Hurricane Ivan Information

CruiseFever

[quote name='Murphey']WeBeGone: Yes, please do take this one seriously!!! We want you to be safe for your Nov cruise!!!! How secure will your home be???[/QUOTE]
We live in a large fifth wheel that is hurricane strapped into the ground and 4 feet of concrete. I think that unless the wind rips off the skin, it won't be damaged but you never can tell. Our property is well protected and on a canal instead of open water but even for Frances the canal rose 2 feet above normal. We are still waffeling over whether to go or stay (DH says stay, I say go) but know that within 24 hours we'll have to make a decision and then stick to it. Key West is a mess already with long lines at all gas pumps, grocery stores packed, and the highway already bumper to bumper. The big yachts that had come down to escape Frances are pulling out now. (I work at the waterfront in the Key West Ferry Terminal where they are docked and can see the exodus out the window.) Our agency is closing at 4 today and will be closed at least until Tuesday. Don't worry though Murphey, nothing can keep me off the Star in November!!

Please be smart and safe!!A mobile, rv doesn't stand a chance in the winds of Ivan!!The cement may hold it there, but the body of t will be gone!! This one is nothing to fool with. In Granada it took cbs houses,and tore them into cement rubble. Please don't make the wrong choice!! Our prayers are withh you!! Good luck!!

I[COLOR=Purple] feel so bad for one of my co-workers. She has four sisters, two brothers, and 15 cousins living in Jamaica. She just got off the phone with her oldest sister who was in tears. She said she has never been more scared in all her life.
There is nothing in between Ivan and Jamaica to slow him down. I would be freaking, they have nowhere to go (at least they have basements though) I guess they'll be the safest there.

I wish they would stop with these maps already, just tell us "we don't know the exact path, take precautions, and we'll let you know 2 days prior."
That's usually when they DO know. First it's not in Florida at all, then it's up the middle, now it's more towards Naples...this is so friggin stressful.......:([/COLOR]

Ok Sue, Murphey, Salty Dawg et al - you win, we're outta here. They've just issued a mandatory evacuation for everyone in the Keys. Once they do that our insurance is null and void so that convinced DH to listen to me (oh how sweet!). Sooo, I'm leaving work and within a couple of hours we'll be dragging our house behind us up to Avon Park (in Central FL near Sebring) where I have an aunt who lives in a real house. I'm signing off now and will be in touch on the flip side. Stay safe everyone.

[quote name='spongerob']This one looks the scariest of the three! I can't imagine what I'd be doing if I lived in Florida.[/QUOTE]

Spongerob---I live in Sarasota Fl and yes we are sitting waiting for another storm. I found it interesting that you live in Edmond. My aunt lives there and my cousin in OKLA city. We are sailing the Miracle on 12/5/2004 and we will be happy when that date arrives. Right now we have to deal with Ivan.

just to let everyone know Continental is now waiving fees for travel here due to Ivan:

Continental is providing the option to reschedule or reroute your travel once, without a penalty, if you are ticketed to/from/through one of the cities listed below for travel through Tuesday, September 14, 2004. Travel must be completed by November 15, 2004. Please contact Continental reservations for assistance:
Aguadilla, PR (BQN)
Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda (ANU)
Aruba (AUA)
Bridgetown, Barbados (BGI)
Caracas, Venezuela (CCS)
Cat Island, Bahamas (TBI)
Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
Fort Myers, FL (RSW)
Freeport, Bahamas (FPO)
Governor's Harbour, Bahamas (GHB)
Key West, FL (EYW)
Kingston, Jamaica (KIN)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ)
Nassau, Bahamas (NAS)
North Eleuthera, Bahamas (ELH)
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago (POS)
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (POP)
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (PUJ)
St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles (SXM)
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (STT)
San Juan, PR (SJU)
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)
Tampa, FL (TPA)
Treasure Cay, Bahamas (TCB)
Note: This information is subject to change

[quote name='WeBeGone']Ok Sue, Murphey, Salty Dawg et al - you win, we're outta here. They've just issued a mandatory evacuation for everyone in the Keys. Once they do that our insurance is null and void so that convinced DH to listen to me (oh how sweet!). Sooo, I'm leaving work and within a couple of hours we'll be dragging our house behind us up to Avon Park (in Central FL near Sebring) where I have an aunt who lives in a real house. I'm signing off now and will be in touch on the flip side. Stay safe everyone.[/QUOTE]

We live in Sarasot and usually evacuate to Orlando, but Ivan is due to hit Lake County also where our daughter lives, near Orlando.

Sue,

I do not care for the location of Ivan in the link you posted.:eek: Please call the weather people and get that thing out of my back yard immediately!

I can only say that when the going gets tough, the tough get going...out of town and away from that MONSTER! :D

The Monk

Hi- My executive director asked me today if I was ready for Round 3-Ivan.He's telling Staff to get plenty of rest between now and next week. If our facility is used as a shelter for employee families, the children will be relegated to a smaller room on the 2nd floor with a strict schedule. I was told today by the Personnel Director to check my activities for that room for Monday and Tuesday in case it will be used.

The good news is that if Ivan does hit us, my cruise will be at the end of next week. I just saw that our ship, Caribbean Princess, bound for the Eastern Caribbean will stop in Nassau on the way back instead of Princess Cays. I'm glad that the folks on the Western Itinerary got to see Jamaica and Grand Cayman before Ivan hits them!!

That's it for now. I may check back in later!! Lynne

Archived