Healesville or Serendip?

Linda-E

Trying to decide on what wildlife excursions would be best on our Sydney to LA cruise. We are going to the Featherdale Park outside Sydney precruise. We are thinking of taking a trip to Healesville or Serendip from Melbourne. Which would be better for seeing Australian wildlife in the wild? Are the two in Melbourne similar to Featherdale?

Thanks for your help

Linda

I would definitely go to Healesville Sanctuary they have some amazing programs and it is very easy to get around and you will find all the Australian wildlife there. They have meet the keeper thhere where you can learn about the animal and touch or get up close to them also a great bird of prey and tasmanian devil programs.The scenery on the way is beautiful, you might be able to add in the yarra valley(close by) for some wine tasting. http://www.zoo.org.au/healesville/ But it is a zoo. Hope this is helps.

Cathy

Trying to decide on what wildlife excursions would be best on our Sydney to LA cruise. We are going to the Featherdale Park outside Sydney precruise. We are thinking of taking a trip to Healesville or Serendip from Melbourne. Which would be better for seeing Australian wildlife in the wild? Are the two in Melbourne similar to Featherdale?

Thanks for your help

Linda

Take a look at this website www.atwad.com.au They do a wonderful day tour through the Dandenong Ranges/Yarra Valley Wineries to Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary. Includes Puffing Billy train, forest walk and morning tea, lunch at a Winery and Healesville. AND their vehicles are 3D all round viewing 10 pax 4WD.

Hi Kimberley

In 2005 we went to both and enjoyed each one. The one near Hobart had more unusual animals like the rare platypus in the aquarium part and also, they had a wide awake Koala bear and you could take your picture (well, have someone else do it) with the Koala. We have some wonderful pictures. They also have the Tasmanian devils but of course you are not allowed to pet those or get too close or you could end up being their lunch. Same with the dingos. Not to be messed with, those guys.

Anyway, it is well worth doing both. The Healeyville one had buckets of feed you could dole out to the various creatures walking around including wallabees and even emus. There were lots of Kangaroos too and they like to lie down. Sunning themselves.

Enjoy,

Johanna

We're sailing 2/2/08 and definitely visitng Healesville. My question is should we also do Bonorong in Hobart? Can anyone tell me the additional animals, etc. that we might experience?

Kimberly

If you are on Sapphire ....please join our Roll Call. However I think SUN also departs Sydney 2/2/08 :confused: . I live in OZ - and am going to both.

Happy Planning - Happy Cruising :)

B E V

Serendip is a completely different experience to Healesville. At Serendip you walk the trails and see the bird hides. It is mainly a bird sanctuary whereas Healesville is a sanctuary for all our native animals. If it is a hot day, then the koalas may be asleep as they normally sleep during the day and come out at dusk.

If it was a choice between the two then I would definitely opt for Healesville for two reasons. The first is that you will see so much more in a beautiful setting and secondly the drive to Healesville is so much prettier than the trip down the Geelong Road to Lara. You will see a far greater cross section of way of our life in Melbourne when you visit Healesville.

Jennie

Archived