crew tip and ignore it - part of our basic trip cost. Then we can focus only on the crew who WOW us. We still like to do the SURPRISE tip.We do this every cruise and it is so much fun. We call it our personal scholarship program and it is included in our initial budgeting.

This is usually a $50 tip and it goes to someone who never expects to get tips, but has done a great job of making our trip more special. It might be the bar steward who really hustled to get me the perfect drink really fast, or as thawan mentioned, someone with a big smile at 6:30 AM.

Now, before anyone jump to a wrong conclusion, we aren't rich. The $50 is a bottle of wine or a new blouse that I'll skip next week. What it does do is acknowledge the years I spent as a waitress and my husband spent as a grocery bagger, back when we were young and finding a quarter on the sidewalk(1963-1967) meant the difference between eating well or being a little hungry.

• Administrators
We remember when tips were always at the discretion of the passenger and I always thought everyone else tipped like I did. So I 'pinned' a crew member we knew from the old days and quizzed him about the change to included tips (this was on Ren/Oceania). He loved it! Said everyone's income went up. Too many of those "I want to give it to them personally" folks, gave them nothing.

We like the crew tip and ignore it - part of our basic trip cost. Then we can focus only on the crew who WOW us. We still like to do the SURPRISE tip.We do this every cruise and it is so much fun. We call it our personal scholarship program and it is included in our initial budgeting.

This is usually a $50 tip and it goes to someone who never expects to get tips, but has done a great job of making our trip more special. It might be the bar steward who really hustled to get me the perfect drink really fast, or as thawan mentioned, someone with a big smile at 6:30 AM.

Now, before anyone jump to a wrong conclusion, we aren't rich. The $50 is a bottle of wine or a new blouse that I'll skip next week. What it does do is acknowledge the years I spent as a waitress and my husband spent as a grocery bagger, back when we were young and finding a quarter on the sidewalk(1963-1967) meant the difference between eating well or being a little hungry.

The highlighted part above is consistent with every crew member I've spoken to about this issue -- they do much better with the autotip/tip pool. All too often "I don't want it added, I want to hand it to them personally," is the current equivalent of what some people used to say on the last night of the cruise -- "I have to pack, so we're skipping dinner tonight." They skipped tips, too.

I agree with you about considering the basic pool tip part of the cruise cost -- and I like your idea about one BIG tip to surprise someone during the cruise, as well. Good post!

That's a very lovely thing to do, and very nicely said.:)

Cruznutt1111

I also could not agree more! I like to tip extra to someone that does not expect it......just for making my day brighter and it is very true.....what comes around goes around, sometimes it might just take a bit longer than you want!

We do an extra tip too usually to the Pizza guy but last cruise he wasn't at all nice and we really really liked the Naughty Naghty Pasta Guy - haha Really made the cruise and tipped him. When we found him and asked to take pictures with him on the last day you should have seen all the other passengers come up and say thanks to him too - really nice guy!

Cruznutt - I didn't get your message :( - please email me again. It is not my main email - I'll email you back from that... It is kdmat69 @ hotmail.com (of course no spaces...) ;)

Hopefully this time worked. Watch for the engraver...

Can't begin to imagine the fun of the naughty pasta guy...... damn gluten allergy. At least I'm not allergic to margaritas, or wine, or mimosas, or boat drinks,,,,,,,,,,,"girl on the couch wantin' boat drinks"............. I've heard some folks cruise for the food, but I'll take the drinks.:D

Dee - it worked! :D I emailed you back yesterday - please yell if you don't get it. :)

The Naughty Naughty Pasta Guy we mostly saw while he worked at the outdoor grill making Naughty Naughty dogs! ha ha He made the wait in line fun. Only some people were offended a few cruises back and he got repremanded supposedly... and I calmed a rude customer myself once. He was serving the pasta and the lady was complaining about all sorts of things and how Princess was better - I wanted to tell her to go back and they are welcome to her. I Mean her daughter said I should listen to her because this was her - oh my gosh - 20th cruise!! :eek: I was close to saying that this was my 21st! But didn't - I felt so sorry for the Naughty Naughty man! How the crew deals with all these rude people is beyond me. :confused: Debbie

Archived