Prickly Pear Island - Highly Recommended

xtrmegee

I am hesitant to post this as I don't want this little gem of an island to be too exposed and overbooked! This was the best relaxing day on a tiny island in Antigua. It had a very shallow beach with ok snorkeling. The food was awesome, the day was just perfect. They provide umbrellas & lounge chairs, buffet lunch, all you can drink, and snorkel equipment. This is a beautiful place to relax.

I highly recommend this place. Everybody that we met on this island was staying on Antigua for weeks, not on cruises. They said we picked the right thing to do if we were here only for 1 day.

We paid $85 per person, its a bit expensive but we thought it was worth it.

http://www.pricklypearisland.com/

I am hesitant to post this as I don't want this little gem of an island to be too exposed and overbooked! This was the best relaxing day on a tiny island in Antigua. It had a very shallow beach with ok snorkeling. The food was awesome, the day was just perfect. They provide umbrellas & lounge chairs, buffet lunch, all you can drink, and snorkel equipment. This is a beautiful place to relax.

I highly recommend this place. Everybody that we met on this island was staying on Antigua for weeks, not on cruises. They said we picked the right thing to do if we were here only for 1 day.

We paid $85 per person, its a bit expensive but we thought it was worth it.

http://www.pricklypearisland.com/

Did they provide transportation? Was this from the pier? How did you find out about this place it looks beautiful. How was the food? Sorry for so many questions.Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

grassyhill.jpg

I have been looking into this....the reviews are great! This is being offered through our ship (Explorer of the Seas RCCL) for $98 pp. I inquired about a group and was told the minimum was 10 people and the cost was $80 pp. I wrote back asking if that included transportation from the ship...here was the reply:

Just to let you know that RCL so sell our tour on board so on this day we will have other from the ship as well is this ok with you? The US$80 does not include taxi to our pick up point but it includes that if you book this way that you will have lobster as well as the other food for lunch. With the ship booking there is no lobster. Please let me know what you would like to do.

Terrence

grassyhill.jpg

I have been looking into this....the reviews are great! This is being offered through our ship (Explorer of the Seas RCCL) for $98 pp. I inquired about a group and was told the minimum was 10 people and the cost was $80 pp. I wrote back asking if that included transportation from the ship...here was the reply:

Just to let you know that RCL so sell our tour on board so on this day we will have other from the ship as well is this ok with you? The US$80 does not include taxi to our pick up point but it includes that if you book this way that you will have lobster as well as the other food for lunch. With the ship booking there is no lobster. Please let me know what you would like to do.

Terrence

Can you tell me where you were able to get this info? Did they say where their pick up location was, any info would be appreciated.

Laura

• 4 weeks later...

We were at Prickly Pear Island last November and it was the best day of our cruise. Terrence and his family are the warmest friendliest people ever. We highly recommend this excursion. We are taking the same cruise in November and I am sad to say they took off Antigua which has made us sad we will not be able to visit Terrence and his family again this year. They picked us up right on the pier and dropped us off there. I do have to warn you the rum punch sneaks up on you.:p

I've been looking into this also but would love to book directly with Terrance and not through the cruise line. Besides - you get lobster then :D Also, I would like to confirm that you are picked up right at the cruise ship dock. Can anyone confirm?

grassyhill.jpg

Terrence

Suznf,

How long did it take Terrence to get back to you with a reply? I have e-mailed him four times and not heard from him about availibilty for our group of 17.

We just returned from a cruise on the Explorer of the Seas (12/23/07-1/4/08) and while visiting Antigua, we did an excursion with Creole Cruises.

IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're looking for a private, unique, specialized excursion, then this is the one! I read about Creole Cruises on these boards and that's what convinced me to book a day with this company.

We were met right off the ship by Captain Glen and his assistant, Omari. After everyone showed up (we were a party of 15 and that's the maximum number they allow). From there, we got on their boat and headed out for one of the best days we've had while visiting an island. We did some sightseeing (offshore), and then arrived at our destination; Bird Island. Omari is dropped off with all the supplies for the beach BBQ which consists of all you can eat LOBSTER, CHICKEN, PASTA AND POTATO SALADS and plenty of wine, beer and rum punch. After he's set (Omari), Captain Glen took us all for a snorkel outing for about 45 minutes to an hour. The water was clear, beautiful and sea life was plentiful. After the snorkeling, we head back to where Omari is on the island and the BBQ is in full swing!!!

We all got off the boat, got our drinks, did some roaming around this beautiful, private island and simply waiting for the food to be ready. There are a couple of picnic tables under the trees and the waves wash up directly to your feet.....which is PERFECTION.

The lobster was amazing! All the food was great. The drinks were perfect and plentiful. I can't think of anything better than having a beach BBQ of lobster on a private island in the Caribbean. It was just awesome and I can't say enough about it. Truly one of the best days of our cruise.

What I can say is....if you decide to book this trip (which is run privately, not through any cruise line), you will in no way be disappointed. I can't wait to go back to Antigua and do it again!!!!!

CREOLE CRUISES ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this helps.................

Cruisinkat (Kathy)

KASUALKATHY.....It's an all day excursion. The pick up point is a 5 minute walk down the pier and to the right (they will give you specifics as to where they pick up). We left at around 9:00 a.m. and were back by 3:30/4:00. It's a great day. They do provide snorkeling equipment. I can't remember if they have lifevests for snorkeling. We bring our own equipment. You can get a lot of information on their website and the price varies depending on how you book it. The offer a discount if booked online. Their website is: WWW dot creolecruisesantigua dot com. (The don't like people posting links so I spelled it out for you:D :D ).

Hope this helps!!

Cruisinkat (Kathy)

Is creole cruises and Laurence's famiy both at prickly pear island? Which one has not returned your emails? I'm confused. I don't want to pay more for less through the cruiseline but If RC sell all available excursions will they cancel the privately booked or viceversa? The email from Laurence was hard to understand. How can they keep the cruise ship people away from the lobster? Are there separate areas on the island for different groups? Anyone who booked with Laurence did you walk to the pick up place or did you take a cab? If the cab was $10 or more each way it would make sence to book through the cruiseline. If it is just a 5in walk like with the creole co. then we wouldn't need a cab. Again please help this confused soul and tell me if there are two different co. Thanks!

Is creole cruises and Laurence's famiy both at prickly pear island? Which one has not returned your emails? I'm confused. I don't want to pay more for less through the cruiseline but If RC sell all available excursions will they cancel the privately booked or viceversa? The email from Laurence was hard to understand. How can they keep the cruise ship people away from the lobster? Are there separate areas on the island for different groups? Anyone who booked with Laurence did you walk to the pick up place or did you take a cab? If the cab was $10 or more each way it would make sence to book through the cruiseline. If it is just a 5in walk like with the creole co. then we wouldn't need a cab. Again please help this confused soul and tell me if there are two different co. Thanks!

I have emailed miguels_ha@hotmail.com, which is the address on the website, TWICE and they have not responded. We made reservations with Pirates of Antigua as a backup - but this was our first choice, as it is $10 cheaper per person for a longer excursion. If anyone has another wy to contact them, I would appreciate it, but I am hesitant now since they haven't responded (and I've been checking my SPAM folder just in case)

Maybe they are only booking through the cruiseline now? It is $13 more throgh RC but it includes transport. I don't know why it then does not include the lobster, unless the cruiseline takes a big chunk of their profit. Does anyone know if this is available through cruiselines other then RC? I still don't understand about the creole post here. Do they take you to Prickly Pear Island for your BBQ?

Maybe they are only booking through the cruiseline now? It is $13 more throgh RC but it includes transport. I don't know why it then does not include the lobster, unless the cruiseline takes a big chunk of their profit. Does anyone know if this is available through cruiselines other then RC? I still don't understand about the creole post here. Do they take you to Prickly Pear Island for your BBQ?

It's not available for our upcoming NCL cruise on 2/29.

I'm take the excursion offered thru carnival destiny to prickly pear island they do not say if any food or drinks are offered thru the excursion but I wanted to know if there is a place on the island to get food and drinks at?

Thanks

Archived