cruise liner sinking

Lawrence22

2004031495.jpg

Photo speaks for itself!

I have seen that picture a few times now, on TV and on the front page of our newspaper, but it still makes me sad.

Sounds like she had a great run considering her age, but I still hate to see her end this way!

So glad the evacuation went well, and everyone is fine. What great stories they will have to tell.

I have seen that picture a few times now, on TV and on the front page of our newspaper, but it still makes me sad.

Sounds like she had a great run considering her age, but I still hate to see her end this way!

So glad the evacuation went well, and everyone is fine. What great stories they will have to tell.

Hopefully all passenegers will have attended and took notice of the muster drill on the day the ship set sail

We cruised recently on Carnival Glory and it is amazing how many people take the drill as a bit of a joke,turning up on deck with drinks in their hands,not listening to the instructions etc etc.

Let's hope this tragedy never happens again..

The ship had several deficiences noted during it's last inspection including a problem with it's watertight doors. As you may know these doors are designed to seal off areas of the ship.

Whether this had anything to do with the sinking remains to be determined by the investigation that will surely follow.

Jimmers:)

Thank you. I think it could very well reveal a problem.

Here's a link to a good video of her sinking: http://www.**************.com/other-lines/27512-explorer-sinking.html#post973052

Garry

I couldn't get this link to open...could you please check what is supposed to be in the ******?

Thanks to all who posted such informative links.

I did read that the passengers had to endure very cold temperatures for a few hours in the life boats while waiting for the rescue ship to arrive.

Wonder what a trip like that would cost compared to a typical cruise to the caribbean.

Jimmers

I may be in the minority here but I find it difficult to call any ship that carries 154 passengers a "cruise liner." I know of mega yachts that can hold more people than that.

I may be in the minority here but I find it difficult to call any ship that carries 154 passengers a "cruise liner." I know of mega yachts that can hold more people than that.

Yea, you may be right but sounds like an interesting ride anyway.

Jimmers

Wonder what a trip like that would cost compared to a typical cruise to the caribbean.

Jimmers

we did this cruise on the marco polo earlier this year and it cost in excess of $10,000 ( 10 days) which is much cheaper then the ship that sank. it was a truely amazing expedition worth every cent.

OK, as a newbie to these forums and never having cruised before can someone explain a little to me.

What are the "muster drills" I am assuming it is a emergency meeting of some sort.

What would the "normal" procedure be in a situation of this?? I heard they were picked up by another cruise liner, but from everyone's comments I assume that they were all put into life boats first and then waited for the other liner. What are the "life boats" and could they hold up on the icy waters.

All I know is my husband tried to talk me into the Alaska cruise as our first ever cruise next year but I finally convinced him to do the southern caribben instead. We may still do the alaskan someday, but this makes me glad I am heading somewhere warm!!!

OK, as a newbie to these forums and never having cruised before can someone explain a little to me.

What are the "muster drills" I am assuming it is a emergency meeting of some sort.

What would the "normal" procedure be in a situation of this?? I heard they were picked up by another cruise liner, but from everyone's comments I assume that they were all put into life boats first and then waited for the other liner. What are the "life boats" and could they hold up on the icy waters.

All I know is my husband tried to talk me into the Alaska cruise as our first ever cruise next year but I finally convinced him to do the southern caribben instead. We may still do the alaskan someday, but this makes me glad I am heading somewhere warm!!!

Yeah, the warm water is better than the cold water, but just remember this: Sharks don't like cold water :eek: :D !

The Caribbean is very nice, but to me Alaska was the most beautiful place I've ever been...

Archived