What is there to do in Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau?

Royal Mom

Depends really on your budget.

In Skagway do the train ride. You can buy tickets on the ship and they also sell them on the pier. The train pulls up right next to the ships. Very easy. It is a nice train ride unless you have a terrible fear of heights.

In Ketchikan I really enjoyed shopping and bought cans of sockeye salmon and reindeer jerky. I didn't do an excursion but found it a charming little town.

In Juneau you can take the sky cable to the top of a mountain and get a nice view of the town. Then there is a neat restaurant/bar that overlooks the harbor. They have a huge variety of beers and you can watch the little planes land and take off from the water.

Skagway offers the White Pass Railroad that goes into Canada and back. The pioneer cemetery is interesting with Soapy Smith and other gold rush era characters.

Juneau has the Mendenhall Glacier just out of town and the iceberg lake below it (with nice waterfall), the tram up the mountain, some interesting shops and restaurants with Alaskan Amber.

Ketchican has zip lines in the big trees (teens loved this), fishing, whale watching, and Saxman village with its totems. There are some great places to have king crab in town.

'Miner

On our Summit Alaska cruise in Aug. '03 we booked a combination tour of Mendenhall glacier and whale watch. In Skagway we did the White Pass Railway--fabulous, but not for acrophobics. These were through X. After the train trip, we did some walking through the town and visited the Red Onion Saloon, a famous brothel.

In Ketchikan DH stayed on the ship with sore feet from the walking tour we did in Sitka the day before. I went with our friends to Creek Walk where we had lunch, shopped and toured this funky village of boardwalks. The welcome sign says, "Creek Walk--where men and fish come to spawn". It refers to the salmon run (which was in full swing right next to the walk up to the totem museum and fishery) and another famous brothel. :eek: Oh, those randy goldrush guys!! LOL ;D This was our own walking tour.

The salmon run was just like in the TV shows. Fish were desperately jumping up the waterfall. After each stage was a resting pool and then they started on the next stage. The totem museum was pricey and we didn't have time to go in, but there were interesting outdoor displays. It was nice to go be able to go into the lobby and use the restroom.

We really enjoyed this Alaska cruise on Summit--our first X cruise. The land tour preceding the cruise was great, too. :D

If you don't do the train in Skagway, consider renting a car. We rented from Avis last year and drove the beautiful road thru the mountains to BC and then to Caracross, Yukon. It was a pretty easy drive on a road that is good as mountain roads go [well graded, no scary drop offs, no narrow lanes]. The next day on the ship I was asked if I had been on the "Yukon Jeep Adventure" by someone who had been [at $139pp]. We were running just ahead of them and seemed to always be at the overlooks etc as they pulled in; the car ran us about $80 for all four of us [a LOT cheaper than 4 x $139 = $556!].

In Juneau we did the Chopper to the Glacier,fantastic.Ketchikan we did the Jeep ride and canoeing thru X.Loved it.Our tablemates did different things like Salmon bakes and Whale watching and loved it.So much to do so many good choices that we have to return and go different things.Have a great time....................Frank:)

I read the post to my husband and his reply was, "Are you kidding?" We did a B2B in Alaska this past June and the previous posts say it all. I hadn't been up in a private plane for over 35 years but off the ship and looking around I realised I had to be up in the air to truly experience Alaska. Besides the Skagway train trip I was on a hellicopter, small plane, float plane and tram, along with exploring the ports. Alaska is a cruise to get off the ship and tour.

Jan

If you don't take the train like most do or rent the car for the beautiful drive to Emerald Lake and the Carcross Desert I would suggest walking up main street to the Red Onion Saloon. Although it doesget busy with tourists this is the local hangout as well. Trappers, mushers you name it. Good food, drink and hospitality abounds there. No I don't work for them. Actually I am a Canadian who was stationed in Whitehorse when I was in the army and made the trip to Skagway (100 mi) often. One caution. Skagway is small. If you want a rental car book it now. There can be as many as 5 cruise ships in port at a time and averaging 2000 people each that would increase the population of Skagway 10 fold. Enjoy the Alaska cruise. There is only one word that describes the north...Magical

Oh I want to gp back,soooooooooooooooooo much.My father spent 2 months there and still needs to see more.I missed a Salmon bake on a mountain last cruise that will be a must when I return.It was so beautiful looking out the balcony in the morning enjoying coffee and fresh crossiants looking at the scenery.Really got use of the balcony that trip.................Frank:)

How can I wait till May!! Are there local car hiring places in Skagway as I'm sure my DH will be busting to have a drive himself by then?
In 2006 we rented from Avis; maybe two blocks from the end of the pier. Might be others also, just don't know. We were on a repro cruise coming in from Mexico, and were actually there the day Avis opened for the season. The car we got was everything we wanted.

Thom

How can I wait till May!! Are there local car hiring places in Skagway as I'm sure my DH will be busting to have a drive himself by then?

Besides Avis, there is also Sourdough Rentals in Skagway. Do a search here on the board (Ports of Call: Alaska) about Sourdough. Lots of "iffy" reports about the cars and a few positive reports scattered in as well. Avis is generally only open from mid-May to mid-Sept, so if you're on a very early May cruise you may not have many other options:rolleyes:

In 2006 we rented from Avis; maybe two blocks from the end of the pier. Might be others also, just don't know. We were on a repro cruise coming in from Mexico, and were actually there the day Avis opened for the season. The car we got was everything we wanted.

Thom

We were on the Mercury from Mexico in 2006.Fantastic weather the entire trip.......................................Frank:)

If you don't do the train in Skagway, consider renting a car. We rented from Avis last year and drove the beautiful road thru the mountains to BC and then to Caracross, Yukon. It was a pretty easy drive on a road that is good as mountain roads go [well graded, no scary drop offs, no narrow lanes]. The next day on the ship I was asked if I had been on the "Yukon Jeep Adventure" by someone who had been [at $139pp]. We were running just ahead of them and seemed to always be at the overlooks etc as they pulled in; the car ran us about $80 for all four of us [a LOT cheaper than 4 x $139 = $556!].

We did a variation of this: we walked off the ship and booked a tour that followed this route but it was on a small bus--very persona tour lots of fun, covered more sites than the train and it was cost effective! In Alaska you need to choose your excursions (and we usually book our own, right off the ship) if you have a budget--helicopter (and such) tours add up quickly with a family group!

I never did the train in Skagway, but I loved the excursions I did there on both of my Alaska cruises. One year, I did the "Eagle Preserve Float" and the next year I did the wildlife center (both through Celebrity) out of Haines. Those would be my #1 and #2 excursions ever, even better than the helicopter glacier landing and the whale watch. I may like the train, but I have a hard time believing that I'd like it MORE than those other two.

The glacier float plane in Juneau.....WOW!!! kinda scary being stuffed into a 5 person plane and hitting air pockets while flying over the glaciers.......I'd do it again in a second. It was raining that day so I walked around town looking for local artists. Found an art co-op and bought some beautiful water colors and had them shipped back. I then had some time so I went up the Mt. Roberts tram. $$$$ but overall worth the trip( http://www.goldbelt.com/subsidiaries/MRT.html). It was at the bar on top that I had an Alaskan with an Alaskan in Alaska:) . They were also having an all you can eat dungeoness crab fest and it looked pretty good. There is a nature trail around the summit with a choice of a short or long version. Although as I was looking for bears, a porcupine jumped out of the tall grass and I almost peed my pants. Tere is also a rescued Bald Eagle at the top that they take care of.

Skagway: did the White pass. I found it not only very interesting and scenic, but relaxing. Doesn't matter which side you sit on because you switch on the way back. The seats actually flip over. The town is okay for a tourist trap. However there is a tiny restaurant right by the docks that has the best seafood.(http://www.whitepassrailroad.com/multimedia/webcam.html)

Ketchikan: Went snorkelling in September...LOVED IT!!!! They put you in wet suits and there is so much to see and the staff is really friendly. I thought this was also the BEST place to shop!! There are many local artist co-ops some big souvenir shops, restaurants and pubs. I found everything I was looking for regarding souvenirs right in town, and the prices seemed better than those in Juneau, and Skagway.(http://www.snorkelalaska.com/)

We are planning another Alaska cruise for 2009.....We loved it SO MUCH that our friends and neighbors want to come with next time.

Dave.:eek:

We're planning a June cruise for 12 nights in Alaska. What are the hot things to do in Skagway, Ketchikan, Anchorage an Juneau? What doesn't seem so good?

Thanks

The standouts for me were the White Pass railroad (skagway?), a tour with a Ranger also in Skagway (yes, we did both).

Be sure to pay the $1 for the Museum tour at the beginning of the old building section in Ketchican. Very unusual tour (e.g. they don't let anything go to waste - when they realized silk condoms weren't effective, they made flowers for the curtains in the bathroom out of them)

You should probably pass on the Logging competition (Ketchican). While the talent can't be denied, it is not a true competition, and there are very few loggers in the show.

We didn't do any of the more exciting excursions. But we had a great time. Hope you have time for a Landotour - that's the best!

nlvc

Juneau: we rented a van for $65 from Rent-A-Wreck in advance and were met at the pier. We drove to Mendenhall Glacier Park where we took in the glacier and two self-guided trails: Photo Point and Nugget Falls (free). Toured the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery ($12 for our group of 6). Highly recommend both. Hit Safeway grocery store for an early afternoon snack and souvenirs. Upon returning the van we were given a gratis tour of downtown. We elected to be dropped off in town to shop. Red Dog Saloon was too crowded so we just checked out a few shops in route to the ship.

Skagway: Rented a van for $75 from Avis which is located very close to the piers. We drove to Carcross, Yukon Territory, Canada (130 miles roundtrip). As it turned out, there’s really nothing in Carcross, but the trip was incredible. (It’s not the destination —– it’s the journey). There was almost no traffic at all. We saw but one bus, a truck, and maybe 2 dozen cars the entire trip. We saw bears, caribou, mountain goats and bald eagles. We saw snow capped mountains and crystal clear lakes, numerous water falls, sweeping valley and mountain views, raging rivers, the White Mountain Pass Train. The kids through snowballs. We got back into town about 2pm and shopped. Many interesting stores. The place was packed with 4 ships in port. Enjoyed an Alaska Amber Ale at the Red Onion Saloon and were driven back to the ship by the folks at Avis. Between 8pm and 10pm that night we saw numerous Humpback whales, including tail slaps, and a breach within 50 yards of the ship.

Ketchikan: the skies were clear. Short-sleeved shirts were the dress of the day. We simply walked around town. They experienced an electrical power shortage for about 1 hour around 8am. Some shops closed temporarily. Not much time to do anything special in Ketchikan other than visit the National Park Service’s museum which was quite informative, and shop. The town had some really fun shopping opportunities. Three places to stop in... "Good God" and ask for a sample of his Special Reserve smoked salmon; "Sockeye Sams": a nice all-around store; check out the ancient whale bone carvings. Look for the awesome (and reasonably priced) fossils and gemstones at "Poker Creek Gold" , and ask for a taste of the Birch Syrup at “Sam McGees” on Creek Street. We enjoyed another Alaska Amber Ale in a 3rd floor pub overlooking the dock. We didn’t leave the bar until the lines, to get back on the ship, got short.

Cruising Alaska on a Budget

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/alaska.html

Detailed information to assist you in getting ready for an Alaska cruise on a budget.

If I had to choose only one quality excursion in Juneau I would do the visit to the galcier and the sled dogs. How often do you get a chance to drive a sled led by the barking racing dogs? And the helicoptor ride over the glacier and seeing the water pools the color of windex was outstanding.

We then went down to a bar (a famous one, can't recall the name) and had a pint....the band inside was really good, and the leader of the band was so funny!

We also went whale watching in the evening, but did not really see any whales. Both of these excursions were through X.

We were there in June, and daylight well into the evening.

Archived