Just back from NCL DAWN

Cruisin'BusyBee

I will try to give a brief report of my trip. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me via this post:

I left w/hubby 2 days early from midstate NY, flew USair to Miami - pretty uneventful. Stayed at Courtyard Marriott Beach Oceanfront at South Beach - right on ocean. Went from ocean to hotel pool/hot tub. Great weather. Did Art Deco sites a& some walking nearby. Bring your wallets if doing any Miami life, as very expensive: 2 mohitos (2) + 2 beers = $53! Hotel is nice, but not near much, so had to take cab (went to Coconut Grove: $30 taxi ride 1 way).

11/11 - left hotel via cab & got to pier at 11 am, waited in line for half hr., began process of paperwork, got cruise card. Had to wait in "holding area" until 12:30, then began boarding. Some people were quite rude by running in front of others getting their boarding pics - the photographers had to actually yell at people to wait their turn! To me, getting your 1st pic as you embark is kinda nice to have as a memento. We boarded on Deck 7, headed up to cabin on Deck 9, not ready, so hit the dreaded buffet. At every eating area, there is a sanitizer set up prior to entering. We explored the ship, took pics, got drink (Hint: use your coupon from your booklet for the 2 for 1 drinks this day only!). Cabin ready at 1:30 as was our luggage. Nice balcony, bath is nice set up, too w/glass door on shower and separate door for the toilet. There is a soap/shampoo dispenser along with hand lotion/shower hat/shoe mitt, coffee maker with Folgers Coffee in room. Bed very comfy, as pillows - no need for any "egg crate". Lots of storage areas and able to stuff luggage under bed. Got glasses of wine & brought to room to watch sailing from Miami - beautiful!

Dinner: Venetian - very nice. Did shows and Dazzles in evening.

Mon.: ordered room service this a.m. - limited menu - just lovely to sip coffee & look across the sea..........no problem w/chair @ pool or towel thefts. People ranged from 20's - 50's (only 60 kids on board!). Did various activities during day/shows at nite. Yes, some people did dress formal, some people just casual - whatever "floats your boat - ha ha".

Dinner: Aqua (yes, lobster and creme brule). Service here was the only place where I found inattentiveness. Had formal pics taken (just do it!).

Tues.: Samana - Tendered - well, this is a very very undeveloped island - so very glad we did the Cayo Levantado Beach Escape - it did rain that day on & off, but had nice beach experience, natives danced, games, hair braiding (Hint: get it done here, least expensive!), had coconut/pineapple drinks. The usual trinkets, not overpowered by natives though: actually able to "negotiate" a nice Larimar Necklace. Seal Show: pics w/seal are $5 & $8. Not much to do in area, so went back to ship for lunch at Blue Lagoon & hot tub (Hint: adult hot tub at far front of ship).

Dinner: Impressions - yum!

Wed.: Tortola - Docked - Did Best of Tortola - drive on left side of road, very interesting........nice tour & then Ship Sponsored Lunch on beach - beautiful w/white sand & turqoise water - not a pebble in sight!

(Hint: Ladies: don't spend too much on a pedicure prior to cruise, as sand will just wear it away...................). Did our shopping here, there is a nice spice shop where we picked up some serious items for cooking!

Shows, dancing, karoke at nite.

Dinner: Salsas - really good!

Thurs.: St. Tom - Docked - we had breakfast at Venetian (eggs benedict) and left for St. John Beach Escape (Hint: this does not leave much time for shopping in St. Tom, but to us, it was well worth it as being in St. Tom many other times). Beach on Trunk Bay - listed as one of the best beaches in the world. Beautiful day. Had alittle time to shop in St. John, then took bus to ferry to bus to St. Tom & did alittle shopping here, too. Hint: if you see something you like, just buy it, as there are so many shops you will forget which one had what!

Dinner: back at Venetian. At nite: Newly Wed Game, movie: License to Wed, Nite Clubbing.

Fri.: Thank God for a "quiet day" at Sea - soaked up sun, while hubby did jogging (Hint: track is only 1/2 size of normal tracks on ships, so as I sat by pool, I could see him going around & around & around...........). Had my massage today - be well warned: did Swedish at $119 but w/tax & tip it was $140 (know that all drinks also include tax & tip!). The spa pool was empty: charge of $10 if you have a service at spa or $20 per day or $75 per week.

Dinner: back to Salsa's - must try their coconut sherbert............

Sat.: Tender - I did laundry in early a.m while hubby got tender tickets. There is a laundramat w/3 washers & dryers on Deck 9 & 5 (everyone was scurrying around, so good time to get stuff done prior to packing, boo hoo). Great Stirrup Cay was rocky (Hint: wear water socks!), we were here yrs. ago w/NCL Norway & it has built up considerably, as it appears to be getting in more construction. I think that RCL owns the other half of the island, as their was a large RCL ship also in the sea tendering passengers off. Beach is nice & there are walking areas - we thought we were all alone on a walk, when we saw a beach rover coming up - yes, they had beer to sell!!! BBQ was just so so, but nice to eat on the beach.

Dinner: back to Impressions - the last nite for dinner & service seemed very rushed. People were tired, suitcases were all over the place. We did the express & so glad we did (though next cruise, we will try to bring less!). Went to ending show & to cabin to finish packing...........

Sun.: got up for breakfast in Venetian, picked up suitcases from room, got in express line, off ship by 9 a.m. (you do not have to leave this early if you opt to get the cruise tickets for your suitcases). We got a cab right after disembarking and to Miami Airport where it was totally quiet! Hint: weight your bags prior to getting in line - that way, if you are over weight w/cases, you can adjust them without holding up line! USair from Miami to Phil to Albany - only 4 minutes late. Only bad thing was 1 suitcase got ripped. Our daughter's were on the next plane (only had to wait 15 min.) but hers was also ripped. No rep. there at baggage claim or ticket booth. Called yesterday, but need to bring in suitcases - just gonna forget about it, maybe it can be a Christmas Present this yr. ha ha!

Well that is enough for now, I really really gotta unpack & get some things done. If anyone needs any questions answered, I will check back & do my best to help you out with any of your concerns. Wow, it is tough being home today - sleet & freezing rain here...........I miss the sea! :)

C/BB

Thanks for your review. I've been anxiously awaiting a review of "my" itinerary.

One question - I don't like the sound of that "holding area" (we are traveling with little kids). In your opinion, which would be more likely to have a shorter wait - doing what you did and having to wait in the "holding area" or getting to the pier later and being able to get right on the ship (knowing that the check in line would likely be longer this way)?

Thank you so much for the report! We leave on November 30th for Miami and we sail on the Dawn on the 2nd. My husband is very sceptical about Samana from all we have read. We are also doing the Cayo Levantado Beach Escape. Are there any water activities that you can do or is it just straight laying in the sun or swimming?? Did you take cash as I had read that credit cards aren't very accepted.

Did you make your dinner reservations when you got on the ship? Do you know anything about any of the "pay" restaurants? We love steak so were thinking about trying the steakhouse restaurant.

Last question ;-). At Great Stirrup Cay are there any activities to do?

It sounds like this cruise is going to be alot of beaches and laying in the sun!! We are doing the Baths at Tortola and a tour of St Thomas with shopping and beaches.

10 days to departure!!!

Thanks.

Sandy

thanks for the great review... we will be on the Dawn this Sunday and you got me all pumped up to go! Way to go writing a upbeat, positive, honest review!

do you know if folks who went to the Baths at Tortola, were happy with that choice?

Can I just ask - what is special about the spa pool that they charge $74 per week? We are on this itinerary on Dec 9th,,,,,and have also planned the beach break for Samana. Glad to know it was a good choice. Thanks for the great review. This is our first NCL cruise, we've always cruised Celebrity or Princess.

Thanks for the review!

We are also staying at the Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront pre-cruise. Do you remember how much the cab ride was from the hotel to the pier?

Also, were there cabs readily available in St. Thomas when you got off the boat?

Thanks! :)

Sorry I have not been able to respond - away for "turkey day" w/NO computer access................

1. There is not much time for anyone doing the St. John Beach Excursion, so if anyone has not done the "shopping thing" at St. Tom, you may want to do it. If you are not at all interested in shopping, then that is the tour for you - you do have a little time to shop when you get back but not much! We had a short stop to shop on St. John prior to taking ferry back to St. Tom & did a little shopping "damage"!

2. I have so much stuff and not able to do the download thing for all the dailies, but do feel free to ask me anything pertaining to any activities or such.

3. We did Express Disembark - we did get up early (6:30 am!) and had a nice breakfast in the Venetian prior to getting in line w/all our suitcases. We were off the ship at 8:30 a.m. and at the airport by 9:30 a.m. - cost $30 w/tip - we had another couple, so only cost us $15 - see if you can "team up" w/someone to help differ the cost.

4. Yes, there are cabs all over and no problem if you get off ship at St. Tom and hale (hail?) a cab - just be sure to negoiate price and get definate time to return to ship - it does NOT wait if you are late!

Hope that helps all - I will be out of town for a couple days, but if anyone has anyother questions, just post them and I will certainly try to help out w/any answers!

..............................booked a cruise for March 16th on RCL - .......just too good a deal to pass up........................:)

C/BB

Mollyanne - We just came back on the Dawn yesterday. We self- disembarked and we were off the ship at 7:30 am.

This is great news!! Our flights have changed soooooo many times that we are now leaving MIA at 11:09! We will NEVER choose Delta again!

Thanks for the detailed review -- my friend and I are on the Dawn this coming Sunday (12/2 -- yeah!) and it is her first cruise and my first on NCL so it was great to get some inside scoop (I sent along a copy of your post for her to read too).

We are doing different shore excursions than the ones you listed -- did you talk to anyone who did the Mangrove (Kayak) Tour in Samana? Or the Baths on Virgin Gorda?

Thanks again for all the 411.

Thanks for the detailed review -- my friend and I are on the Dawn this coming Sunday (12/2 -- yeah!) and it is her first cruise and my first on NCL so it was great to get some inside scoop (I sent along a copy of your post for her to read too).

We are doing different shore excursions than the ones you listed -- did you talk to anyone who did the Mangrove (Kayak) Tour in Samana? Or the Baths on Virgin Gorda?

Thanks again for all the 411.

We did the Baths in Virgin Gorda for the 2nd time. Fantastic!! We chose the Dawn specifically for that reason.

Archived