Tours to Torres del Paine?

SD_Murph

We are on a Oceania trip in early January that stops in Punta Arenas at noon and departs the next evening at 6pm. We're thinking of an overnight trip to the Torres del Paine National Park and wonder if anyone has done a similar excursion?

The tour group we've found ( Aventourpatagonia.com ) has offered a trip that will pick us up in a van for the 4-hour drive to the Park with accommodations overnight at Cabanas del Paine. The price is great and we're very interested to see the sights at Torres del Paine - provided the weather holds.

Has anyone visited the Park or can you recommend the overland trek? The ship's tour is a charter flight from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales, followed by the 1-hour drive to the Park - returning that evening to the ship. Their price is $859/person - significantly more than the tour operator's cost for 4 of us.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Janette and Lance Murphy

We were on Nautica in December of 2004, and I remember talking to a couple who had taken the ship tour (flight + drive). They loved the scenery and reported that they saw someone who did the drive only (no flight) as part of a private tour.

In September this year we did a land tour of Chile, and spent some time in Torres del Paine. The scenery there is truly breathtaking. There are a few pictures of the park in our trip photo collection. I didn't include any of the sunset photos I took in the park in this collection, but that was frosting on the cake.

It is a long drive from Punta Arenas to the park, but well worth it in my opinion. You might also see if the tour operator will stop at Otway Sound so you can see the penguins as Otway Sound is very close to the road north out of Punta Arenas. There isn't much else to see in Punta Arenas, so the overnight itenerary you are considering sounds like a great way to go.

alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the information. It sounds like even a little time in Torres del Paine is better than not seeing it at all. By the way, we will be sailing on Insignia. Our main concern is not making it back to the ship in time. Do you know if the roads are subject to closure if there is bad weather?

Janette

I spent 6 days hiking in the Torres Del Paine about 6 years ago. It remains one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, but its a really long drive from Puente Arenas. The glaciers and the lake and the mountains are unbelievable. Would recommend going to anyone, just not sure you are going to get much in during the time you will be there.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the information. It sounds like even a little time in Torres del Paine is better than not seeing it at all. By the way, we will be sailing on Insignia. Our main concern is not making it back to the ship in time. Do you know if the roads are subject to closure if there is bad weather?

Janette

Senior moment :o . . . we were also on Insignia for the South America cruise. Our Asia cruise was on Nautica.

As for weather, you will be there in their summertime and you will be close to sea level, so I would not expect road closures to be much of a concern.

alan

Wow the photos are gorgeous! We are going to do the Park as with HAL. Ends up being a long day at 11 hours but now I see it will be worth the money and time. Didn't book much directly with the cruise line... we did on this one due to the distance and logistics.....

Now if only I took such nice pictures.....

Well back to figuring out what to pack ;)

Archived