Cruise Rules for Kids - Good bad and ugly

Canuk Cruisers

whew ... i'm a newbie to this site and some of these threads get a little overwhelming!

is this kind of thread common on here? i mean, with so much controversy and hostility abound?

we're all cruise lovers ... seems we would be a little more laid back :)

whew ... i'm a newbie to this site and some of these threads get a little overwhelming!

is this kind of thread common on here? i mean, with so much controversy and hostility abound?

we're all cruise lovers ... seems we would be a little more laid back :)

You make a good point. However there are those that feel their way is the only way. So take what you read with a grain of salt and have a good time cruising!

Good God.

I want to avoid the ships you take.

The only thing I have ever seen was the elevator game and that was only once.

Maybe I hang out in the wrong places.

Be careful.....everything stated and more, i have seen on ships.

I think most of the problem is during holidays and summer.

I have also been, chairs & plates thrown overboard, cabins torn apart, cloth napkins being lit on fire & throw overboard, just to mention a few.

This goes beyond an inconvenience to the other guests, now we are talking about the safety of others.........Where are the parents?

With that said, kids should be able to have fun on the ship but not go crazy because their parents think they are fast asleep in the cabin next door.

Don't forget pouring soda from many levels up onto unsuspecting victims in the Atrium Lobby.

The bottom line is that both our boys behave on a cruise the same way they behave at home.

Not a problem....

They better hope that they are on a low level if they did that to me. it could be a long way down for them

You go around looking for these things?

I read something like this after I look at the news where there's a car jacking with a 3 year old in the back seat, or a 13 year old dead caught in cross fire, and just roll my eyes.

Let's all post our activities from when we were 8 to 13 and see who was the perfect angel. :rolleyes:

I only sail on the good Carnival ships where none of this stuff ever happends. LOL

I'm the Mom of three boys, and let's just say that I thought there was nothing my kids could do that I hadn't done...I was sooooo sure I could figure it all out before they ever did anything "wrong". Oh well, without telling many stories and many years later, lets just say I was totally wrong, they can ALWAYS come up with something - especially when bored. Now, we have only one teen left at home!!!

We have traveled with and without our teens. With and without their teen friends. When we don't take teens with us, we have had to deal with leaving them home or with friends/family and making sure it wasn't a party night every night at our house. Taking teens with you means having them meet and hang out with other teens that we didn't know at all.

I have learned to never say never as a parent. For any of you out there who think your kids are perfect, wait till their adults and they tell you all the stuff you didn't know about!!

It's all part of being a parent. Sometimes it goes just how you thought it would and sometimes, well, the best laid plans yada yada yada.

It has been my experience that you can help keep teens out of trouble when cruising. Even when we don't have my kid with us, I still tend to "find" those teen groups on the ship!

On our last cruise, the kids looked sooooo bored every time I saw them. Then I saw them doing something a little naughty one day! Instead of just complaining about it, I decided it was probably boredom and decided to ask them to help me kick some butt in the color war thingy!! It was a hoot. We entered the boys in the hairy chest contest (and since there wasn't a hair on any of their chests) We glued feathers from a feather boa to their chest and covered it up with a T shirt, they danced and danced when it was their turn to show their chests, and took off their T shirts yielding their crazy feather chests!! Of course we won!!!! Another day they all showed up to wrestle the gator! The were so animated and one of them was doing this crocodile hunter imitation, so funny. One of the girls won the Gloria Gaynor "I will survive" lip sync contest. When the color tally was given each night in the dining room I could hear them hooting and hollering! of course I was too, did I mention I'm pretty competitive???

Every time I saw these teens they were asking me what we were going to do next. Would I be there to cheer them on etc. It was great They didn't have time for anything naughty, they were on a mission to win color wars!

My point is, instead of getting on the kids for being naughty, engage them! Teenagers are wonderful - most of the time :rolleyes:

Jan

One last thing that I found worked really well when traveling with our kids is the use of walkie talkies.

The rule is, if I call you and you don't answer, ummmmm your in big trouble! I check in all the time....my one son says he hates it when I just start talking "HHHHeeeelllloooooo, it's your Mommmmmmyyyyy" They pick up right away just to shut you up!

Tell me where you are and don't leave there without talking with me and getting approval to go to another location. If I show up and you aren't there, basically your screwed!

No going in another kids cabin - unless its a special circumstance and I pre- approved it. Don't even ask, the answer is NO.

We look through the capers, we bring different colored markers and mark who's doing what on it. If you change your mind, call me and let me know otherwise I will assume your there, and if I show up and your not there, basically, screwed again!

Certain meeting times, like lunch on the Lido on sea days. Meet at a certain time, no excuses just be there. Bring a friend....I don't mind but be there.

Dinner is together time unless prearranged. Be there, look nice, make intelligent conversation and then you may leave and meet your friends. Most of the time after a certain hour they are in the cabin watching a movie and ordering room service. Teens LOVE room service. It is a privilege to use, (and I check to see what they ordered and that they tipped appropriately)

Those a just a few things that make teens on cruises tolerable..

Have my kids "messed" up???? You betcha! But I can do my best to help keep them from getting into trouble. Our motto is keep em' busy and keep track of them!!

jan

I always book my cruises when most kids are suppose to be in school. This thread is a battle that neither side seems to win. Me, being single, sees the point that some kids lack the respect for other guests. They do flood the adult jacuzzi, and they do run around loud (at times) causing other guests to question "who is in charge of these kids" Now here is the problem. In the rare case of there being a problem... how many of you parents can honestly say, that if an adult approached you, stating.. "Your child is running circles around my beach chair screaming. Would you mind taking care of it. Thank you"........ now how many can say that you would not give a hostle response?? (cause everyone's kid is perfect) Where is the middle ground? And what would be the answer to hostile parents??

I will approach the kids first (because, usually, it's always the kids that are "on their own", who are having a problem with behavior!)

I will ask them to please "keep the noise down" or "don't run" or please "do not knock on the doors"; or on and on!!!!!!!

If I do not get the appropriate response....I will ask to speak with their parenst........And, I will ask the parents to please supervise their children.

If I still do not get the "issue" resolved I will seek help from the cruiseline....i.e. Purser's desk; Matre D'; pool attendant; security personal!

I'm a "big kid" and I love to see kids having fun; laughing/running/jumping, etc.., in the appropriate venue......I've even been known to join in with them.......:)

Archived