more packing advice needed

tayl

I understand that Seabourn provides shampoos,conditioners,soaps,hair blowers and suntan lotion. Besides an insect repellant and meds for possible seasickness, is there anything else I need to pack. Seabourn appears to provide almost everything. :rolleyes:

Anything you may have forgotten, go to the Boutique, as the Manager has a "magic closet" and she stocks almost everything we can think of ~~ that we might need.

Or simply ask the Purser's ~~ they know where everything is! Ex.: the shoe cobbler; the balloon "blowing up machine" ~~lost & found ~~tux studs, misc. items, etc, etc.......

A luxurious community on the ocean! :p

Martita B.

Thanks to Martita's suggestions, I now take a door stop and some scotch tape. If you have several things that run on batteries, you should pack extras, the ship's boutique doesn't always have the right size or the right amounts.

I am sure you will be packing your sense of fun and adventure.

Thank you both for the advice. The balloon blowing up machine was not high on my list...but good to know just in case!;)

I'm getting quite excited about taking my first seabourn cruise in aprox: 3.5 weeks from now.

If there is anything else you feel I should know,please tell me.

I will donate to the crew welfare (is that what it's called) fund. What is an appropriate amount?

Okay, I forgot to ask about the doorstop and scotch tape? I seem to remember reading something about it when I was researching and reading the Seabourn board. I obviously didn't pay much attention at the time.

I've added the batteries to my shopping list.

I'll let Jane explain "the doorstop!" (a long story ~~;) ) But do swing by WalMart and pick up a package of two ~~give one to your neighbor!

You never know about "blowin' up balloons" ~~~perhaps have a 'lit cocktail party in your Suite ~~or send an "arrangement" of blown up balloons to a friend/shipmate ! Our balloon machine has a tendency to "roam a'round the vessel"......but the Purser's can always find it!! he he

You might also enjoy taking your sweet Stewardess a Christmas surprise! They love small gifts from the Guests ~~~:p

Yes, we leave "love gifts" in an envelope for the Crew Fund. Give the envelope to the Crew Purser.

Happy Sailing!

MB

While I never would have the nerve to give one to my neighbor, I do use it to prop the door open when I am expecting room service. That way, if it's bouncy, they don't have to wrestling with the door while balancing my tray and I don't have to get up to let them in.

The scotch tape is just occasionally for wrapping a gift or, cutting out the cruise schedule and dinner couture and pasting it on the mirror or vanity.

Another of Martita's suggestion which I always do, is to take the chair from under the vanity and place it by the window or phone or wherever, and replace it with one of the stools under the cocktail table. It slides underneath and saves room.

do they really have balloon blowing up machines? While we were on the Spirit someone was having a birthday, and their friends showed me what they had done to their room (with the help of the Stewardess) The room was completely filled with balloons! Dont know how they even got in the door! :eek:

Talking about birthdays....it will be my husbands birthday in the first couple of weeks onboard.......and I thought about ordering a special dinner...like Lobster something.......anyone have any other ideas and who do I make arrangements with?

So ,the balloon machine turned out to be a valuable piece of information!I'm going on the cruise for my birthday,however,it would look silly for me to throw my own surprise! Maybe... not...? I'm the new person on board the ship,so I tend to mind my p's and q's.

What type of gifts does one leave for the staff? I have no idea, so please suggest.

I'll write down the info about moving some of the furniture. I'm sure it will make more sense to me once I'm physically there.

Right now, I'm attempting to lose enough weight, so that when I gain it all back on the cruise,my clothes will fit instead of being to tight!

Granny Lorr,

Visit with the Maitre'D a couple of days before your husband's birthday ~~does he have a favorite cake? You might "host" a special dinner in the restaurant for a few friends and request the Assn. Maitre'D come and surprise him with a "flaming desert!" It's special and festive! Take a package of birthday napkins for your cocktails and wine. The purser will be happy to send your birthday invitations for the evening.

tayl,

Why not "host" a small birthday cocktail party in your suite before dinner some evening.....you'll meet lovely shipmates and will soon have many new friends aboard! Just mention the party to Hotel Manager a few days before ~~~Voila! Everyone loves a party! Especially one held on a Seabourn Yacht, on YOUR birthday!! (where's that balloon blowin' up machine ??? ha ha ha;))

Have fun! Cheers!

MB

tayl,

When is your cruise? Are you sailing in December?

As to Staff gifts, I always take small "packable" things ~~A long time ago I took International Phone Cards, but now most have their own phones ~~still a good idea, though! I would purchase these at WalMart ~~they loved the phone cards to call home.

Also, I usually give them money and treat them to lunch ashore. I tell them, "this is not a tip.....I would like to buy you and your room mate luncheon."

Sometimes, ashore, I'll run by a grocery store and buy candy for the Staff ~~especially when I'm in St. Bart's! The French sweets are delicious! And reasonable ~~~

Hope this gives you a few ideas ~~~:p

MB

I think it's easier to do little things for someof the staff after one's first time. I am sure it's hard to conceptualize the whole shebang. I tip my stweardess and enclose it in a nice note. If it's around the holidays, I might take a pair of seasonal earrings. Have to be careful, some crew might not celebrate Christmas. I picked up some lavender sachets on an excursion one day and brought one back for my stewardess. Otherwise, I know a contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund and a nice note will be more than enough.

janepondatprodigydotnet

I'm sailing Dec. 15th. I guess they won't be decorating for christmas until we leave on the 22nd. I'd love to see the ship with all the decorations up. I bet it's stunning!

Thank you both for the gift suggestions. I have a better idea now.

Well Jane I don't think we need an "intimate dinner for two"......we eat together EVERY night! :rolleyes: so dining with friends would be much more fun.

Martha, he doesn't really have a favourite cake, but I sure do....so might just have to order one that suits moi! :D Do you think they could make a carrot cake? Most birthday cakes I saw on the last cruise were chocolate....which would suit me better!

Do they really wait that late to decorate for Christmas? I'm going on Silversea on Dec. 1 and Regent on the 14th. I am hoping they will be at least partially decorated. I seem to remember from someone's trip around 2004 that they were decorated earlier in the month.

Granny Lorr,

If you'd like a carrot cake, just ask pastry Chef Josef ~~I'm sure he can bake one.....beautifully iced and decorated. The pastry Chef's work is truly amazing ~~~Galley Market luncheon is always such a treat. I think Chef Markus will be aboard the Pride. Visit with him as to a special birthday dinner. (I know he'll be with us on the March Cross)

I know the Pride use to be decorated for Christmas the 1st week in Dec. Now, I think they wait until 3rd week of Dec. Last Year I was aboard the Pride for Christmas and New Year's ~~it was fabulously "decked out!" Absolutely a sight to behold!

Martita B.

• 3 weeks later...
I never saw that happen. Champagne and sherbet coolers yes, suntan lotion no.

Really? On all of my cruises they have come around with a basket on sun cream, offered to apply it and once in the Caribbean they had a mister to cool you off if desired. :D

When it comes to tipping, I donate to the crew fund and I give my stewardess something, and that's it. I would not want to say how much, it's just a personal decision.

Also I have never figured why anyone would move the chair from the desk to over by the window....it's in the way. I have no problems moving back and forth with the chair right where it is.

Never have to use a door stop. Some people recommend taking a power strip since the cabin has only one handy outlet. You might want to bring one, but I don't; I only use one thing at a time (if I've got my curling iron plugged in, I unplug my laptop, which I'm not using at the same time!)

Basically, just bring things you would take anywhere else, minus the hairdryer and shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and lotion items. The Moulton Brown products magically appear over, and over, and over again! Seabourn also, thoughtfully, provides cotton puffs, kleenex, Q-tips, and emery boards in their (beautiful, huge, marbled) bathrooms.

Jane

Also I have never figured why anyone would move the chair from the desk to over by the window....it's in the way. I have no problems moving back and forth with the chair right where it is.

Jane- you get a cabin to yourself! When one sits using the chair with the back at the vanity, the other passenger has to crawl over the bed(s) to get to the bathroom from the living room area. It's a slight design flaw that is remedied by Martita's solution of swapping out one of the round stools. :D

Archived