Pentax Optio Z10

miami

Anyone know anything about the Pentax Optio Z10? It's an 8mp with an internal 7X digital zoom.

Actually it a 7x optical zoom with 5.1x digital zoom available (Digital zoom is evil! ;) Read here: http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/VivaLaResolution.htm). It uses the non-extending folded-focus design that Minolta introduced in the Dimage X series back in 2002. That design has been used in a lot of ultra-compacts since and has proven to be a good design, though IMHO 7x is pushing the limits of how much you can cram into that tiny space. It also uses digital image stabilization by increasing ISO and digital correction of the image instead of a mechanical lens or sensor-based method. This can result in a slight loss of image quality, but it shouldn't impact an 8MP image like it used to on a lower resolution camera or camcorder.

8MP is about as much resolution you would want to cram on a tiny sensor, but it is more than enough to produce good images on a compact camera. The folded-focus zoom lens will give up some sharpness in the corners for the convenience of it's compact design (nature of the beast), but I would imagine it will not be very noticeable unless you blow it up to 100% on the monitor or make a huge print.

Reviews are good (some on Amazon) but sparse and not detailed. Since it's only been available for less than 2 months and is capable, but not groundbreaking, it may be a while until a full review is posted.

My 2¢...

Dave

Thanks, Dave... I knew I could count on you. The 7X digital zoom was a typo. I knew it was optical. I never use the digital anyway. It is evil! The reviews (only 3) on Circuit City weren't very good as far as picture quality. Since it's new, I think I'll wait for more reviews.

Right now I have a Canon Elph 5MP which I absolutely love but it's been giving me "change battery pack" messages lately even though the battery is fully charged. Sometimes it doesn't turn on but if I have to take the battery out and put it back in, it will work. So I think I will have to get a new one in the not so distant future.

Thanks, Dave... I knew I could count on you. The 7X digital zoom was a typo. I knew it was optical. I never use the digital anyway. It is evil! The reviews (only 3) on Circuit City weren't very good as far as picture quality. Since it's new, I think I'll wait for more reviews.

Right now I have a Canon Elph 5MP which I absolutely love but it's been giving me "change battery pack" messages lately even though the battery is fully charged. Sometimes it doesn't turn on but if I have to take the battery out and put it back in, it will work. So I think I will have to get a new one in the not so distant future.

You might want to look at the new Elphs. I have an SD800IS and love it. The 870 that replaced it is very new, so you might find a great deal on the last generation while there's still stock.

I did a lot of shopping and I couldn't find anything better in a compact than the Canon SD line. That said, the new Panasonic TZ-3 is worth a look if you need more zoom.

Dave

Thanks, again. I hesitated changing brands since I've had 2 elphs and loved both of them. I think my sister bought the Panasonic you are talking about. She loves it and it takes great pictures. She got some terrific eagle pics in AK but it is a little bigger than I really want. I'll look into the SD800.

Thanks, again. I hesitated changing brands since I've had 2 elphs and loved both of them. I think my sister bought the Panasonic you are talking about. She loves it and it takes great pictures. She got some terrific eagle pics in AK but it is a little bigger than I really want. I'll look into the SD800.

Keep in mind that my recommendation is based on the fact that I have a DSLR for "eagle shots, etc. and carry the SD800 as a 24x7 dinner camera (Wonderful Wife's term. DSLRs don't go with a tux, says she!)

If you need more range than a compact provides, the SD series won't really cut it by itself.

Sometimes the best camera for all situations is two (or three!) cameras!

(Famous quote by...well, me! :D )

Dave

This is my "carry with me everyday" camera. I have a 10x (optical) zoom camera and just picked up a DSLR Nikon for my son that I can borrow if necessary.

That being the case, I think the SD series will serve you well.

FYI, I chose the SD800IS (now the SD870IS) for the 28-105mm equivalent zoom and the image stabilization (fan of the wide angle). The SD700IS (now the SD850IS) has a 35-140mm equivalent.

Dave

Archived