Hurricane Ivan Information

CruiseFever

90% sure we're leaving.

Our neighborhood still has debris in the streets and our neighbors all have roof damage. Since the roofs here are tile, during Charlie they were projectiles and did alot of damage. Those tiles are still on some roofs and still laying in the streets in piles waiting to be picked up. Too much to go wrong around here I'm afraid.

Plus, I've used up my share of courage for now.

Where do you think we should run to?

Mary, I would go a little north and inland. When you stop at a hotel, keep watching the weather. By monday if the track has it going close to where you are, go the other way, before others do. Stay away from the coasts. Avon Park, Sebring area looks pretty good to me. It should be in tropical wind, instead of hurricane wind as it goes up the coast. But you have to keep watch, to stay out of the way. This is an old graphic, but shows you cities.

[url]http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0904W5+GIF/080318W5.gif[/url]

Just watched the noon news where they reported that St.Petersburg/Dunedin, looks to be in serious jeopardy at the moment!
We live in Dunedin...Our businesses are in Clearwater and St.Petersburg.
We are at the point of not knowing if this is the time to get out of here, brave the storm, or wait for more projections. I don't recall a more tense time in the area. We are all so scared here...
Sue, have you been watching this???

I sure have!! It is a tough call. I wouldn't count on anything until monday. You can wait it out, until monday, or go to find a place to stay inland and just keep watching!! You don't want it to blindside you!! My prayers are with you!! If you decide to stay, could you email your name, address, and phone number to me. My email is in my profile, and is listed under intersts. If you leave, please check into CC when you return!! We will pray, and be worried!!

[quote name='sue d. miller']Kathy, where did you hear that. That is Charlotte harbor. Punta Gorda is where Mary (MAFIG) lives.[/QUOTE]
Sue, I heard that on CNN this morning, but it has now changed to Tampa....deja vu!!!! Onewarning said if it hits the west coast, those of us on the east coast should take precautions because we will be subject to winds and tornados....I guess it's as big a storm as Frances.

Hi Kathy. They say that cause it could still come up the middle of the state. It is about the size of Charley, just a little stronger. The eyewall is small and tight. I wouldn't worry too much yet. I'll be interested in the 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. monday. It is supposed to hit landfall after 8 monday night. Probably around midnight. It changes all the time. Yesterday morning it was in my lap, at 5 it was tampa. Today it was in my lap, 11 was more north!! LOL!!

Ya know that tiny point of land jutting into the gulf directly north of Clearwater/Pinellas County? Well, that's where I live, barely 2 miles inland. Unless Ivan moves east or waaay west (both unlikely), or goes ashore south of Manatee county (possible...), the Tampa Bay area is going to be seriously impacted. We got extremely lucky with Charley. And Frances, though tediously slow/lengthy, really wasn't more than a bad wind and rain event (for me, personally, that is... I won't detail the horrors others are facing from both storms, all of which have been well documented).

This one is just too scary. We have a bad feeling about it; having dodged 2, just doesn't seem possible we'll dodge 3... please, everyone, think positive.

People here at St.Pete Beach are very jittery.Some neighbors have already left while others are boarding up and taking a more wait and see attitiude.We have been VERY lucky so far,never even lost power in all of this so the thinking around here is a kind of three strike and your out mentality.A lot can change so let's hope for the best!

Arlene

We are all going to feel it. On the west coast they will get tropical winds and heavy rain as it moves up. That is if it stays off the coast. We are south of you, and even if it is still off the coast, we will get hurricane force winds of 132 mph, unless it weakens. This is a very bad hurricane, and everyone is in for something. I don't think anyone is taking this one lightly. So many are trying to figure out whether to leave or stay. It is a tough call, cause no one really knows where it is going. Even the track at 5 p.m. monday may be wrong. Remember Charley?? If it hadn't bounced off Sanibel, it would have been in my lap.As it was, it was 5 miles from my house as it passed over Pine Island. It was a Cat 4/5 at that time!! Ivan has almost the same track.

I'm sitting up here in W PA having a difficult day and so I'm feeling a little sorry for myself. Then, I started reading all of your posts and I realized I'm sitting on top of the world in comparison to what you all are going through. I am praying that you all come through this okay. Enough already. Please know that there are those of us far and away from this threat that are hoping and praying for your safety. Hang in there, better times are coming.

SueD - Agreed - it will impact everyone. That's why I said it would have to go *waaaay* west.

So, where could or would one go? Not south... not east, certainly (that would just make the storm go east, right? ;-)... can't go west, and how far north could you go on one tank of gas? We have two cats and a dog, so no shelter would take us... not to mention how awful the whole shelter idea is anyway. I'd rather take my chances at home. If we have to, we'll put the feather bed in the walkin closet, grab the dog, and sit it out. Figure the kitties will be hiding under the king size bed by then anyway... and if it comes to it, we'll join the kitties under the bed...

Arlene...where are you in St. Pete Beach...we know the area well. Our son's inlaws live at 5000 gulf blvd, that big concrete structure. They are confident that they are safe and recently put in new windows to withstand 140 wind. Thinking of all of you in Florida....

Thanks for all the good info.
Mom's in Winter Haven....damage with Charlie, ok with Frances.
Sister & niece in Clermont...ok for Charlie, wind damage with Frances
niece in Gainsville...w/o power after Frances.

Praying for them and all of you.

Salty dawg, noticed you're from Shelby Twp. as am I. Michigan's not so bad after all!!

List of Hotels open to evacuees!!!!!

This information made possible by the Jacksonville and
the Beaches Convention and Visitors Bureau in cooperation
with The Emergency Email & Wireless Network.

Hotel Rooms Available as of Friday, September 10 at 12 noon.
September 10, 2004 in the Jacksonville, Florida Area

Airport/Northside
Clarion Hotel Airport Conference Center - 904-741-1997, Friday through
Sunday, Pet Friendly
Comfort Suites Airport - 904-741-0505 – Friday through Tuesday,
Courtyard by Marriott Airport - 904-741-1122 – Friday through Sunday
Fairfield Inn Airport - 904-741-3500 – Friday through Sunday
Hilton Garden Inn Airport - 904-421-2700 – Friday through Sunday
Wingate Inn Airport - 904-421-5000 – Friday through Sunday, Tuesday

Arlington
Regency Inn - DSPP, Inc. - 904-725-5093 – Friday through Tuesday

Beaches/Mayport

Best Western Mayport Inn & Suites 904-435-3500, Friday to Tuesday
Best Western Oceanfront 904-249-4949, Friday to Tuesday
Casa Marina Hotel & Restaurant 904-270-0025, Friday to Tuesday
Comfort Inn Mayport 904-249-0313, Friday to Tuesday, Pet Friendly
Comfort Inn Oceanfront 904-241-2311, Friday to Tuesday
Courtyard By Marriott Mayo Clinic 904-223-1700, Friday to Sunday, Pet
Friendly
Fairfield Inn & Suites Jacksonville Beach 904-435-0100, Friday, Pet
Friendly
Fig Tree Inn Bed & Breakfast 904-246-8855, Friday-Sat-Sun (not pet
Friendly) Monday-Tuesday (Pet Friendly)
Hampton Inn Ponte Vedra - 904-280-9101 - Friday through Sunday - Pet
Friendly
Holiday Inn Sunspree - 904-249-9071 - Friday through Tuesday
Navy Lodge - 904-247-3964 - Friday through Tuesday
Quality Suites Oceanfront- 904-435-3535 - Sunday through Tuesday- Pet
Friendly
Sea Horse Oceanfront - 904-246-2175 - Sunday through Tuesday
Sea Turtle Inn - 904-249-7402 - Friday, Sunday through Tuesday, Pet Friendly
Surfside Inn - 904-246-1583 - Friday through Tuesday - Pet Friendly
The Palms A Courtyard Inn -904-241-7776 - Sunday through Tuesday

Downtown/Riverfront
Hilton Jacksonville Riverfront - 904-398-8800 - Friday through Tuesday
Omni Jacksonville Hotel 904-355-6664 – Friday through Sunday – Pet Friendly
Radisson Riverwalk Hotel 904-396-5100 - Friday through Tuesday – Pet
Friendly
Riverdale Inn 904-277-0195 - Friday through Tuesday – Pet Friendly
The Inn at Oak Street 904-379-5525 -- Friday through Tuesday – Pet Friendly

Southside
AmeriSuites Jacksonville - 904-737-4477 – Friday and Saturday only, Pet
Friendly
Best Western Hotel JTB/Southpoint - 904-281-0900 – Sunday only, Pet Friendly
Courtyard by Marriott Southpoint - Thursday through Tuesday, Pet Friendly
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites - 904-281-0198 - Thursday through Tuesday
Embassy Suites Hotel - 904-731-3555 - Thursday through Tuesday, Pet Friendly
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville JTB/Deerwood Park - 904-997-6600 – Friday
through Sunday, Pet Friendly
Holiday Inn Baymeadows - 904-737-1700 Friday, Saturday and Sunday only, Pet
Friendly
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - 904-332-9500 Friday and Saturday only
Inn at Baymeadows - 904-739-0739 Friday through Tuesday, Pet Friendly
Jacksonville Marriott - 904-296-2222 Friday through Saturday only
SpringHill Suites Deerwood Park - 904-997-6650 – Friday through Monday
Suburban Extended Stay Atlantic Blvd - 904-928-9200 - Friday through
Tuesday
Suburban Extended Stay St. Johns – Friday through Tuesday
Super 8 Motel Jacksonville – 904-396-4090 – Friday through Tuesday, Pet
Friendly
Super 8 Motel University Blvd. - 904-737-1690 - Friday through Tuesday, Pet
Friendly
Wellesley Inn & Suites - 904-620-9008 – Friday through Sunday
Wingate Inn Southpoint – 9094-281-2600 – Friday and Saturday
Wingate Inn Windsor Parke - 904-421-7000 – Friday and Saturday

Westside
Hospitality Inn - 904-777-5700 - Friday through Tuesday, Pet Friendly

Nassau County
Amelia Hotel & Suites - 904-261-5735 Thursday through Tuesday
Amelia Island Plantation 904-261-6161 - Friday - Tuesday – Pet Friendly
Best Western Inn at Amelia Island - 904-277-2300 Thursday through Tuesday,
Pet Friendly
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island - 904-491-4911 Friday through Tuesday,
Pet Friendly
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fernandina Beach - 904-321-1111- Friday
through Sunday, Tuesday, Pet Friendly
Summer Beach Resort - 904-277-0905 - Friday through Tuesday, Pet Friendly
The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island - 904-277-1100 - Sunday through Tuesday

Orange Park/Clay County
Best Western Southside Hotel & Suites 904-264-4466 - Friday through
Tuesday, Pet Friendly
Club Continental Suies 904-264-6070 – Friday through Tuesday, Pet Friendly
Country Inn & Suites Jacksonville/Orange Park 904-772-7771, Friday through
Sunday
Fairfield Inn Orange Park - 904-278-7442 – Friday through Sunday
Hampton Inn Orange Park - 904-777-5313 – Friday through Monday

Palm Coast
Harborside Inn at Ocean Hammock Resort - 386-445-3000 - Sunday through
Tuesday, Pet Friendly
The Lodge at Ocean Hammock Resort - 386-447-4600 - Friday through Tuesday,
Pet Friendly

St. Johns County
Casa Monica Hotel - 904-827-1888 - Sunday through Tuesday
Hilton Garden Inn at Ponte Vedra Beach - 904-280-1661- Friday through Sunday
Sawgrass Marriott Resort & Beach Club - 904-285-7777 - Friday through
Sunday, Pet Friendly

Directions
Here are some direction options to Jacksonville for evacuees:

I-95 is the most direct route to Jacksonville. We understand that many
evacuees may be using the Florida Turnpike to travel. Here are directions
from the Turnpike:

Option 1: Exit I-4 toward Daytona Beach, then exit onto I-95 north which
will take you right into Jacksonville.

Option 2: Exit Turnpike at I-75 North, exit at I-10 East into Jacksonville.

Many of the backroads through Bradford and Putnam counties may be flooded.
Motorists are encouraged to stay on main roads. For road
closure/availability updates, people can call 800-342-3557.

Note: Many Pet Friendly hotels require a deposit and have instituted the
policy for evacuees only.

This may be somewhere else on this board, but here's what's changed w/Caribbean Itineraries.

[b]9/10/2004

Hurricane Ivan Update[/b]

September 10, 2004 -- [i]Updated 12:30 pm PDT [/i]

Princess Cruises is closely monitoring the current and projected path of Hurricane Ivan in order to ensure the safety and comfort of our passengers and crew, which is always our foremost priority. The following is an update of Princess' sailings in the region.

[b]Caribbean Princess Voyage B437 [/b]

<LI>Caribbean Princess is currently sailing on a shortened, 5-day itinerary, which departed Monday, September 6 from Fort Lauderdale. The ship is currently headed for Fort Lauderdale and is on schedule for its turn-around on Saturday, September 11.

[b]Caribbean Princess Voyage B438[/b]

<LI>In order to stay clear of Hurricane Ivan, Caribbean Princess' next sailing, departing September 11, has been changed to an Eastern Caribbean itinerary from the original Western Caribbean route. The new itinerary is:

[size=2][b]Port[/b][/size][size=2][b]Date[/b][/size][size=2][b]Arrival[/b][/size][size=2][b]Departure[/b][/size][size=2]Port Everglades[/size][size=2]Sat 11 Sep[/size][size=2][/size][size=2]5 pm[/size][size=2]At Sea[/size][size=2]Sun 12 Sep[/size][size=2][/size][size=2][/size][size=2]At Sea[/size][size=2]Mon 13 Sep[/size][size=2][/size][size=2][/size][size=2]St. Thomas[/size][size=2]Tue 14 Sep[/size][size=2]7 am[/size][size=2]6 pm[/size][size=2]St. Maarten[/size][size=2]Wed 15 Sep [/size][size=2]7 am[/size][size=2]5 pm[/size][size=2]At Sea[/size][size=2]Thurs 16 Sep[/size][size=2][/size][size=2][/size][size=2]Nassau[/size][size=2]Fri 17 Sep[/size][size=2]12:30 pm[/size][size=2]6:30 pm[/size][size=2]Port Everglades[/size][size=2]Sat 18 Sep[/size][size=2]7 am[/size][size=2][/size]

[b]Golden Princess Voyage 5437 [/b]

Golden Princess is currently sailing on her revised Southern Caribbean itinerary, and today is in Antigua and will call in St. Thomas tomorrow, September 11.
<LI>The ship's routing is anticipated to avoid the effects of Hurricane Ivan, and the vessel is on schedule to return to San Juan on Sunday, September 12.

[b]Golden Princess Voyage 5438[/b]

<LI>Due to the US Department of State's Travel Warning advising against travel to Grenada in the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan, Golden Princess' sailing departing September 12 has been modified to replace the scheduled port call in Grenada with a call at Dominica. The revised itinerary is:

[size=2][b]Port[/b][/size][size=2][b]Date[/b][/size][size=2][b]Arrival[/b][/size][size=2][b]Departure[/b][/size][size=2]San Juan[/size][size=2]Sun 12 Sep[/size][size=2][/size][size=2]11 pm[/size][size=2]St. Thomas[/size][size=2]Mon 13 Sep[/size][size=2]7 am[/size][size=2]6 pm[/size][size=2]St. Kitts[/size][size=2]Tue 14 Sep[/size][size=2]7 am[/size][size=2]6 pm[/size][size=2]Dominica[/size][size=2]Wed 15 Sep [/size][size=2]7 am[/size][size=2]3 pm[/size][size=2]Isla Margarita[/size][size=2]Thurs 16 Sep[/size][size=2]7:30[/size][size=2]1 pm[/size][size=2]Aruba[/size][size=2]Fri 17 Sep[/size][size=2]8 am[/size][size=2]5 pm[/size][size=2]At Sea[/size][size=2]Sat 18 Sep[/size][size=2][/size][size=2][/size][size=2]San Juan[/size][size=2]Sun 19 Sep[/size][size=2]6 am[/size][size=2][/size]We will continue to post any updates to this information on our web site, [url]www.princess.com[/url]. We appreciate the understanding that these changes are being made for the well being of our passengers and crew.

My spirits are lifted -- got my Cruise and Travel magazine and my Princess pre-cruise docs came today -- and the doctor says the healing process on my shoulder is right on schedule! I needed a little pick-me-up, but three --WOW. So, I will try to ignore all storm reports until Sunday. But Florida remains in my prayers.

Archived