Questions on AUS NZ cruise..

lisalovlee33

Hello all,

Just beginning to research the ports for New Zealand for now.

Tauranga and Dunedin: Planning on renting cars at Tauranga and Dunedin via Pegasus. Just submitted the quotes and waiting for their replies. Do I need to call them to request for car drop off and pick up at the pier?

Auckland. We will be arriving very early (arrival around 6:30am). We booked our flights from Celebrity. I think shuttles are provided to airport from Celebrity. Since we're arriving so early, how does the shuttle work? I tried calling Celebrity, not getting any answers. Anyone with experience on this?

Napier. From reading the posts here, it sounds like there's a complimentary shuttle that takes passengers to the city from this working port for 5 mins. Has anyone walked this before? Is Napier enough for the day or is a rental car necessary to explore further?

Wellington. From reading the posts here again, it seems this port is within walking distance to the city and lots to do. Same question as above, would it be wise just explore the city and not anywhere else? We have about 7am to 6pm here in this port.

Christchurch. Sounds like it would take over 30 mins just to get to town. Is this city enough for the entire day? Once again, we have about 7am - 6pm here. Not sure if it would be wise to rent a car in Christchurch as I found nothing in Lytteton.

Thanks all for your inputs in advance.

Hello all,

Napier. From reading the posts here, it sounds like there's a complimentary shuttle that takes passengers to the city from this working port for 5 mins. Has anyone walked this before? Is Napier enough for the day or is a rental car necessary to explore further?

Yes, It's about a 30 minute walk along the seafront.

I wouldn't bother, though as you can 'walk your legs off' once you get to the town.

Also, from memory, no pedestrians are allowed withing the Port area, so you will have to use the shuttle bus for that portion anyway.

Cheers,

Steve.

Tauranga and Dunedin: Planning on renting cars at Tauranga and Dunedin via Pegasus. Just submitted the quotes and waiting for their replies. Do I need to call them to request for car drop off and pick up at the pier?

-- A call or e-mail to them can't hurt.

Auckland. We will be arriving very early (arrival around 6:30am). We booked our flights from Celebrity. I think shuttles are provided to airport from Celebrity. Since we're arriving so early, how does the shuttle work? I tried calling Celebrity, not getting any answers. Anyone with experience on this?

-- We always go to the port of embarkation at least one day early. If you get no response from the cruise line, call your travel agent. My guess is they will get you out of the airport and get you somewhere to wait. Others on the board may know more.

-- You cannot walk from the ship, thru the port gate, to Napier. For us, Napier was a full walking day. Go see the Centennial Gardens, too, by the port entrance. Good place to buy NZ wines at one of the two supermarkets (much cheaper than the boutique wine stores).

Wellington. From reading the posts here again, it seems this port is within walking distance to the city and lots to do. Same question as above, would it be wise just explore the city and not anywhere else? We have about 7am to 6pm here in this port.

-- We spent all day (walking) at the botanic gardens (AM) and the two big museums (PM).

Christchurch. Sounds like it would take over 30 mins just to get to town. Is this city enough for the entire day? Once again, we have about 7am - 6pm here. Not sure if it would be wise to rent a car in Christchurch as I found nothing in Lytteton.

-- You can take the #28 bus from Lyttleton to Christchurch. The botanic gardens (Avon River, "punting" if you care to do so), arts center and city center gave us a full day. We had a shuttle to/from the city center but it did not start until 9:00. The Lyttleton shuttle started at 8:00 - we took it out of the port to catch the #28 bus to Christchurch. Their botanic gardens are amazing!

Hello all,

Thanks all for your inputs in advance.

I'm a tiger for punishment. Having lived in both NZ and Australia - plus assisted numerous CC members seeking information, Id be happy to email the details I have on file. Give me your itinerary and sailing date. Feel free to email me:

busybev28@buzzbb.net

B E V

If you want to do something a bit different in Wellington, I highly recommend the Segway tour of the city. Tony, the guy who runs it, only takes 4 people on it, but you go from the Civic Sq near the waterfront(about 30 min easy walk from the ship) up to the Botanical Gardens for a tea break and then back down. You will have plenty of time in the afternoon to do more exploring.

http://www.bodyelectric.co.nz/tours.htm

Simon

Is Napier a good size town with good public transportation? Is it a town like Miami as I read a lot about art deco buildings there.

I emailed all information to you today...that should make life easier :p

At least I think you requested my file details :confused:

B E V

Archived