7.4 earthquake hits the Caribbean.

Amlee

YIKES!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22028073/

ROSEAU, Dominica - A powerful earthquake rocked the eastern Caribbean on Thursday, sending office workers and shoppers on several islands fleeing into the streets. There were no immediate reports of injuries.

The earthquake which struck at 2 p.m. ET, with a magnitude of 7.4, was centered 26 miles southeast of Roseau, the capital of Dominica, where the shaking lasted for about 20 seconds.

The quake was felt hundreds of miles away in Puerto Rico to the west, and Venezuela and Suriname to the south.

The news is reporting one British tourist died. I cruise in less than a week and one of the islands I am going to, Barbados was hit. It will be interesting to see the damage if any because I work fo a provincial disaster response agency in Canada.

I also wondered if any of the ships felt it. I was just off the coast of St. Lucia when the one hit just South of Jamica last year. We were porting when my mother called to see if we had felt it. We didn't. But it was a much smaller quake than the one yesterday.

Archived