Contemplating Valor Feb 2009, Or Perhaps Royal Carr. Questions ....

Cruise Mermaid

Hi! Long time no posts for me, it's been dry dock for my family since 2003 and we are itching to book another cruise so we were thinking of February 2009 and we were thinking the Valor (East.Carr) and I got a price for a balcony guarantee for about $2500 (for 2 adults 2 children) - and I thought that was a fabulous price!

Now the questions - I'm sorta rusty on my 'Carnival' ships. I can't remember is the Valor like the Spirit class? Or Conquest class ? Can anyone give me some info on the ship ?

Also, we were 'contemplating' doing a first royal carribean cruise - and I know I'm on the wrong boards for that ... but does anyone have any thoughts to that ?

Also, in re the 'balcony guarantee' vs. picking a cabin. I would 'hope' that we get on the 'port' side (of course I know I'd need to book an actual room to guarantee that) - and is there any advantage to doing the guarantee ? (i.e., the dream of getting upgraded to a suite ... ) DREAM ON I'm sure !!!

While we've stayed in the suites before and loved them, I'm not going to pay the extra money this go around ..... but I can't live without a balcony either! HA !!

Anyhoos - any help and insight anyone can provide would be great ! Thanks in advance !!! :)

Hi! Long time no posts for me, it's been dry dock for my family since 2003 and we are itching to book another cruise so we were thinking of February 2009 and we were thinking the Valor (East.Carr) and I got a price for a balcony guarantee for about $2500 (for 2 adults 2 children) - and I thought that was a fabulous price!

Now the questions - I'm sorta rusty on my 'Carnival' ships. I can't remember is the Valor like the Spirit class? Or Conquest class ? Can anyone give me some info on the ship ?

Also, we were 'contemplating' doing a first royal carribean cruise - and I know I'm on the wrong boards for that ... but does anyone have any thoughts to that ?

Also, in re the 'balcony guarantee' vs. picking a cabin. I would 'hope' that we get on the 'port' side (of course I know I'd need to book an actual room to guarantee that) - and is there any advantage to doing the guarantee ? (i.e., the dream of getting upgraded to a suite ... ) DREAM ON I'm sure !!!

While we've stayed in the suites before and loved them, I'm not going to pay the extra money this go around ..... but I can't live without a balcony either! HA !!

Anyhoos - any help and insight anyone can provide would be great ! Thanks in advance !!! :)

:rolleyes: If you do a Voyager Class sailing with Royal Caribbean, I don't think you will come back to Carnival. I can say that because, I just got off a Carnival cruise and I'm going back to Royal.:D

:rolleyes: If you do a Voyager Class sailing with Royal Caribbean, I don't think you will come back to Carnival. I can say that because, I just got off a Carnival cruise and I'm going back to Royal.:D

Please tell me why you say that, I'm contemplating taking my family (me, DH, 3DD's, 1 SIL, 2 grandchildren) on a cruise and I am considering Carnival out of Galveston or New Orleans. Don't want to pay to fly everybody to Miami, and can't afford to take everybody on the Voyager 7 day out of Galveston. What happened on your Carnival cruise that makes you want to go back to RCCL. I've only sailed RCCL but thought Carnival would be good for the "family".

Please tell me why you say that' date=' I'm contemplating taking my family (me, DH, 3DD's, 1 SIL, 2 grandchildren) on a cruise and I am considering Carnival out of Galveston or New Orleans. Don't want to pay to fly everybody to Miami, and can't afford to take everybody on the Voyager 7 day out of Galveston. What happened on your Carnival cruise that makes you want to go back to RCCL. I've only sailed RCCL but thought Carnival would be good for the "family".[/b']

:rolleyes: 1002 kids on board, with about 10% of them just out of control. Most of the time, they had the elevators tied up playing on them, never could even get in the hot tubs. They were always full of kids or closed. The food was ok but, I think Royals is better. It was like more of a party boat, then a cruise.

:rolleyes: 1002 kids on board, with about 10% of them just out of control. Most of the time, they had the elevators tied up playing on them, never could even get in the hot tubs. They were always full of kids or closed. The food was ok but, I think Royals is better. It was like more of a party boat, then a cruise.

You went the week of Thanksgiving so of course it would be filled with kids.

I've been on 2 Carnival cruises and never found it to be a party boat. I certainly would have noticed something like that.

You went the week of Thanksgiving so of course it would be filled with kids.

I've been on 2 Carnival cruises and never found it to be a party boat. I certainly would have noticed something like that.

:eek: Sandi....you weren't on this ship, were you. It was a party boat and alot of kids just doing what they feel like doing, with alot of doors being banged on at night and running down the hallways late at night.

We cruised on the Voyager of the Seas (RCCL) during spring break a couple years ago - only because the price was reasonable...

anyway, did not find anything special about it and came right back to Carnival.

Found the food and shows much better on Carnival.

Just my opinion.....

:eek: Sandi....you weren't on this ship, were you. It was a party boat and alot of kids just doing what they feel like doing, with alot of doors being banged on at night and running down the hallways late at night.

No I wasn't on that ship but just because you experienced that, doesn't mean the OP will. What you described can happen on any cruise line. RCCL is also a family oriented line. I plan on trying them in the future and if I have the experience that you described on the Triumph, does that mean that ALL of RCCL is bad?? No it does not.

Please tell me why you say that' date=' I'm contemplating taking my family (me, DH, 3DD's, 1 SIL, 2 grandchildren) on a cruise and I am considering Carnival out of Galveston or New Orleans. Don't want to pay to fly everybody to Miami, and can't afford to take everybody on the Voyager 7 day out of Galveston. What happened on your Carnival cruise that makes you want to go back to RCCL. I've only sailed RCCL but thought Carnival would be good for the "family".[/b']

It depends on when you are sailing. Carnival does NOT have a curfew for kids. Rccl DOES.

Carnival young children camp programs are very good. rccl's are nearly as good, but not quite. However rccl has way more for older kids to do.

Once your kid is 12, go rccl on a voyager class ship or freedom class.

My kids always enjoyed carnival, but then as teenagers they didn't like rccl's rule of nobody under 18 out and about after 1am. However, my oldest was in heaven when rccl used to let us sign the waiver to drink beer between 18-20. Now they don't do that anymore.

food is similar. We like things on both lines. I'd say the edge goes to carnival in the dining room if you eat beef. And my kids swear carnival's pizza is much better than rccl's. I couldn't tell you. I never ate the pizza on rccl and I wasn't impressed with carnivals. I also like that espresso is free in the dining room on carnival as their coffee is horrendous, but the espresso is good.

We like both, and it's a toss up for us between the two lines. We are sailing in a few week on the valor and next year doing a 12 day on explorer. Both cruises are just me and my husband.

My boys are going over the summer on ncl with their friends. All will be over 21, so they have been planning planning planning. ncl fits them best because of the freedom dining. And at ages 21-24 they want to not have to fit a schedule.

to the OP,

we never do a guarantee. I would be miserable if my cabin was someplace I didn't want it to be. Like over the disco...lol Pay the extra money and pick your cabin.

We sailed RCCL Mariner of the Seas in May (2007), sailed CCL Triumph three weeks ago and we won't go back to RCCL. Even though the ship showed a little wear and tear, service, food, entertainment was sooooo much better than RCCL.

Seriously though, I just do not understand why ppl think RCCL is so great. That was the worst cruise I've ever been on. I couldn't wait to get off that ship!!!

We sailed RCCL Mariner of the Seas in May (2007), sailed CCL Triumph three weeks ago and we won't go back to RCCL. Even though the ship showed a little wear and tear, service, food, entertainment was sooooo much better than RCCL.

Seriously though, I just do not understand why ppl think RCCL is so great. That was the worst cruise I've ever been on. I couldn't wait to get off that ship!!!

You made a decision not to sail RCCL again after sailing on 1 of their ships:confused: Not sure how anyone can judge a whole cruise line by one ship.

If I did that I would never sail Carnival again.....

We happily sail both Carnival and RCI...although truthfully I prefer RCI's newest to anything Carnival has to offer. We went on Liberty of the Seas (Freedom Class, gigantic) this past summer and were simply wow-ed... blows anything Carnival has to offer out the window (price issues aside). If you're looking for a standard eastern or western out of Miami I highly suggest trying either Freedom of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas. Obviously if $ is a major issue and Carnival is significantly cheaper, then go Carnival.

I disagree, however, that moving over to RCI greatly dissuades or otherwise prevents us from coming back to Carnival. While we first checked out Liberty/Freedom of the Seas and the newer Voyager Class Ships (Navigator/Mariner of the Seas) for our upcoming New Years cruise, we happily booked Carnival Liberty when it was the cruise with availability at this late juncture that best fit our bizarre scheduling constraints.

In terms of things I personally feel Carnival does better than RCI (after all, this is a Carnival board)... I like the food on Carnival a little better, as well as the more festive dining room atmosphere. RCI doesn't have 24/hr pizza (they close anywhere from 1-4am depending on ship, if you're up that late and that's an issue for you). And, with the exception of Freedom/Liberty of the Seas, the dance clubs on Carnival blow those on RCI out of the water in terms of technology (although I prefer the decor/design on all of the Voyager Class ships to the Carnival ships I've sailed on).

You made a decision not to sail RCCL again after sailing on 1 of their ships:confused: Not sure how anyone can judge a whole cruise line by one ship.

If I did that I would never sail Carnival again.....

You obviously like RCCL. I do not. Perhaps if I had one small issue on my RCCL cruise it could be easily overlooked. However, I had several issues/problems on this cruise. Therefore, I choose not to sail RCCL.

One example would be I have cancer and finished radiation treatment a few days before the cruise. I requested early dining from day one and RCCL would not switch me. I missed several evenings in the dining room because I was unable to make the 8:30 dining time they assigned me. RCCL response to my request for earlier dining? Get a doctor's note and MAYBE they will switch you to earlier dining. Again, that is just one example.

I read the posts and a lot of people LOVE RCCL. But I am being honest when I say I really don't understand why ppl think it is so wonderful. It was NOT a good cruise. Maybe someday (years) down the road, I will forget how much I didn't like it and I'll give it another try. But not for awhile.

CruiseMermaid,

The Valor is a Conquest class ship not a Spirit class. I found this ship to be the prettiest that we had ever been on and the CD and social hosts were the absolute best. I have never sailed RCCL so can not comment on their ships. From all my research though if the ship and it's decor is important to you, I understand RCCL ships have Carnival beat all the way.

You obviously like RCCL. I do not. Perhaps if I had one small issue on my RCCL cruise it could be easily overlooked. However, I had several issues/problems on this cruise. Therefore, I choose not to sail RCCL.

One example would be I have cancer and finished radiation treatment a few days before the cruise. I requested early dining from day one and RCCL would not switch me. I missed several evenings in the dining room because I was unable to make the 8:30 dining time they assigned me. RCCL response to my request for earlier dining? Get a doctor's note and MAYBE they will switch you to earlier dining. Again, that is just one example.

I read the posts and a lot of people LOVE RCCL. But I am being honest when I say I really don't understand why ppl think it is so wonderful. It was NOT a good cruise. Maybe someday (years) down the road, I will forget how much I didn't like it and I'll give it another try. But not for awhile.

I'm not partial to any cruise line. So far I have found that every ship is different regardless of the cruise line. Each ship is run by different Captains,crew, hotel managers, kitchen managers etc. You can sail on a great ship in the Carnival fleet and the next Carnival ship will be a whole different experience...trust me I know.

Sorry about your RCCL experience. Here is a Carnival review. Just goes to show you things can go wrong on any cruise line.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=663932

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience, that's awful. Did you ever write to RCI regarding how the dining room management treated you? Treating people like that is not their company policy.

I cannot comment on RCCL because I have not traveled on their ships. I can tell you I thoroughly enjoyed my western Caribbean cruise on the Valor last January. So much so that we are booked on the Eastern cruise this January. This was my first cruise so my sample set is very limited. I have read many reviews on this ship. It astounds me what people will complain about. I cannot/will not let the decor of the ship ruin a perfectly good cruise. Carnival is known to be one of the least expensive companies to cruise with. The "Wal-Mart" of cruise lines so to speak. You cannot expect the same amount of quality/service that you would get on a luxury cruise. My comment to those that expect luxury on a Carnival Cruise..... Pull your wallet out, kill the moths coming out of it, pull out some more money and book a more expensive cruise, you CHEAPO! The experience is what you make of it. Don't sweat the small stuff. You can usually work out problems if you approach the staff with respect and courtesy. In return they will usually do the same. I am not a shill for Carnival. I am a realist.

With that being said. I loved the Valor and if you decide to sail it, I hope you enjoy it.

Here we go again! Every time someone dares to mention cruising on Carnival or RCI, the same old arguments appear.

To the OP: I think you'd probably be better off just deciding which ports you'd prefer to visit, which cabins are within your budget, and go to webshots and search for the various ships. Read some of the reviews both here on this board and under the "reviews" link at the top of the page (it seems like a lot of people post reviews on that main board who haven't been CC posters here).

Every person is going to have a different response about every ship and every cruise. Getting 100 different opinions from 100 different people doesn't really help me make a decision! :eek:

But then, I don't make decisions easily. I started with about 12 cruises back last April and took two months debating before I whittled it down to 5, then another couple of weeks before I decided on Miracle.

And that was BEFORE I found CC and saw the wide range of views about everything! :p

I'm not partial to any cruise line. So far I have found that every ship is different regardless of the cruise line. Each ship is run by different Captains,crew, hotel managers, kitchen managers etc. You can sail on a great ship in the Carnival fleet and the next Carnival ship will be a whole different experience...trust me I know.

Sorry about your RCCL experience. Here is a Carnival review. Just goes to show you things can go wrong on any cruise line.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=663932

I have been on five Carnival cruises (Holiday, 2x on Triumph, once on Miracle and once on Glory), one RCCL and one NCL. I love Carnival, I enjoyed NCL very much (and would not hestitate to sail NCL again), but I did not enjoy RCCL. I agree any cruise line can be a bad experience. Like I said before, maybe someday I will try RCCL again. But I am not in any hurry.

Well, I'm glad you got off then. What ever makes you happy, do it!!:D

We cruised on the Voyager of the Seas (RCCL) during spring break a couple years ago - only because the price was reasonable...

anyway, did not find anything special about it and came right back to Carnival.

Found the food and shows much better on Carnival.

Just my opinion.....

Ditto here. We were on Navigator this past February (nothing to do with price though; we just wanted to try something different). When it came time to book our next cruise, the group got together and we are back on Carnival. My kids were thrilled with that too (12 and 15).

The Valor was our best cruise yet (we did western carib).

Archived