1/5/2008 Roll call St. Thomas- Wind Spriit

gymswim

We are looking forward to sailing on the Wind Spirit again (thirtieth cruise on Windstar) January 5th, 2008 on one of our favorite itinereries. Hope to see more or our fellow Cruise Critic friends aboard!

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

To answer some of the questions posted:

Weather and the number of other ships docking in St Martin seems to determine where we dock at St Martin.

I've been there six times and we never know for sure too far in advance, most of the time we're on the Dutch (south) side, but a few times, we've been surprised (pleasantly) by docking on the French (north) side.

Virgin Gorda I think we anchored in Trunk Bay last time, and St. Barts is always Gustavia.

We're looking forward to setting sail January 5th.

Bill

I was glad to see your post, as it seems you must know everything there is to know about both Windstar and Wind Spirit's Caribbean itinerary. I'll be on her Jan. 12 sailing. The ship will feel wonderfully familiar since I was on Wind Star's Costa Rica voyage last January. However, the Caribbean is new to me -- the closest I've been is on its shores in Belize (which I loved). I've enjoyed many (14-15?) cruises, including Greek Isles, Alaska, New Zealand, Mexico, and Hawaii -- but never yet the Caribbean. (Our Pacific Northwest location makes Hawaii or Mexico logistically easier for us.)

Any suggestions you may have will be appreciated. I love this size ship, do not like crowds, am not much of a shopper, love hiking (although warm climates limit my hiking speed and endurance) and being in nature, adore snorkeling and viewing wildlife.

I'm meeting my sister (our husbands dislike air travel) at STT 2 days before our cruise, so any suggestions for our time there will be greatly appreciated, too.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Xoe:

Since you adore snorkeling, you will be glad to know you picked one of the best itineraries in the Caribbean for that activity. St John's has lovely snorkeling. You can elect to do one of the organized snorkeling trips or set out on your own to any number of nearby beaches. Check with the sports coordinators and the ship's hosts for their latest advice on which organized snorkel tour they especially recommend. I have not done this particular itinerary for three years so I don't have the latest news about the vendors Windstar is contracting with these days.

St Baarts is about the only port I felt inclined to venture into the stores. It's French, and it was fun to practice my version of the language and to walk along the wharf looking at the many mega yachts tied up along side. The stores are nice, especially right along the harbor...walking to your left you'll find a particularly nice t shirt shop. With the current exchange rate between the USD and the euro don't expect to find any bargains however! St Baarts was always pricy but probably never more so than now!

A couple of people took cabs to some of the resorts and spent the day. All had great things to share that evening, but expect to pay a lot for the whole experience!

I prefer to spend my time underwater, but this is one port I like to allow time ashore.

As for STT, each time we've taken this itinerary, we take the last flight out of MIA to STT which arrives after 9pm at night in STT. That leaves us only Saturday morning to venture around town. I've not traveled outside the town however, and you're better off seeing what Foders has to say and what you can learn off the internet.

My Grandfather was the second US Governor of the VI, so we always go up to Government House to look at his picture in the lobby. The Governor's house is open to the public and it's a picturesque walk with lovely views of the harbor.

Great information, great ideas. Fortunately shopping isn't a big thing for me -- but snorkeling is, also walkabout exploring of new places.

A week from right now, I will be arriving, bleary-eyed after red-eye SEA-DFW-MIA-STT, then meeting my sister at the airport and taxiing to The Green Iguana for 2 days pre-cruise recovery + exploring Charlotte Amelie.

CAN'T WAIT! Our weather on the home front has definitely been something to escape from lately . . .

Archived