Alaska with 2 y.o.

twins2go

Hi everyone - I have spent a bunch of time reading and it looks like a great bunch of well-traveled families on this board! I would love to hear some of your thoughts on my latest harebrained scheme :D

Our 27-month-old girls have racked up a fair number of frequent flyer miles for their age, but it's all been to visit grandparents, or, twice, we have joined my in-laws at Atlantis (FIL likes to gamble). The Atlantis trips were beyond fabulous with the little girls. Zero-entry pools everywhere, the "lagoon" beach with no waves, tons of fish to see everywhere, and acres of space to run wild and free (with a parent or grandparent trying to keep up). Also - MIL there to dote over the girls and even babysit every afternoon during naptime and one dinner! I wasn't expecting much... DH and I avoided huge resorts like the plague pre-kids, in favor of romantic small upscale boutique hotels... but I have been converted to a big Atlantis fan as a parent.

Now, we have moved cross-country from Washington DC to Seattle and are getting settled in. What better time to start thinking about vacation? :cool: We are headed down to Florida for Christmas and setting sail with my whole family on a 4-day Bahamas cruise, which will be the girls' first time on a boat of any kind. Honestly, as you can see from my sig, I only have cruised once back 11 years ago and have much preferred land-based vacations since. The Christmas cruise is kind of a fluke, it's something my dearly adored grandmother has wanted to do forever ("Skipping Christmas" a la John Grisham) and everyone has always blown off the idea, but this year I decided she should get her wish and so I put it together and harassed everyone into going along with the plan. :p

So, that's how I started reading here. And now... reading all the positive experiences, especially with kids, I'm kind of coming around to the idea of doing another CRUISE :eek: this summer. First of all, I don't know how long we will live here in Seattle, and while we're here I MUST see Alaska. Grew up in Florida so you can't get more exotic for me. Second, I have floated the idea to MIL (no pun intended) and it looks like I can get them to come along. Third, we wouldn't need to FLY anywhere with the girls, which we have done very often but I still hate.

I didn't THINK I liked cruises, but as a parent I am learning you have to revise a lot of those pre-parenting opinions.

So - what do you guys think? I am looking at the NCL Pearl. There are a couple connecting minisuites left so we could get set up right next to the inlaws. But of course I have a few concerns.

- How is the NCL kids camp for 2 year olds? I am a little skeptical. I am a SAHM, but the girls have done one-morning-a-week "preschool" programs on both coasts and have been left occasionally with babysitters with no separation problems at all. Still, the idea of them mixing it up with 5 year olds in the same room sort of scares me. They would be a month away from their third b-day when we sail.

- Is there anything to do with them in the ports? 2 year olds are not such great shoppers IYKWIM :rolleyes: The faux dog sledding on wheels sounds fun, but would it be too scary? The idea of them in a small whale-watching type boat THISCLOSE to the water kind of freaks me out (which is why they've never been on a boat)!

- This might be the biggest fear of all. The worst thing in the world for a toddler seems to be standing in line. I am worried there will be WAY too much of that with all the embarking/debarking/muster drilling/etc. Maybe by next summer they will have more patience, but at the moment that doesn't seem to be their strong suit. And public meltdowns are not my favorite scene!

- Should I be looking at a different line? Out of Seattle, there are HAL, Princess, RCCL, and Celebrity. It seems to me that the 2 year old factor weighs heavily in favor of NCL, but maybe I am wrong, being a newbie and all. :confused:

We have taken the CCL Spirit to Alaska. Yes Alaska is something you MUST see. We have had GREAT results with the kids camp. I can not speak on the NCL camp for the kids. We been told that CCL is one of the most kid friendly but others will correct me if I am wrong. We been very please with the camps and

will still continue to use them in the future.

There tours which the 2 years (near 3 next year) will enjoy. I not sure about

the faux dog sledding. We have done it with out the kids. Not sure if I would

take 3 year olds on it. But there alot that they can do.

Good luck.

You definitely need to see Alaska. But, honestly, the best way to go would be without the kids. One of the coolest things we've ever done was take a helicopter tour that landed on a glacier. You can't do that with kids in tow. Another favorite was kayaking--again no kids. But, to be fair, there's no reason little kids can't go on the whale watching tour boats. My kids have been on much smaller boats since they were very little.

My Alaska cruise was by far the best vacation I've ever had. Our recent Enchantment cruise was a great cruise too, but we missed out on a lot of things because my 3yo wouldn't go to the kids club.

My advice to you is either go alone or wait a few years until the kids can really enjoy Alaska too. The grandparents will love it too. I definitely plan on taking my kids to Alaska but not for several more years. I'm thinking when the youngest is 8 maybe.

Normally I'm very pro-cruising with even the littlest kids, but I'm not sure Alaska would be the best itinerary mostly because of the excursions.

An Alaskan cruise is a spectacular vacation, to me it beats a Caribbean itinerary any day of the week. But the excursions don't really lend themselves to little, little children and the excursions are, in my opinion, over half the "Alaskan Experience". I wouldn't want to go on an Alaskan cruise and just shop and walk around the town, but I would and have done this on other itineraries with a one or two year old. In Alaska, I want to whale watch, go on a helicopter ride and walk on a glacier and possibly faux dogled or fish. Looking at NCL's excursions, it looks like they will let a 2 year old on most of the excursions (I was surprised, since I can't even book an NCL "dolphin encounter" with my two year old), but I don't know as a parent that I would want my 2 year old in a helicopter, etc.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you do an Alaskan cruise with a 2 year old, I think you would be doing it to simply go on a cruise (which is a fine reason in and of itself). I would definitely plan on going back to Alaska though when the kids are older and can be more participatory in the available activities.

As far as lines, don't worry about them - we've never had any "serious" issues in the lines. As far as the kids' club, I can tell you in January - we're sailing NCL and one of our children will be 2, but I am totally comfortable with the 2-5 age group. My oldest child will be newly 5, so I've got one in the top of the range and one in the bottom. 5 year olds may be older, but they still enjoy all of the things that 2 year olds enjoy (the climbers, doing crafts, singing songs, listening to stories, etc). They can just stay in the lines better :-)

Go and take the kids and do Norwegian.

I have sailed to Alaska 4X and loved every minute of it. I went twice on NCL and had a ball.

I think the minisuites will suit you fine. Having a balcony to take in the scenery is key and the girls can watch cartoons while you and hubby take in the view. If the girls are potty trained on the cruise- there is a water slide and all sorts to keep them entertained. I have read great reviews on the Pearl. There are no set meal times if you do freestyle dining and you won't have to dress up for dinner if you don't want to. I think you'll have a blast.

NCL is great for the kids..i'm not talking about the kids' program (which i understand is great)...but the "freestyle" way of dining. on NCL there is no hurrying to get to your assigned seats for your assigned time for dining. the pearl has 2 main dining rooms, that act like your local restaurant....you go when you want, they ask "how many in your party" and seat you, yes, they have chairs for the kids . plus they have several other eating venues (included) and several surcharges for those romantic dining times (if you can?) i did alaska on NCL and loved it!!!

there are several thing you can do:

in juneau (http://www.traveljuneau.com/ ) there are many things to do. with the kids, you aren't going to want any flightseeing, which is what you have to do to do the dog sledding...they land on a glacier and you do the dog sledding there. but there is mendenahall glacier.

(http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/ )

from the docks all you need to do is get a shuttle (last year is was $6 1-way pp). around the glacier (see the web cam) you have area for you to walk and view, while the kids can do a little running around. also in juneau you have mt. roberts tram...whale watching is excellent, on orca enterprises.. http://www.orcaenterprises.com the boats are made with a large enclosed passenger area, big windows for the baby-sitter...but a nice outside viewing for the other. the kids wouldn't have to go out around the water at all.

skagway: http://www.skagway.com/ don't even think about the train (you will hear about it) very boring for kids, very little room to move around. but renting a car and driving the highway up to the yukon is great. there you can meet the dogs and do a dog sledding on wheels.

this way you can take you time and stop when you want. just have to be sure to rent a car early, they get booked up.

ketchikan: http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

a great area to just walk around, take a bus over to one of the totem poles. just walking you can see a lot and do a lot.

some will tell you to take another cruiseline, but the NCL pearl is a newer ship, gets great reviews. with the young kids, a normal cruise with early or late dining times...not so easy. with NCL's many restaurants and no set dining hours...works great. even has a 24 hr diner for snacks.

go to the NCL boards to learn more of the pearl: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

and to the alaska boards: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

i don't know the ages they allow for the kids program.

Thanks so much Cathi for those fantastic tips. You answered several questions I had from looking over the various excursions. :)

I see what some of you are saying about DH and I going solo, but it just isn't going to be that kind of year vacation-wise. Combo of step-FIL being way too high maintenance so MIL can't babysit that long, plus MIL has been diagnosed with a chronic leukemia. She is OK for now, it seems, but who knows how long that will last. She loves the girls so much and I love her, and I want to make THIS summer count and see some amazing things as a family, even if it has to be scaled down to preschool size. My favorite thing I have read here is on one poster's siggy, something about travel isn't the same after you have kids... but neither is staying home. So TRUE!

Hopefully we have many years left to make it back to Alaska and do some real adventuring when the girls are older. The best trip DH and I every have taken was a Backroads hiking trip in the Canadian Rockies - it was so spectacular in every way but the complete opposite of kid-friendly!

P.S. if any of you are ever looking for an active, land-based trip, we can't say enough great things about Backroads. I can't wait for the girls to turn 5 so we can do one of their family trips!

twins2go...

I have two boys (19 and 7). I have traveled with my kids since they were babies. The first two years were the most difficult. After that it was smooth sailing. Your girls will be almost three by the time you do Alaska. This is a much easier age.

I am 42 and this summer my two sons are going to Turkey and Greece on a 12 night cruise. This will be my younger son's 15th cruise.

I did a cruise in January on Oceania with my extended family. No kids came because it is a small ship and kids really wouldn't like it. I had a nice time but I am so used to being a "Mommy" that I really missed having my younger son around after about 2 days.

I guess what I am saying is that, yes, it is great to have a getaway with your husband from time to time but I wouldn't trade spending quality time with my kids on vacation.

You'll have a wonderful time in Alaska. Frankly, I wouldn't plan too many excursions. I think you will find that the towns have plenty of things to interest kids. The scenery is breath-taking from the ship. I think that is the best part of the cruise. I would try to find a place for the kids to run around and play once you get off the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the great input. We went ahead and booked on the Pearl for Aug. 3-10. I am thrilled because an AB suite (the one with the separate kids' bedroom) opened up with a connecting minisuite. Should be a great space for the six of us. I can't wait to see all the wonderful things I have been reading about on CC. It is going to be a long 8 month countdown! Fortunately, we have our Christmas trip to look forward to. ;)

Now I need to book a few excursions! DH and I really want to do the floatplane/bears in Ketchikan, so I think that will be when we leave the girls in the company of grandma. It's a pretty short excursion, so hopefully when we get back we can do something else in town with the girls.

I am looking at maybe Harv and Marv in Juneau, because we could book just for the six of us so the girls couldn't bug anyone else. DH and I would also love to hike the Laughton Glacier in Skagway, but we will probably end up skipping it because that would take all day - kind of a long time to leave the girls. I am on the lookout for a short/easy hike close to town that maybe we could bring the girls along.

Thanks again! You guys are great. :D

My husband and I cruised Alaska in August with our then 14 month old daughter on the Carnival Spirit. It was a wonderful trip and we all had a great time. For excursions we did the Helicopter to the glacier and dogsledding, chartered a floatplane to see the bears on POW island, the White Pass RR, and the Sea Otter Quest (boat ride to see whales, otters, eagles, bears etc). Emily did wonderfully! The crew loved having her aboard - one of the hostesses in the dining room actually cried the morning Emily left! Granted, she is an easygoing girl and has cruised before, but don't miss out on a wonderful trip!!!! :)

491982455_alaska436.jpg.e87631c5c8d30fe7f23a58550e3320db.jpg

Archived