Hurricane Ivan Information

CruiseFever

I just heard on the news that Ivan may be a Cat 5 (155 MPH+) when it hits Jamaica. It is now strengthened to 150 and is still a ways out. The hurricane will also be going through the Cayman Islands (not much said about that, but true). The center may pass over one of the other Caymans', not Grand Cayman.

I was born (51 yrs ago) in Central Florida, and have never left here. My family has been in FL going back further than I can trace (my Great-Great Grandparents were born here, and we may go further than that). I may be the first to leave FL, if this hurricane mess keeps it up. We are expecting extreme increases in insurance premiums, possible increases in property taxes (because some of the taxible real estate is getting destroyed), and no telling what else. 3 hits in a month is getting over the edge for me. It's not fun sitting around worrying if you will have a house to live in a week from now. For those of us in FL who are 100% in touch with the reality of hurricanes, this is scary business. All the forecasters seem sure that the storm will enter the Gulf of Mexico, so somebody, somewhere is going to get it.

We were 25 miles from Charley and had 60MPH winds. That wasn't fun. Hurricane Frances passed over us, but had fizzled out to a minimal Cat 1 at that time. I really don't want to be around if a Cat 3 passes over.

Let's all hope and pray that Ivan gives us a break.

Ken

Hi
I didn't watch Ivan's path all day and saw at 6PM on the News that the track has it west of Florida going up the Coast. DH isn't going to get excited until it's up to the Keys as he says no one knows for sure until 24 or less hours before what direction it's going to take ,ie,Charley.If it's close enough to the Coast the interior counties will get wind again and rain, but he believes we'll never get hit worse than Charley.
At work, there is a Hurricane Planning Meeting on Sunday I've been told, to make decisions on what to do with residents and evacuees should the storm hit close to here again. Although the adrenalin is flowing (when has it stopped?) we are getting weary of sitting and waiting to see where Ivan will go.Getting supplies is second nature, but the anxiety becomes very taxing and tiring.
My parents' winter home is in Englewood, so if it comes in near there it could be a problem, although Charley missed them by about 5 miles-Englewood was on the South Side and it hit Boca Grande. Is it scheduled to land in the same area? Lynne

Ken:

You are right.........the 10pm advisory is now out and winds are 150mph with gusts to 185.........expect Category 5 conditions sometime in the next 24-36 hours but they also expect a gradual decrease in intensity due to expected shear upon entering the Gulf.........what gradual decrease in intensity means is anyone's guess.........but it is still going to be a major event when it hits the keys..........

I guess we all just have to keep glued to the reports so we know what's going on . Thanks Sue for the suggestion, I actually passed it along to my husband and it's now one of our game plans. I'll pack the car in the am after clearing off the lanai as he's boarding up the windows. We'll just play minute by minute after that.
My son's at the benefit concert at Germain Arena right now. They've raised $70,000. It was to benefit Charley, but now it's Charley, Francis, and Ivan all rolled into one.

Well Sue,.
you are in a high risk area. I have no doubt you will come through this alive and well. The aftermath is the problem. Please, Please prepare for that end of it. I don't mean to sound dramatic,,,,,you know what has to be done.
Geez, I am saying all this and feel like I am talking the end of the earth which it certainly is not. Florida will survive and grow even stronger.

Hi all, I am in Polk County Florida, and even though we are inland, we have found out lately how much a hurricane can do. This is really getting to be stressful for alot of people. We plan to stay home, we live in an older block home with not alot of windows. The thing I am really concerned about is alot more rain. Yes I am worried about the wind too, but we have had flooding in one room coming up from under the house. Just last night, the rains we had flooded our entire yard and street (and this has never happened)! Our grounds are so saturated, I am afraid someone could blow on the trees and they will fall.

Ok, so if you live in Florida, that's the topic of the year! Except my parents live up in Pensacola, and they haven't received a drop of rain from any of these hurricanes. I figure they are the only little piece of Florida that hasn't.

God Bless you all and keep you safe. Vicki

So, Sue, I just looked at the graphic. Hurricane force winds within the red circle,tropical force outside it? We're between Lake Ocheechobee and a tad southwest of Orlando-close to the Polk County Line. And here I thought I was going to bed early! Some of this stuff is fascinating to study-but not fun to be in it!! Lynne

Hmmmn. I don't like the noaa one much!! There's a big area covered there. I'm going to head to bed now myself-really I am-my eyes are almost closed and I have to go into work tomorrow afternoon for a 103rd Birthday Party! The gentleman is amazing. He even goes to Walmart and Publix on our bus each week!
Take care. I'll check in sometime tomorrow. Lynne

At least the graphics seem to agree, and it hasn't changed much in a while. Maybe FL won't get a direct hit except around Cedar Key/Tallahassee area and then hopefully it will be quick with minimal damage. Both major state universities are in that area, FSU & UF.

It looks like the Jax area is the safest evacuation spot. Sue has provided an excellent resource for hotels. US 301 has been flooded off & on near Starke (MM301-340?) just in case anyone was considering that route. US17 & SR 21 are open if coming to Orange Park. And I'd like to add one more hotel: Holiday Inn on US 17 @ I295 in Orange Park, 904-264-9513. I'm in the area, call me if you need help. My number thru work is 800-398-9501 X 124.

I always check Sue before any other source--this position is looking better and better. A few more degrees and it will just float on by. I know so many people in mobile homes or homes damaged by Charley that have no where to go for this one. Keep praying everyone.

One good thing, I am not cleaning or doing laundry until I see if my house is still standing. :rolleyes:

Ivan is on it's way to the Caymen Islands today, and is expected to be hit tonite!! I am sure there is much destruction in Jamaica, but they did get a miracle. It was supposed to be a direct hit, right over the island, but Ivan wobbled, and went a little south. Not a huge help, but made a difference!!!

Archived