Wine and Water questions

jimgev

I'll be visiting Key West for the first time on a cruise stop in early April.

Is there a place near the cruise ship docks that sells bottles of decent wine? In FL, is wine sold in grocery stores, liquor stores?

I am considering a kayak excursion. Has anyone had experience with this? Is it worrthwhile? Also, what would be the expected water temperature in early April?

Thanks.

Jim

I don't know about particular places in Key West, especially near the dock, as it has been years since I've been there. But, I did wanted to let you know that, yes, grocery stores are allowed to sell liquor in FL. Just remember that if you take it back onto the cruise ship with you, some (many?) lines will take it from you and not give it back to you until your last night so you can pack it in your bags.

You didn't say if you've ever kayaked before or not, but it is great and I think you'll enjoy it!

I'll be visiting Key West for the first time on a cruise stop in early April.

Is there a place near the cruise ship docks that sells bottles of decent wine? In FL, is wine sold in grocery stores, liquor stores?

Thanks.

Jim

Fausto's supermarket is located on Fleming Street, which is 5 blocks up Duval St then take a left on Fleming and Fausto's will be on your right. They probably have the best wine selection in old town and it is an easy walk.

And while you are at Fausto's pick up a jar of their unigue and delightful pink grapefruit marmalade. I don't know of any other place that sells that specialty.

The water in April typically runs in the low 70s, but that will depend on recent weather near your cruise. If there has been a cold snap--unlikely that late in the year--the water could dip a few degrees lower. If we have a warm March, the water could be a few degrees higher. I would not be surprised that weather in late March and early April will be quite warm if the unseasonably warm November we are having is any indication of what is to come.

I've been on both the Danger Charters and Sebago Island T'ing, all-day trips that include a snorkel stop and, after lunch on the boat, a kayak paddle around a mangrove island which includes an on-going talk about the inhabitants and the mangroves. A lot of fun and very entertaining.

There is also Island Dog's layak trip which I have not done, but IIRC that is based just off Key West proper on Stock Island.

hth

Pjk

Cruisemom is correct - the drug stores carry wine, too. Just not the biggest selection, so if you're looking for something in particular, you prob'ly won't find it there. If you're just looking for something to drink and don't care too much what it is, you'll find something there. (I've bought wine in a drug store before - it isn't bad stuff nor does it come in boxes ;) .)

Archived