Air add-ons

scotiacruiser

We have just returned from our second Oceania cruise - Athens to Rome on Nautica. It reconfirmed our opinion - Oceania is the best cruise line we have sailed. Everything exceeded our expectations.

Our only disappointment is that the air fare included promotions mean air from major cities in Canada (e.g.Toronto and Vancouver). That wouldn't be so bad, but they do not allow air add-on from smaller centers (e.g. our departure city of Halifax NS on the east coast). Air included from Toronto would be fine, if they would allow an air add-on from Halifax so we could use one ticket for the journey. As it is now, it has been easier and more cost effective for us to opt out and apply the air credit to arranging our own air passage. Any air included promotion is wasted on us.

This is the ONLY thing that is lacking in the Oceania product, but one that makes us feel like someone from the nether regions of our vast country.

Despite this, we remain committed Oceania fans.

We live in the nation's capital and experience the same limitation. For our upcoming O group cruise, our TA arranged for the air credit and booked us shorter more direct flights from Ottawa.

We have cruised RCI and experienced the same situation. Only Toronto, Vancouver and possibly Montreal are "gateway cities" in Canada. Seems to be a cruise industry standard.

I hope O is reading these posts and will expand the number of gateways in Canada. Glad to hear you enjoyed your latest O cruise.

I seems that this only bothers the Canadians! We face a similar issue even with the short hop across from Vancouver. Having this leg included on the same ticket would be great. On our return from Insignia eralier this month we opted to overnight in Vancouver as it was too uncertain booking a separate flight.

I don't undersatnd why they aren't able to offer this. One woudl think they could make a $ and the customers would get a benefit as well. I must be missing something in how the air program works.

I wonder if there was another of those infamous communication problems :confused:

They state on the website & the brochures the "Primary Air cities"

Then

Air transportation from cities not listed on the chart can be arranged upon request for a small, additional fee. Your Travel Agent can provide you with more information regarding air carriers, air routings, and departure and arrival times.

To me that means an air add-on.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong) the free air is from the "Primary cities" and flights from any other airports may or may not incur an extra fee

They state on the website & the brochures the "Primary Air cities"

Then

Air transportation from cities not listed on the chart can be arranged upon request for a small, additional fee. Your Travel Agent can provide you with more information regarding air carriers, air routings, and departure and arrival times.

To me that means an air add-on.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong) the free air is from the "Primary cities" and flights from any other airports may or may not incur an extra fee

This is quite common monist most cruise lines. Their negotiated air arrangements include air from most "major" airports - and connecting air to these hubs would be extra.

It would be quite difficult to negotiate air arrangements from each and every conceivable airport throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Although we do pay the add-on, we get one ticket that "O" supplies.

Are you all saying that you have to make your own arrangements from your town to a "gateway" city in Canada?

It should also be on one ticket if booked through the cruiseline

I'm missing something - when you say, "It should also be on one ticket if booked through the cruiseline" - are you saying that if you take "O's" air and you do not live in a gateway city, that you must get your own tickets to get to a gateway city?

I'm missing something - when you say, "It should also be on one ticket if booked through the cruiseline" - are you saying that if you take "O's" air and you do not live in a gateway city, that you must get your own tickets to get to a gateway city?

NO ....unless you want to do separate tickets.

You can get connecting flights and they will processed on 1 ticket (if you pay the extra) just like you did for yours.

Our friend from N.S. always has to fly to Toronto or NY to get to the cruise port & his TA always books him on 1 ticket ...

That is why I don't understand why the OP had such a problem unless they did not want to pay the difference in airfare or they were just complaining that Oceania needs to add more "Primary Gateways" to the list

PA Nana

That's exactly what I am saying - we must get ourselves to a gateway city. I am willing to pay extra to make my journey all on one ticket, but O says no add-ons from my home airport of Halifax. Coming from the east coast, the connections are usually not doable on the same day, which means that we must travel a day ahead with overnight somewhere. We would always wish to arrive 1 day pre-cruise and would pay deviation. It just means that we can never count on the security of cruise line air in the event of delays (you know - getting you to the ship if connections fail).

PA Nana

That's exactly what I am saying - we must get ourselves to a gateway city. I am willing to pay extra to make my journey all on one ticket, but O says no add-ons from my home airport of Halifax.

That is strange

Continenal has flights from YHZ to ATH via newark depart YHZ 1:05 pm arr ATH 10:10 the next day with a connection in Newark of about 3 hrs

returning from Rome at 9:55am arrive YHZ 8:49 pm with a long layover in newark of 4 hr but it is doable

Your TA should be able to find similar flights and work with Oceania even if you pay the deviation fee it can be done.

https://www.continental.com/web/en-US/apps/travel/timetable/default.aspx?SID=6D2725B3BC4A4220A60F933CA7737DB4&Origin=FCO&Destination=YHZ&Date=10%2f17%2f2008&Time=&NonStop=&NumFlight=&FLN=&

So the other question is Halifax not part of the 130 other gateway cities Oceania deals with???

Now that I understand let me ask one more question. Is this something that has always happened to you with other cruise lines - I noticed you said you've cruised since 1994? Or is it a problem that only happens with

"O"? I'd be asking some of the other TA's (with luck maybe one of the ones who posts on CC will jump in here and tell you that they CAN book you on one ticket with just the add-on fee) or if their clients from your locale are all having to do likewise. If not, you can bet I'd be finding a new TA.

I'm sure you have already thoroughly investigated though. That's too bad as it would certainly pump up the expense of a trip. I'm with you - we really like cruising with "O", it would sure be hard to go back to a mass line. I think I'd rather just stay home!

That is the exact itinerary we used this time, but we did the whole thing on our own after opting out of Oceania air. We traveled when we wanted, got a good credit from Oceania and a great deal with Continental. Other cruises we usually book our own air, because of the connection problems, and the fact that you don't know the arranged air early enough to book connections with points or on a seat sale. We did air included on RCI on a repositioning from Boston to Miami once, and our first cruise with Princess had air included - ungodly times of departure for us though.

Some day we will want to be taken care of and have the cruise line arrange everything. I just hope that it can be Oceania.

p.s. we are very loyal to our TA who tried to work with Oceania, but the rules changed this year.

Archived