Kids/Teen Programs

Jacqueline

I havent seen too much on this. I would expect good numbers on holiday periods. How well do they keep the kids entertained ? Are the spaces well equipt? I found that when the teen center was cozy the kids actually used them much more.

Ironically I have found some of the lines that don't tout kids programs to be the best (Celebrity M class is great yet RCL really pushed families to RCI !).

Having sailed on two Celebrity "M" Class voyages, I can understand why you were steered away from Celebrity.

In the Constellation's inaugural year, we took her first Nordic Cruise. It was in early summer. Although there were 3 levels of children's programs, they

went wild and caused thousands of dollars of damage and several injuries to other passengers. The brass elevator doors were severely sratched on all elevators (inside only), food was regularly thrown not only in the casual dining areas but also in the main dining room. One of our tablemates, an Psychiatrist (For violent criminal in the U.S.) was struct by a fork as we were dining at the late seating. He was so shocked, he stood up and immediately reprimanded the boy. After that, the father threatened him with a steak knife for speaking to his child. After the event, threateneding messeges were left at his stateroom and he and his wife had to move.

Fortunately, this family group was put off the ship at the next available port.

We took the Millenium this last April. Cautionary notes are everywhere about children and how the parents will be held responsible for any damage done by their children. If you have taken the Celebrity ships lately you have seen them. Celebrity has also started offering "Adults Only" cruises.

Its unfortunate that a few parents refusing to act as parents have caused this.

If the QMII is like the QEII, there are childen's programs. On the QEII, your children could also eat at an earlier (more child appropriate time) with the shipboard nannies. Cunard was quite strict regarding dangerous activities and did not hesitate to admonish a child who was running, hanging from the steps outside, etc. They will also notify you if this is an event that recurs.

I've never been on Cunard but we had wonderful experience on Celebrity Century..They had very good kids club and although my son was almost twelve at that time and didn't spend as much time there he still participated in many activities, like pool competitions, trivia games, basketball , youth kareoke etc. They had special kids dinner on both formal nights and kids club was open til 1 AM . I heard younger kids (5 - 8) had a blast! Yes X didn't have rock climbing wall, ice rinks but kids liked what they had.

I was on board the QM2 with my 14 year old daughter and her 14 year old friend. These are two very well traveled teens. At the end of our adventure they both told me they would NEVER cruise on any other ship the QM2 was it for them. The only time I saw them was at meals; they have maintained e-mails with the teens they met as well as the teen program leader. We have 2 more booked!! They had a blast!

Malinda

Archived