What to do in Grand Cayman??

Bonnie J.

We are looking for something to do there that we haven't done before. We are not shoppers and don't care about 7 Mile Beach. We are snorklers. We have swum with sting rays (twice), snorkled at Eden Rock (twice), been to Hell and the turtle farm. Any suggestions for something new? Is there a local bus we can take to anywhere? Thanks for your answers!

You could try the Atlantis submarine for something different to do...I've done it and loved it (I don't swim well and snorkle even worse)...and you do get a chance to go down around 100' below the surface...just an idea

There is (or was) a Brewery there that you could tour. The last time we were there (about 2-3 years ago), a great part of the island had been damaged by a hurricane the year before and alot of destroyed. They were having alot of trouble getting supplies in to fix everything.... If you have time (not sure how long you're there) - there are other Cayman Islands that are fairly close that you could try to get a tour over there to snorkle.... and there are waverunner snorkeling tours that would be fun... I love Grand Cayman....:D

Head south to Sunset House

you can snorkel - different fish than Eden.....

have lunch and libation at My Bar

and either watch or if you are brave (dumb) play dominos with the locals at the bar...... I've heard they sometimes play for money :rolleyes:

fun to watch tho!

sunsethouse.com

no affiliation, just been going there since 85

a great place to watch for the Green Flash if there @ sunset

heeeeeyyyyyyy....is that where they got the name?

Cala's right There will be at least 6 ships in port.On our second visit I took my Grand daughter in her pram for a walk down Mainstreet Her legs started burning.It cost me $18.00 for a plain white T Shirt to cover them . Never again I hope

I was going to say - I've been there, done that at Grand Caymen, and it's the port I am most likely to stay on the ship for when going there. It's expensive, and if you are not a beach person, there is not much to do. I recommend that everyone "Go to Hell" once, and once you've seen that, that's pretty much it.

They have had a Margaritaville for a little over a year now that has a pool and a slide. But with Grand Cayman being so expensive, it would probably be cheaper to drink on the ship and enjoy their pool while the crowds are gone.

We are looking for something to do there that we haven't done before. We are not shoppers and don't care about 7 Mile Beach. We are snorklers. We have swum with sting rays (twice), snorkled at Eden Rock (twice), been to Hell and the turtle farm. Any suggestions for something new? Is there a local bus we can take to anywhere? Thanks for your answers!

How about a private tour of the Blue Iguana Recovery Program? They will arrange it for you but advised that a cab each way is about $75.00.

They have had a Margaritaville for a little over a year now that has a pool and a slide. But with Grand Cayman being so expensive, it would probably be cheaper to drink on the ship and enjoy their pool while the crowds are gone.

Thats for sure!! We stopped in for a margarita. I went to the bar and ordered two and they said $22. I was shocked..LOL Went back and drank on the ship:p

• 4 weeks later...

Hell is a "town' or place in Grand Cayman. It looks like black stalagmights coming up from the ground. There is a shop where you can buy t-shirts - "I've been to Hell and back", etc. There is also a post office where I sent ourselfs postcards with the Hell postmark on them. That's all there really is there.

You do need to swim with the rays!!! You stand in waist deep water and the rays come so you can feed them. They're VERY tame, the dive master will hold one above your head for pictures. You don't swim here, you just stand in the water. The ship will have a tour going here but I'd recomend Captain Marvin's tour.You can pay when you get there. You can search him here on cruise critic. If your husband doesn't want to get in the water, he can watch from the boat.This is a GREAT family tour!!

There is also a turtle farm there where turtles are grown commercially and for release. They have a tank, with the smaller ones (10-12"), where you can remove them to take pictures. You'll see tiny newborns to GIANT, HUGE ones. They also sell tortise shell jewlery which is illeagal in the US. Shared a turtle buger in town with friends but it is not worth buying just to taste one!

In all honesty, GC is my favorite place to stay on the ship.

I find that really funny, 'cause Cayman is my favourite place to get off the ship. :) It's safe and clean, with gorgeous weather, wonderful beaches and friendly, polite people. You won't get mobbed by beach vendors and or pestered by shady characters trying to sell you items of questionable legality. You can travel around the island on your own and not feel scared or worried about it. It's probably my favourite island...and my DH and I love it so much that we even convinced his dad to buy a vacation home there so that we can visit more often. :D

Sure, the tenders are a huge pain, and I really wish they'd just give in and build a better pier where the ships could dock. And yes, food and drinks are more expensive...but at least I know they're not going to make me sick. I'd much rather pay $11 for a drink that's safe, than $2 for one that's going to make me have to spend the next two days in the bathroom.

Just my two cents' worth...

I agree with EVERYONE'S feelings about Grand Cayman. It IS one of my favorite ports, but there is not alot to do. The natives are GREAT. The beaches are nice. The shopping is good, but there is not alot to attract repeat cruisers to get of the ship. There are no adventure excursions or historic ruins, etc. Hell is really cool...once. It's neat to send a postcard to your enemies from there saying: "wish you were here". The stingrays are GREAT!!! We've done it a couple of times and since we're travelling with a large group of new cruisers, we may even do it again. I gotta say, I really like Carla's idea of staying on the ship, though. I usually do that in Nassau and Ocho Rios because I dislike those ports. It's sure great having your pick of deck chairs!

Archived