First time NCL cruiser

hatsandmittens

Help! Our family will be taking its first NCL cruise this January on the Pearl. In the past we have sailed Disney, RCI and Carnival. I have been surfing the boards for a few weeks, but cannot seem to find answers to a few of my questions. Here goes:

1) I cannot seem to find any current infromation on the shows on the Pearl. My kids (10 and 7) obviously loved the shows on Disney, but also enjoyed a couple of the shows on the Carnival Glory.

2) I keep hearing how terrific the kids program is, but no specific informaiton on the types of activites that occur. Can anyone give me some examples? They both disliked the Disney kids program, and were luke warm on Carnivals. They like to pick and choose activites, and me an my DH plan our alone time around that. LOL.

3)Do they let kids into the extra fee restaurants. I cannot imagine bringing the kids to Cagney's, but the Japanese restaurant might be a fun experience for them. Anyone tried bringing their kids?

I appreciate any guidence or sharing of past experiences!

Thanks!!!!

We sailed Pearl last week and really liked this ship.

We saw lots of families in the Italian Restaurant. (Try tiramasu dessert).

We did see families at the Japanese restaurant too. Lotus Garden is great. Love the steak terriyaki and tempura.

Don't miss LeBistro for a romantic dinner ($15pp). I love the beef tenderloin with braised ribs. Ask for chocolate fondue.

Our favorite meal: Main Dining Rooms (Indigo & Summer Palace) first sea day: Seafood extravaganza (lobster, scallops, shrimp, mussels in a cream sauce) Yummy! You can see menus posted outside each restaurant every day. We loved lunch in the main dining room.

Don't miss the Great Outdoors Bar and Buffet on Deck 12 AFT behind the Garden Cafe. It is a great area for quiet reading afternoons or watching the sunset at night. My favorite place on the entire ship.

The first night of our cruise had a juggling act--kids love it. Our favorite night was the theater production "Sea Legs." Last night was a comedian--very funny. Don't miss the Spinnaker Lounge at 10:30pm. Band is the best of any cruiseline.

We cruise a different cruiseline each time we sail. We like variety in restaurants, shows, and ships.

3)Do they let kids into the extra fee restaurants. I cannot imagine bringing the kids to Cagney's, but the Japanese restaurant might be a fun experience for them. Anyone tried bringing their kids?

Kids are welcome in the Specialty restaurants. In fact my daughter (9) and my nephews (both under 7) went with us to the specialty restaurants. We enjoy, and think it is important, to dine as a family every night.

At most restaurants, my daughter ordered off the Kids Menu. The Kids Menu is the same in all restaurants on the ship. (Main & Specialty). There is no charge for kids to order off the Kids Menu. Also, kids can order anything off the Apetizer, Salad, Soup or dessert portions of the adult menus at Specialty restaurants for no charge. I find this as a great way for the kids to get to try new foods. (and if they don't like it....I get to eat it...lol) Only if the child orders an entree off of the Specialty Menu restaurant are they charged.

On our last cruise on the Dawn, we had several 2 for 1 coupons at Cagney's on the first night. We had an odd number of adults, so we let my daughter share a coupon with her Grandma and order a Filet Mignon. (since it was basically a free meal with Grandma's coupon.) Now the funny part....she loved the Filet Mignon (ate the whole thing!) and now wants it (or a steak) at many restaurants we go to.

As far as Kids Club Activities. They are varied and the kids are grouped by ages. I remember my daughter talking about a "Harry Potter" night and a "pirate night." My daughter has always loved the Kids Clubs on NCL ships and she has been sailing on them since she was 5.

Archived