Excursions with Tots?

JennyJenn

I don't know where you are going. But when we sailed with my son when he was 3 we did do mostly beach stops. We played on the beach in St. Maarten and the Bahamas. In St. Thomas we took a tour with Sonny Liston. It was a 2 hour open air bus and we sang silly songs under Sonny's direction the entire time we were touring. Then we shopped for 2 hours and went to a beach for 2 hours. The variety of things was good to keep my son busy.....although he did not enjoy the shopping. lol

We've just done the Mexican Riviera a few times, but beach excursions mostly here too. I've learned to ask a lot of questions though. Once in Cabo we did the beach excursion, and I didn't pay close enough attention to the part where it said "after the bus drops you off, there is a short walk to the beach" - it turned out it was a couple blocks down a steep hill - not fun going back up the hill with toddlers and our beach stuff, plus it wasn't a resort - just a part of the beach blocked off. Then, in Matzatlan, we did one where the "beach" part of the resort was under construction and the access to the beach was difficult, and the resort had no kids pool. I'm a big fan of doing ship's excursions, as the ship is not supposed to leave if you get a flat tire, etc., but at the same time, we've most enjoyed our ports when I find the most kid friendly resort (on the ports of call board or this board) and go on our own.

I always bring a few $1 bills, or a $5, to give to one of the workers to find us a place under an umbrella or cabana so we don't have to worry about too much sun.

My toddlers also enjoyed a "Shopping, show, beach break" in one of the ports - they liked the brief show, and instead of shopping, we just went for a walk. Also, short sightseeing boat excursions if they're large, comfortable and safe.

Best,

Mia

We did a W. Caribbean cruise with a 23 month old -

In Cozumel, we did the Dolphin encounter at Channkanab (sp) and then spent time there at the "little beach". Our second day in Cozumel (we were supposed to go somewhere else, but couldn't dock so the ship went back to Cozumel) we went to a beach club type place.

In Key West (we are experts there - have been there many, many times) we did the Old Town Trolley tour because we were with friends who had never been to the island before. We ate Breakfast with the chickens at Blue Heaven (restaurant). I would also recommend going to the small but nice aquarium and to the butterfly house (at the end of Duval street)

We did a catamaran tour in Barbados with our almost 2 y/o. If the Cat goes in close to the beach, you can bring them in to the beach while everyone else snorkels.

We plan to bring our 1 y/o and 3 y/o on a glass-bottom boat tour in Aruba and a open air railway tour in St. Kitts (my 3 y/o LOVES trains)

Beaches are always a safe bet. I would not spend more than a couple hours there, though. Unless your little one can nap anywhere.

Belize - never been

Key West - all I can suggest is if this is your first cruise with the toddler then AVOID the glass bottom boat tour at Key West. I thought it would be so cool to do this. We go out on the water...they remove the cushions we were sitting on and revealed the "glass bottom" and everyone stood up to see it...I instantly turned green. :( The rocking of the boat combined with the looking down at the bottom brought on such a case of motion sickness. Blech!

Cozumel - stay away from Playa Mia. There are better beaches. Paradise is mentioned as being really nice. And alot of people love Channkanab.

Cozumel - stay away from Playa Mia. There are better beaches. Paradise is mentioned as being really nice. And alot of people love Channkanab.

Really? We went to Playa Mia in 2006 and thought it was fine. Yes, it's busy, but when you're coming from -30 degree weather and 6' of snow, any beach is a good beach.

n890075203_454495_3292.jpg

My son had a great nap :)

Really? We went to Playa Mia in 2006 and thought it was fine. Yes, it's busy, but when you're coming from -30 degree weather and 6' of snow, any beach is a good beach.

n890075203_454495_3292.jpg

That is such a cute picture!!!

I just got back from Cozumel and KW with a 3-and 6-year-old. In KW, we walked over to the aquarium. It's very small and didn't take very long (an hour tops), but they still enjoyed. We've been to better aquariums. We thought that was going to take longer and we didn't know what else to do so we walked around Mallory Square and then saw a sign for the Ripley's museum so we went there. Then we went to lunch at a Cuban restaurant.

In Cozumel, we took a cab to Paradise Beach. Fabulous. We got the wristbands to play with all the water toys. They didn't make us buy one for the 3 yo, so that was nice. We used the floatie mats and the trampolines. The iceberg was out of the water due to wind, but my kids were too little for that anyway.

Awwwww, how cute! Well here's why I think there are better beaches than Playa Mia. Playa Mia has open bar with their excursion prices. So the pool by the bar was packed full with drunk adults. The chairs are all smooshed together (like you can see in your picture) in a very small area.

Now, don't get me wrong. ANY beach is great when you are coming from 30 degree weather. But there are better beaches in Cozumel than PLaya Mia. ;)

Awwwww, how cute! Well here's why I think there are better beaches than Playa Mia. Playa Mia has open bar with their excursion prices. So the pool by the bar was packed full with drunk adults. The chairs are all smooshed together (like you can see in your picture) in a very small area.

Now, don't get me wrong. ANY beach is great when you are coming from 30 degree weather. But there are better beaches in Cozumel than PLaya Mia. ;)

There was a pool?? Totally missed that. We also missed the petting zoo; found out about that on their website after we got home.

Oh, and that's MINUS 30 weather. I'd be happy if it were plus 30 F today. Current temperature is -13 F with the wind chill.

On our last cruise my DH and I left DD onboard and went to Belize for a quick bus tour and then back to ship. However, I would stay away from the bus tour with or without children - very long, very hot, (no A/C), and not very interesting. From what I remember, Belize was good if you wanted to do an adventure type excursion, but it was a tender port and not much right along the shore except for shops, etc. Our friends went on jungle tour, etc., that was amazing - but I am not sure if kid appropriate...

For that matter, I would stay away from any and all bus tours - we also went on one in Puerto Vallarta. Again, it was very hot and long, and our DD got sick and threw up on DH, and we had to stay on bus until we got back to our resort. It was a horrible experience.

Key West - we took the train and went into town and just wandered around. Went to lunch, shopped, etc. It is a nice town to walk around. There is a Flying Monkeys daquiri bar that has a misting station if you need to refresh:) (It is an outside bar, right on the sidewalk, so you don't have to actually take your children in a "bar" just take turns grabbing a drink if you enjoy that sort of thing).

Hope that helps - most of all, just go with the flow and have fun!

thank you everyone for your great suggestions! I think we will plan to stay on the ship at Belize, and do either Paradise Beach or El Cid in Cozumel. For those of you that traveled with tots...what did you do about car seats?

And in Key West--my Dad has offered to watch DD so DH and I can go by ourselves....

There was a pool?? Totally missed that. We also missed the petting zoo; found out about that on their website after we got home.

Oh, and that's MINUS 30 weather. I'd be happy if it were plus 30 F today. Current temperature is -13 F with the wind chill.

HAHAHAHAHA! Maybe they just built it this year? You had to walk past the pool to get to wear you were laying in your picture. I don't think you could have missed it. :D

JennyJenn - There are a few recent carseat threads around. I use a travel Eddie Bauer one. It folds flat in a suitcase. But I don't know where your location is (those in Canada cannot order one)

Key West the ships Port right in town. One port is right there in Mallory square and the other is only a couple blocks away if that. It's easy to get on and off the boat so if you want some alone time that's fine, but also it's easy to get back one grab the little one and bring them ashore as well. I couldn't imagine not bringing mine to Key West because he would be so fascinated by everything besides the fact that he likes to walk so much.

My Favorite Key Lime Pie place is Kermits. It's at Elizabeth and Green. Just Take Duval to Greene and head away from the ships. There is a statue of a guy throwing a pie out front. If you take the trolley tour then somebody that looks like the statue will actually threaten to throw a pie at the trolley. It's only about a 3 block walk and they do sell by the slice and oh is it worth it. The right amount of tart and the right amount of sweet.

I also like the Hemingway house tour. You can also tour the Little White House (not for little kids takes a while and to much no touching). That one is on Whitehead to Front Street but you will see signs. It is a fascinating tour.

Been reading so much on this site and am so thankful to have found it. We leave next Sunday on the Legend 7 night W. Caribbean. Itenerary includes Caymans, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. We have our DS--just turned 2. Have put off planning shore excursions with DS, am uncertain how he will do. Thought about Turtle Park in Caymans--maybe with Stingray City although have read mixed reviews. Cozumel--was planning on Dolphin Excursion but its only in the afternoon and I wonder if its worth him missing a nap and being difficult the rest of the day. Any ideas on Belize or Roatan? Maybe we'll just beach it. Would love any feedback or thoughts. Thanks-

PS. This is our first cruise for everyone!

Been reading so much on this site and am so thankful to have found it. We leave next Sunday on the Legend 7 night W. Caribbean. Itenerary includes Caymans, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. We have our DS--just turned 2. Have put off planning shore excursions with DS, am uncertain how he will do. Thought about Turtle Park in Caymans--maybe with Stingray City although have read mixed reviews. Cozumel--was planning on Dolphin Excursion but its only in the afternoon and I wonder if its worth him missing a nap and being difficult the rest of the day. Any ideas on Belize or Roatan? Maybe we'll just beach it. Would love any feedback or thoughts. Thanks-

PS. This is our first cruise for everyone!

In Cozumel you can take a cab and go to chankanaab on your own and do the dolphin excursion on your own. If you go to the excursion talk they will tell you about the cabs in Cozumel or talk to them at the excursion desk but there is a sign at the port. If there is no cab waiting to bring you back to the port they will call one for you. Also great little beach to walk around and they have a little trail to walk through. I know my 2 year old would love it.

we're going to Nassua - Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Maarten in March with a 2 y.o. - any suggestions for those stops?

My brain is so not working either St. Maarten or St. Thomas has a zoo

OK looked up my bookmarks

St. Maarten has the zoo and we went by cab: http://sxmzoo.networkidl.net/

St. Thomas has Coral World and also went there by cab: http://www.coralworldvi.com/

we're going to Nassua - Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Maarten in March with a 2 y.o. - any suggestions for those stops?

That's easy. ;)

Nassau - Atlantis Paradise Island or the Dolphin Encounter

St. Thomas - Coral World

St. Maarten - a beach stop. Orient Beach is less family friendly (because of the clothing optional areas of the beach). Divi Beach is suppose to be more family friendly.

We love those 3 ports. :D

We have taken our daughter to the Belize Zoo twice at age 2 & age 3, she loved it both times. There are some great opportunities to get really close to some very cool animals. My DD is a big Dora fan so she knew all the animals we got to see.

Thanks! Did you go on an excursion through the cruise ship to Atlantis or just go by yourselves?

I book a room at Atlantis in advance. There are alot of tips on how to do this (for the best price) on the Bahamas Port of Call board. When you book a room, you have access to all of the facilities at Atlantis AND a place to shower/change and nap (if the toddler needs one)

Atlantis has MANY kid pool areas with slides. My youngest was 2 the first time we took her and 3 the next. If your 2 year old loves water...then this is the place to go. If your 2 year old is intimidated by water, then you might want to save your money and go to a beach. The 2nd time we went we took a family who had a 6 and 7 year old. They clung to their mom for dear life the entire time. They just weren't comfortable in the water. My kids are fishes, so they love Atlantis.

To get to Atlantis is VERY simple...you don't need a cruise excursion. When you step off the ship there are 2 very easy options...the water taxi for $3/per person (I don't recomend this one because they pack those boats full with no regard to safety) and the 2nd is a regular taxi ($4 per person) and they will deliver you right to the front door.

Archived