Missing the Ship and Reboarding at Next Port

sasset

Just off of the Summit Hawaii and this was a new one on me.

The daily had a paragraph everyday that said per the CBP (Customs and Border Protection) that if you miss the ship at any of the ports you will not be allowed to reboard at the next port.

Regards

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it probably has something to do with the Jones Act which places certain prohibitions on foreign carriers (like Celebrity) visiting two consecutive US ports of call without first visiting a foreign port.

Hi Sasset,

Hope you had a great cruise! I'm surprised by that rule...esp. if you miss a port in Hawaii and need to reboard at another port in Hawaii, since you would not have left the country. Did they have customs checks each time you reboarded? I wonder if the same rule applies for cruises that cruise along the east and west coasts.

We did this same cruise in 2004 and 2005 on Infinity and I never saw that admonishment in the daily. The funny thing was after the last port the paragraph was replaced with one that said anyone missing the ship had to make their own arrangements to rejoin.

No Customs at all until San Diego.

Regards

Just off of the Summit Hawaii and this was a new one on me.

The daily had a paragraph everyday that said per the CBP (Customs and Border Protection) that if you miss the ship at any of the ports you will not be allowed to reboard at the next port.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it probably has something to do with the Jones Act which places certain prohibitions on foreign carriers (like Celebrity) visiting two consecutive US ports of call without first visiting a foreign port.
I too think that it is Passenger Service Act issue. But I don't think foreign flagged vessels are prohibited from visiting two consecutive US ports, they just are not allowed to embark passengers in one US port and disembark them in a different US port without visiting a DISTANT foreign port [all Mexican, all Canadian and most Caribbean ports are NOT distant] [round-trip foreign flagged traffic embarking and disembarking in the same US port, merely requires a stop in any foreign port, hence the technical stop in Ensenada on round trips from LA or SD to Hawaii].

We were on this cruise dec 2007. They did not have the disclaimer in the newspaper at that time.friends missed the ship and were not allowed to rebord the next day.They were told its the jones act and we had not visited a foreign port.they were left in kona and had to make arrangements to fly home.a very expensive trip.At least celebrity is now printing the warning in the daily paper as our friends learnt the hard way.

Just before we left Hawaii for our return home on Summit in early October, a passenger had to disembark for health reasons (by ambulance).

I discussed the topic with the Hotel Director and he stated that a fine applies to both passenger and cruise line as well for anyone getting off for whatever reason. In a case of this type, an appeal may be made by the passenger and X to have the fine nullified but it is not automatic.

It was my understanding that an additional fine is levied if a cruise line allows too many passengers to contravene the Passenger Service (Jones) Act in the course of a year.

If you were to miss your ship's departure in San Diego, you could not fly to Hawaii and board there for the same reason.

Archived