Juneau excursions - timing questions

star117

We'll be in Juneau from 8am - 9pm. Was thinking of the following plans for the day and would welcome any suggestions.

8:30-12:30 - whale watch tour

12:30-1:30 - lunch on ship

1:30 - 4:30 - Mendenhall Glacier (take $6 shuttle to/from) - not sure how long the shuttle ride is or how much time to 'average' at MG

4:30 - 6:30 - Mt Roberts Tram (maybe don't need 2 hrs, but heard wait times to get back down can be long ???)

Wow - typing this out looks like maybe TOO much - don't want to be dragging the kids and grandparents around by the end of the day.

Would also like to do a Salmon bake/local restaurant and a gold panning at some point on our cruise (will also be in Ketchikan and Skagway and Anchorage)...don't think it will fit in for our day in Juneau...any ideas???

thanks a bunch!

diana

You will be dragging by the end of the day, but I really think your plans are fine. Juneau is one port with so much to see and do that you really want to make the most of your time.

I would absolutely plan on 2 hours and maybe more for the Mt Roberts Tram, depending on how many ships are in port. I went up around 3 and it took me 45- 50 minutes to get back down - the line was that long. If you have early dining, make sure you have an alternative in case you do get delayed.

if doing the whale watch through a local vendor, you are going to be traveling the same road going to whale watching, back to ship and then out to mendenhall. the whale watching tours leave from auke bay, very near mendenhall. if you book through a local vendor, the can arrange to either pick you up at mendenhall or drop you off..and you can take the shuttle 1 way.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/discover/maps/area/index.cfm

should add, it's about 1/2 hour drive from the docks to auke, your plans you will be on the same road...you will be wasting an hour of your day going back to where you just were.

Yes, but then their lunch is free on the ship! :D

Seriously, there is a problem with the lunch timing. If they go with an independent vendor with the drop off at the glacier, does the vendor give them time to eat before leaving Auke Bay, or just drop them off on the way back downtown with the other passengers? (Remembering there's no food at all at the glacier. Oh, for the days when the visitor's center had a coffee shop.)

If they do a morning whale watch, then a hearty lunch at the Hot Bite at Auke Bay, then off to the glacier, there's no way to get there other than a taxi or public bus/walk if the vendor won't make special arrangements for them. (I would guess a taxi from Auke Bay to the glacier would be about $20. If your group can fit into one van, that may be a economical option.) I have heard of folks calling in orders to Hot Bite from the whale watching ship, then picking it up; perhaps that could work.

Also, will they be able to get off the ship and meet an independent vendor for this early of a whale watch?

Perhaps do an early supper at The Twisted Fish or Thane Ore House, then do the Tram. Remember, it's light well into the evening, and I assume there wouldn't be lines in the evening as folks fade and head back to the ships for dinner. I've gone up the Tram a few times during cruise season and have never encountered a line, but I can't think what my secret is.

Archived