Infants at adult prices???

Dsnyluvr

Jillyfish - The kids can wear the fecal tea bags in the "BabyZone" on Liberty. You just happen to be going on one of the RCCL ships that offer that...lol. ;)

To the OP - there are 3 cruiselines (possibly 4) that offer discounted children rates. Disney, NCL and Costa.

On NCL you pay just port fees/taxes for Under 2's.

Costa has certain ships sailing that allow children that age to sail for free but Costa also has a VERY liberal smoking policy so many complain that the ships are very smoky.

Disney - the price you pay for the 1st and 2nd person in the cabin will MORE THAN make up for the "discount" you get for the baby. Take it from me - our youngest was 8 months old on Disney Magic...cost of the cruise for a fam of 4 was $5800 for a Cat 6 Verandah (not a suite)...incidentally that is the same exact price we paid for our Grand Suite on Freedom and we got alot more perks for the money. So yes, Disney discounts kids but they don't discount adults. ;)

That's good to know. It'll help with my sister's sticker shock.

Wait until you ALL see the prices for the excursions in Alaska:eek: Talk about sticker shock. One excursion cost more for the 4 of us then I usually spend for excursions for the whole cruise. Though once I saw the look of awe on both my teenager's faces while we were on the tour, it was worth every penny.

Wait until you ALL see the prices for the excursions in Alaska:eek: Talk about sticker shock. One excursion cost more for the 4 of us then I usually spend for excursions for the whole cruise. Though once I saw the look of awe on both my teenager's faces while we were on the tour, it was worth every penny.

You aren't kidding! Out of curiosity the one day I started looking at the prices for the dog sled excursions (something my kids have always wanted to do) Holy Moly! :eek: I wanted to get pulled by some dogs not buy the sled...lol. ;)

You aren't kidding! Out of curiosity the one day I started looking at the prices for the dog sled excursions (something my kids have always wanted to do) Holy Moly! :eek: I wanted to get pulled by some dogs not buy the sled...lol. ;)

If you are taking them be warned that is the most canceled excursion in Alaska because it is on a fixed location on the glacier and it's location in Juneau was very fog prone. We did just the plain helicopter to the glacier and our day was a little iffy in the morning (dog sled was canceled) but the pilot told us they can move their landing location if needed because of the weather.

Jillyfish - The kids can wear the fecal tea bags in the "BabyZone" on Liberty. You just happen to be going on one of the RCCL ships that offer that...lol. ;)

;)

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! Where IS the "babyzone" ? :confused: Not going near it!!!!

So, H2Ozone is safe ?!?!?!?!

Those swimmer things are the worse things invented!!

I thought she would be too young for the kids' club, and the only extra mess I could think of would be more diapers in the trash.

I could also understand if she was in her own room (regarding the "she's taking up room that another paying passenger would have), but she's in her parents' room and they surely wouldn't put a stranger in their room with them.

We took our daughter when she was 11 months and had to pay the 3rd person rate for her....

My daughter wants to do this. I thought the helicopter flight would be the worst of it. Now I'll have to prepare myself for the cost - actually, I'll have to prepare the DH for the cost.

Maybe I can bring huskies from home and make a sled. ;)

My daughter wants to do this. I thought the helicopter flight would be the worst of it. Now I'll have to prepare myself for the cost - actually, I'll have to prepare the DH for the cost.

You helicopter to the dog sled camp. I think it was 490$ per person, or around there.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! Where IS the "babyzone" ? :confused: Not going near it!!!!

So, H2Ozone is safe ?!?!?!?!

Those swimmer things are the worse things invented!!

The childrens spash zone in IN the H20 zone. But it is a corner and the water from there does not mix with the rest of the water in the H20 zone.

You helicopter to the dog sled camp. I think it was 400+$ per person, don't remember exactly. The one I did was 290$ per person. Seems like a bargain. Also if you go to the dog sled you see snow not all the blues and colors you see on the lower part of the glacier like this

IMG_2801.jpg

Well for almost $1500 for your family of 3, you could buy your own dog sled team. ;) :eek:

I'll have to tell my daughter that I will buy her a husky..lol.

You helicopter to the dog sled camp. I think it was 400+$ per person, don't remember exactly. The one I did was 290$ per person. Seems like a bargain. Also if you go to the dog sled you see snow not all the blues and colors you see on the lower part of the glacier like this

IMG_2801.jpg

This is an AWESOME picture!

Well for almost $1500 for your family of 3, you could buy your own dog sled team. ;) :eek:

I'll have to tell my daughter that I will buy her a husky..lol.

I would love to, but DH already thinks that 3 dogs and 5 teenagers is enough.

Do you know if there is a Baby Zone on Radiance of the Seas?

Also if you go to the dog sled you see snow not all the blues and colors you see on the lower part of the glacier like this

Not true. To get to the camp we flew over Mendenhall Glacier and saw the many colors and the ridges and such. If you do dogsledding, it pretty much includes flightseeing!

Yes, once you land, you only see snow. It was a very fun excursion. I would do it again, even tho it is expensive. Of course, I'm not paying for a family, just 2 of us.

I would love to, but DH already thinks that 3 dogs and 5 teenagers is enough.

Do you know if there is a Baby Zone on Radiance of the Seas?

Yeah we have 4 dogs and 2 kids. God bless you with FIVE teenagers. :eek:

And Wrona already answered the part about the Baby Zone. They have only built them on the Freedom Class ships (Freedom/Liberty/Independence) :)

My niece will be less than 2 when we go on our cruise. Does we really have to pay full price for her? That's what the TA said. Is there a reason beyond the company being money grubbing?

Since RCL is a profit making organization........money grubbing is a reasonable reason (especially to RCL stockholders like me....:)). Other than food.......the infant will take up the same space an adult will.......a bed in the cabin and a chair at the tables...;)

Well, I guess if Disney went to Alaska, that would be the line for us.

Katiel53 - thanks so much for that helpful response. It really enlightened the reasons for me! Any more helpful tips you can give me?

Everyone else - thanks so much for the info. Let me rephrase my question. Are there any benefits that I'm not aware of for a two-year-old that would warrant that price? As far as I know, she can't join the kids' club, she won't eat that much at dinner, she won't enjoy any shows. Do they offer anything for the less than 2 crowd?

I've only read to here, so please forgive me if this has been answered.

The fare really has little to do with the kids club or food, food allowance is only around $12 per person, just a small part of the fare. The kids club will be in operation no matter if there are 5, 10 or 20 kids in attendance, so that's not it. The real fact is that the child is a passenger and the Coast Guard only allows X amount of passengers on the vessel, regardless of their sleeping arrangements. So, every passenger must pay.

That a couple of cruise lines allow a discount for younger children is their own business decision, most do not. That is the bottom line, not every business has to give a discount for children.

People do get used to paying less for kids in so many areas though, so I don't blame you for questioning it, this question comes up quite frequently.

Have a lovely Alaska cruise, it has been one of our very favorites :)

My niece will be less than 2 when we go on our cruise. Does we really have to pay full price for her? That's what the TA said. Is there a reason beyond the company being money grubbing?
There's lots of cruise competition and it has nothing to do with money grubbing but market/pricing strategy. Disney discounts young kids and makes up for it by charging more for adults and older childern because for their market that kind of pricing stategy works better. RCI charges less for adults and everyone, regardless of age, pays the same discounted 3rd person fee because that works better for them.

Archived