S/O What do you do the first night/morning of the cruise with your little ones?

JennyJenn

I have to admit--i was reading with envy in the RCCL forum what people said they do the first night of the cruise, sans children....ah...those were the days....

So--all you mom and dads...what do YOU do the first night (and first morning) of the cruise?

:)

LOL I don't envy what those people do because as hard as I try, I just can't stay out late and party anymore. Just too tired...lol. ;)

The first day/night, we register for AO. Do the sailaway party. Swim. Have dinner. Put the kids to bed at generally their normal time on the first night and we retire out to the balcony for some SILENCE. :D

The next morning we get up by 7:30am. Have breakfast in the dining room. By this the the kids are BEGGING to go to AO. So we drop them off from about 9am-11am while we explore the ship and get some sun.

This is going to be a good thread thanks for starting this. :) Last year when I left my little one at home I still couldn't stay out late. DH wanted to go to the show and I fell asleep... at the show.

I can only say what I'm planning. After the boat drill we will be taking a nap and then going to late dinner. After dinner we will play it by ear. If the little one is ready for bed then we will go to bed. If he still has a bit of energy then we will take a little walk around the ship.

The next day Mommy will get up with the little one and we will go to breakfast. Daddy may or may not join us (he says he will) and then we spend the morning exploring the ship (My son is at the stage where he can walk for miles as long as you don't stop), swimming (bringing blow up pool), talking to our friends, and attending the M & M. Hopefully we'll get Daddy to go with us to Toddler time which I think runs from 12-2 which is lunch time so I guess we'll have to leave early enough to get to the buffet before it closes. :)

It is what Celebrity offers for those too young for their kids program (Under 3). " Toddler Time

Children participating in organized X-Club events must be age 3 and fully potty trained. However you can accompany your child to the Fun Factory or any organized activity. Toddler Time is also offered to allow the parents of toddlers and their children to interact with other children their age. The X-Club team will provide suitable toys and products for your toddlers. Please check the X-Club daily program for times and locations. In accordance with USPH policies and standards, Celebrity has provided each vessel with lavatory based changing tables and baby wipes."

My first time too. Last year we went without him. We spent the whole time missing him. When we got home he gave us a horrible look and it took two days before he'd forgive me. Never again. I'm more then happy to give up the freedom I would have had to not go through that. And I think he'll like the quality time he'll get with us.

I was a bit worried because he was going through a terrible behavior stage, but since getting over his pneumonia his terrible twos, although very much still there, seem to be a bit more within the normal range.

And then the switch flips back just as quick. It's so weird. Mine is 26 months. Now to just keep him healthy for the next 17 days.

I get back the day before you leave. I'll do my best to get on here and post any pointers I've learned just a quickly as I can. Most people taking their kids on Christmas 7 day Cruises, unfortunately, I'll be too late to help.

Count me in with the group that can't stay out late anymore, even if I wanted to! We are taking our 2 1/2 year old with us on Saturday on the Grand Princess. On the first day, we just go exploring around the ship, check out the kids area and the splash pool and then have lunch and a nap (fingers crossed). Then we get ready for dinner.

Last year when we went, our luggage arrived just as DS was sleeping, so we were completely unpacked by the time he woke up. Hopefully that will be the case.

My hubby and I have developed a nice little evening routine...on our way back to the room to get DS ready for bed, we grab a few beers, wine or whatever...once DS is asleep, we retire to the balcony and relax with our drinks. Now THAT is my idea of a perfect night!:)

I consider any trip with our little guy as an adventure and the adventure begins as soon as we get on the boat! Well, actually I guess it begins as soon as we get to the airport tomorrow!

Happy travels!:)

Myraid - Have a great trip!!!!!

JennyJenn - The sailaway party is the party that happens as the boat starts to leave the port. Everyone goes up to the top deck and waves goodbye to no one in particular. My oldest always says "We have no one to wave to" and I say "Who cares, just wave" :p There is always dancing and my kids think it's fun.

Also, Aqua Tots are 45 minute sessions where you can get together daily with other parents and their toddlers. The groups are divided up between under 18 months and 18-36 months. The times vary so just check the compass when you get onboard.

Alright, if truth be told I am exactly like all of you who cannot stay awake any longer. I thought it was only me. You probably would not have guessed it since I seem so concerned about the times in Adventure Ocean, etc. I guess I TRY to stay awake "late" at night and want the option in case it actually happens! LOL........Truth is a few weeks ago my husband and I went to dinner later because we did some xmas shopping....it was only 9:00 and I could barely hold my eyes open! What's up with that?!!! I was under the impression that everyone partied all night on a cruise.... Anyhow, first day we usually eat first then hang out by the pool and watch sail away. Then its ready for dinner and then the first welcome aboard show and then its PARTY TIME......NOT....its usually lights out. Uggghhhhh......lol

Have a great time tomorrow! How in the world were you able to unpack while your kiddo was sleeping? I am so nervous about tiptoe-ing around my DD while she naps/sleeps....driving me crazy!

Count me in with the group that can't stay out late anymore, even if I wanted to! We are taking our 2 1/2 year old with us on Saturday on the Grand Princess. On the first day, we just go exploring around the ship, check out the kids area and the splash pool and then have lunch and a nap (fingers crossed). Then we get ready for dinner.

Last year when we went, our luggage arrived just as DS was sleeping, so we were completely unpacked by the time he woke up. Hopefully that will be the case.

My hubby and I have developed a nice little evening routine...on our way back to the room to get DS ready for bed, we grab a few beers, wine or whatever...once DS is asleep, we retire to the balcony and relax with our drinks. Now THAT is my idea of a perfect night!:)

I consider any trip with our little guy as an adventure and the adventure begins as soon as we get on the boat! Well, actually I guess it begins as soon as we get to the airport tomorrow!

Happy travels!:)

Sharon, I'm so glad to hear that your little devil has become more angelic as he's felt better. It's so hard to watch your children enduring illness when they really don't understand why they feel so badly.

I have been having a good laugh over the staying up late thing... or lack thereof. I'm a 'chair sleeper'. Yes, I admit it. Gosh, I remember the days when my sister and I, and some of my friends, would laugh and laugh about how my Grandma would drift off in her chair... and now it's me. My husband laughs at me all the time. Thank goodness for pvr (likeTivo), or I'd never know 'who dun it' on CSI!! ha ha ha

Have a great time tomorrow! How in the world were you able to unpack while your kiddo was sleeping? I am so nervous about tiptoe-ing around my DD while she naps/sleeps....driving me crazy!

Thanks!

Las year we had a mini-suite and the cruise line installed a heavy curtain between the sleeping/living area for us so we were able to hang out in the sleeping area (which includes the bathroom and the door outside) while DS slept in the living area. Getting out to the balcony was tricky, but once he is asleep he doesn't hear anything!

I am hoping the cruiseline will do the same for us this year- if not, we have brought some hooks and string and we will hang a sheet up!!!

Have a wonderful trip yourself!:)

I have been having a good laugh over the staying up late thing... or lack thereof. I'm a 'chair sleeper'. Yes, I admit it. Gosh, I remember the days when my sister and I, and some of my friends, would laugh and laugh about how my Grandma would drift off in her chair... and now it's me. My husband laughs at me all the time. Thank goodness for pvr (likeTivo), or I'd never know 'who dun it' on CSI!! ha ha ha

LOL...that's funny. I'm the same way though if I'm out doing something much easier to stay awake then when I'm in front of the TV. Nothing like having the DVR to catch up on all the shows I fell asleep thru, LOL!

Last cruise on the first day we got on the ship, grabbed some lunch and the buffet and realized we had right around 2 hours until the life boat drill. Perfect - just enough time for the little guy to snooze a bit. After the muster drill we went out on the pool deck for the sail away party. Then it was time for dinner and off to AO for the open house/registration. We stayed there until bedtime for the kids and then spent a bit of time on the balcony before retiring ourselves.

The cruise before that, our child was not old enough for AO and I was pregnant. After that first dinner and basically every dinner after that, my daughter and I went to bed. Thank goodness for my husband's sake we were cruising with friends - he had fun at night and I was never so well rested the entire remainder of my pregnancy.

Have a good time myraid. Last time DH kept dragging me around when all I wanted to do was nap. I'm looking forward to nap time with DS. BTW I love my TIVO. LOL I also transfer the recordings to my computer then onto my archos which is like a video ipod and can carry that with me to watch programs.

Once my son is asleep I could unpack while he is sleeping as long as I am real quiet. I couldn't unpack while he is falling asleep though.

Thank you for this thread. We will be cruising with our DS (who will be 15 months) on his first cruise. How do you do the muster drill with an active child that wants to see everything? Do you take a book & a small toy to try to keep their attention? Thanks for any suggestions.

Oh, & add me to the fall asleep early club. :)

Muster Drill is before the boat sails...that's usually around 4pm. They will sound off the ships horns and everyone is suppose to head to their muster station. The part that sucks is that you can't take the elevator...lol. So here you are with 2,000 of your closest friends and a squirmy toddler trying to jump UP the stairs. :rolleyes:

We had different experiences with our young kids during different muster drills. On a few cruises, the crew came up to us and said that one of us could take the child inside. :D

There is honestly so much going on that you won't need anything to keep their attention. Everyone is dressed in funny looking orange vests. They think it's Halloween or something...lol. ;)

Archived