San Juan Hotels?

scooter06

The ships that load in San Juan dock at the Pan Am Pier, this is outside of Old San Juan and will need a taxi ride from your hotel. We stayed at the Holiday in Vista Verde closer to the airport, so i'm afraid can't recommend a restaurant for you, but am sure other posters will be able to help. :)

Locals recommended El Jabarito to us as a good restaurant that they liked to eat at. I am not at my home computer, so don't have the address. It is up the hill from the pier and hotel area. Maybe Calle Sol? Good local food. Would eat there again in a heartbeat.

The Sheraton OSJ is across the harbor from the Pan Am Pier. It's about a 15 minute taxi ride to the pier. We ate at Cafe de la Puerto Rico which was a few blocks away from the Sheraton. Good food, large portions, not too expensive, casual restaurant. We ate there at the recommendations of the bellhops at the hotel and were so happy with it, we went back post cruise.

We are staying at the Sheraton in old San Juan. Is that near the AOS? Any good recommendations for casual dinner around there (good food more important than atmosphere.) Thanks!

We enjoyed the Parrot Club, lot of noise, crowded, but lots of fun and good food.

What about dinner at the Marriott Stellaris? Which restaurant there?

We just stayed at the Marriot this month. Fabulous hotel. The food there is a bit high at night. The restaurant downstairs is least expensive. ;) Breakfast buffet and lunch buffet is very good, but a little costly. You can also order off of a regular menu.

Outside of the Marriott are a lot of nice places, both very resonable and higher priced. Across the street is a Fish Restaurant. Out the front door to the right is a Japanese Restaurant. Both $$$

Or, go out the front door and walk left about a block and a half. There is an Italian restaurant on the left called Danny's. It has seating outside on the front porch or inside. The food is really good and very reasonable. It is very casual as is the one across the street from it.

Right across the street from Danny's is another restaurant that is also always crowded. there you can eat in seats and tables that "glide while you eat". Very unusual. :D Both of these places were recommend to us by the bellhop at the hotel. We ate at Danny's 2 nights and 1 lunch before our Empress cruise this month.

We are staying at the Sheraton in old San Juan. Is that near the AOS? Any good recommendations for casual dinner around there (good food more important than atmosphere.) Thanks!

There is a place right across the street from the front door of the The Sheraton OSJ. I can not remember the name of it but we used to stay at the Sheraton even when the hotel was the Wyndham. We ate there several times over the years. So do many of the locals so you know it is good food. ;)

If you walk out the front door of the hotel there is a building directly across the narrow street from it. Go in that door across from the hotels front door. In the middle of that building that has shops and things is the open restaurant. It is very reasonable and we have always had really good food there. I will try to find the name of it for you.

The hotels food is good but was very expensive when we stayed there in Dec. 2004.

There is a place right across the street from the front door of the The Sheraton OSJ. I can not remember the name of it but we used to stay at the Sheraton even when the hotel was the Wyndham. We ate there several times over the years. So do many of the locals so you know it is good food. ;)

If you walk out the front door of the hotel there is a building directly across the narrow street from it. Go in that door across from the hotels front door. In the middle of that building that has shops and things is the open restaurant. It is very reasonable and we have always had really good food there. I will try to find the name of it for you.

The hotels food is good but was very expensive when we stayed there in Dec. 2004.

Mofongo Criollo Cuisine & Bar

http://www.mofongocriollo.com/English/index.html

Here is their website which includes all their menus, pictures and information.

We just stayed at the Marriot this month. Fabulous hotel. The food there is a bit high at night. The restaurant downstairs is least expensive. ;) Breakfast buffet and lunch buffet is very good, but a little costly. You can also order off of a regular menu.

Outside of the Marriott are a lot of nice places, both very resonable and higher priced. Across the street is a Fish Restaurant. Out the front door to the right is a Japanese Restaurant. Both $$$

Or, go out the front door and walk left about a block and a half. There is an Italian restaurant on the left called Danny's. It has seating outside on the front porch or inside. The food is really good and very reasonable. It is very casual as is the one across the street from it.

Right across the street from Danny's is another restaurant that is also always crowded. there you can eat in seats and tables that "glide while you eat". Very unusual. :D Both of these places were recommend to us by the bellhop at the hotel. We ate at Danny's 2 nights and 1 lunch before our Empress cruise this month.

Alexis....Thanks for the info. Cost is not a consideration at this point as we will need something in the hotel. Right now I am having severe trouble walking due to back/hip pain so we will just be hanging "in" the hotel for the one evening and trying to rest and relax before getting on the ship the next day. Normally I would be asking folks for things "close by" but unfortunately not this time. Thanks for the info though!

Alexis....Thanks for the info. Cost is not a consideration at this point as we will need something in the hotel. Right now I am having severe trouble walking due to back/hip pain so we will just be hanging "in" the hotel for the one evening and trying to rest and relax before getting on the ship the next day. Normally I would be asking folks for things "close by" but unfortunately not this time. Thanks for the info though!

Sorry to hear that.

In that case just take the elevators to the ground floor to the restaurant that overlooks the pool and beach bar. Great food, great service. You can select from either a buffet for breakfast, lunch or dinner. (A Grand buffet at night and on Sunday) Or a menu choice. We ate there 3 times. All good each time. ( We were in San Juan for several days before our cruise. That is how we got to try so many different places. ) ;) Enjoy.

Hi Scooter06,

The Holiday Inn was fine, the people were wonderful, we had a little trouble trying to regulate the air conditioning, but nothing that bothered us. Their in house restaurants worked out great, as we didn't want to have to drive anywhere. We stayed there for two days, so ate breakfast and dinner each day..no problem with the choices on the menu and good friendly service. We are sailing on AOS again in Oct 08, and have already decided we will be going back there again.:)

Should you need a rental car, they have in house service from Dollar Rent-a-Car, they bring your car to the door, and you just drive it into the parking lot when you are done using it. The price was also very reasonable, plus on the morning you leave, the taxis are all lined up waiting for you (lots of vans if you have lots of luggage).:)

hotels while in San Juan. We have stayed at the Marriott in Condado which was very nice. We recently were in SJ for a long weekend and stayed at the Embassy Suites. It was resonably priced and included a buffet breakfast. I think we payed 159 a night. We were there in October. As far as restaurants, we like going to this little place just down the street from the Marriott called Tijuana's. They have a Mariachi ( sp ) band playing there and they have thee best Mango Margaritta's. The food was very good and was resonable. We hit this place everytime we are in SJ. We have also stayed at the Intercontinental. This is a more expensive hotel but very nice. The restaurant attached "Ruth Chris Steakhouse" was VERY good but mucho dinero $$ LOL

We stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan in October and had dinner on Saturday night at The Parrot Club. It was very good, the service was very good and the price was a bit high. When we are on vacation we don't even look at prices so it didn't really matter to us. I would definanetly recommend The Parrot Club and you can walk there from the hotel. It was a nice walk...even in the rain!!

For breakfast we ate downstairs at the restaurant in the Sheraton...it was VERY expensive and not worth it at all...I would not recommend going there.

Teresa

We stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan in October and had dinner on Saturday night at The Parrot Club. It was very good, the service was very good and the price was a bit high. When we are on vacation we don't even look at prices so it didn't really matter to us. I would definanetly recommend The Parrot Club and you can walk there from the hotel. It was a nice walk...even in the rain!!

For breakfast we ate downstairs at the restaurant in the Sheraton...it was VERY expensive and not worth it at all...I would not recommend going there.

Teresa

Teresa - how was the Sheraton? We're thinking about staying there b/c of its close proximity to shopping and dining in Old San Juan. How was the room & amenities - cleanliness, etc? and the cost! :D

Archived