2 comments about onboard photos

srico17

On another note - I bought a pic of my son and I and asked the person there if I could get it on a disc so I could send it to my sons grandmother. the guy told me that would cost over $400.00!! I almost S&%$ !! he said they charged so much because the photo was protected under copyright laws or something (with the RCCL logo etc)

So now I just take pics myself with my lovely new digital camera

I know people who do it. Does not bother me. At first I was a little taken aback, but to each his own. They have their reasons....like posted above about waste.

Personally I wouldn't be around people who are theives. If they will steal photos what else will they steal and from whom. But as you said "to each his own"

On another note - I bought a pic of my son and I and asked the person there if I could get it on a disc so I could send it to my sons grandmother. the guy told me that would cost over $400.00!! I almost S&%$ !! he said they charged so much because the photo was protected under copyright laws or something (with the RCCL logo etc)

Just an FYI - After your cruise you can go onto RCCL's website and request a release so you can get additional pictures made.

I only got through page 1, so excuse me if this has been said.

They print photos because research and experience shows that many people feel terrible about the fact that "their" pictures are going to be distroyed, so they purchase them to prevent that. They do the same thing at all those fast photo places, e.g.: Walmart, Sears, etc.

A note: We did a bad thing, once. We purchased another couples formal portraits. Then we gave it to them for their anniversary. I sort of felt a little weird about buying someone elses pics when we did it, but it was for a good cause. Taking the pics ... that's theft, pure and simple.

Personally I wouldn't be around people who are theives. If they will steal photos what else will they steal and from whom. But as you said "to each his own"

I must reiterate. I "knew" someone who "did" it once, a few years ago. I was surprised, but let it go. I said my peace, only happened once. They are not bad people whatsoever really it was a total lapse in judgement.

Wow! Taking the picture(s) without paying for them is stealing...no ifs ands or buts...it's theft.

On Explorer they had the digital kiosks where you could view your pics....I think they will do away entirely with displaying the pics....another cost cutting measure no doubt :).

How did you find your specific pictures in this case?

How did you find your specific pictures in this case?

On the Explorer, you swipe your SeaPass and all of the photos that belong to you and those in your cabin show up (or that is the way it worked for us). I still don't know how they added the port pictures (they don't swipe your card so maybe they have face recognition software?) but every picture that they took of our family was there (individual and group shots,formal and informal). We had several photos reprinted from the kiosk because we didn't like the fingerprints on some of the photos that were displayed.

perhaps if Royal Caribbean just reduced the high prices of the photo's in the first place people would be happy to purchase more of them rather than be tempted to take them,i can't see how they justify the prices they charge its not as if they are that professional , they never seem to take their time taking photo's when you are off ship its one mad rush to get as many photos as possible apart from the evening photo's or formal night you get a better service but most cruisers we spoke to would like to purchase more of the off board photos but stuck to the formal ones due to the cost

I hope they never stop taking pictures on cruises. This is the one time our whole family gets together, and our only opportunity to get a photo of everyone. I could never convince everyone to get dressed up and go to a photography studio at home...but suggest a cruise, and everybody's on board.

For those of you who would like the price to be reduced here is an explanation (copied from another board) about the costs involved for the photos. Even though Princess is mentioned, I'm sure it's the same way for all the cruise lines.

But you need to have a better understanding of photography concessions at sea.

Princess isn't taking your photo, wasting ink and paper, and charging you a fortune for the photos - an outside photo concession company is doing the dirty work.

There is a limited number of independent photo concession companies who sign contracts to take care of this business on cruise ships. Initial investment to install a photo department on a cruise ship is very high. Cost of producing photos is very low - but the cost of legally disposing of used photo chemistry in a US Port is shocking. After paying "Rent" to the cruise line, the photo concessions make razor-thin profits, if they are lucky.

Should they go completely digital and save the paper, ink, efforts, and the environment? Yes they should. But the investment required to do so would wipe out that razor-thin profit margin for a very long time.

Should they lower their prices to encourage more sales of photos? Absolutely. But their profit margins are already so small that any profits would be wiped out as well - no matter how many extra photos they sold.

There is a limited number of independent photo concession companies who sign contracts to take care of this business on cruise ships. Initial investment to install a photo department on a cruise ship is very high. Cost of producing photos is very low - but the cost of legally disposing of used photo chemistry in a US Port is shocking. After paying "Rent" to the cruise line, the photo concessions make razor-thin profits, if they are lucky.
As a photography teacher who does a little group photography on the side, I can assure you that profits for photography are HUGE. Of course, onboard the ship they'd probably pay more for space and developing (just as everything onboard is more expensive than on land), but there's simply no way they're making a "razor thin" profit -- especially now that film is essentially obsolete. The photographer's time is the most expensive commodity; the equipment is not tremendously high, and it's used over and over.

As a photography teacher who does a little group photography on the side, I can assure you that profits for photography are HUGE. Of course, onboard the ship they'd probably pay more for space and developing (just as everything onboard is more expensive than on land), but there's simply no way they're making a "razor thin" profit -- especially now that film is essentially obsolete. The photographer's time is the most expensive commodity; the equipment is not tremendously high, and it's used over and over.

Just passing on what Philip217 who posts and works for a cruise line gave as an answer when someone asked the question about the cost. He went into more detail in another post about the cost of the equipment as well as other costs involved. He usually has pretty straight answers.

I must reiterate. I "knew" someone who "did" it once, a few years ago. I was surprised, but let it go. I said my peace, only happened once. They are not bad people whatsoever really it was a total lapse in judgement.

Sorry, a thief is a thief, and I wouldn't turn my back on them, no matter how "nice" someone says they are. Stealing is more than a "lapse in judgement".:mad:

Sorry, a thief is a thief, and I wouldn't turn my back on them, no matter how "nice" someone says they are. Stealing is more than a "lapse in judgement".:mad:

That's your opinion. We are very good friends with these people and it never happened again. We WOULD turn our backs on our friends, that's how much we love them. Like I said it was a terrible thing to do I know that. It's over and done with.

I totally agree with you about the waste. I can recall being on the swing day on a B2B cruise and seeing the photo staff throw all of the previous cruise's pictures in a huge box. That really helped put things in perspective.

For me, it's stuff like this that makes RCI's "Save the Waves" campaign a little tough to swallow. It "Save the Waves" until it's time to "Make a Buck"...

I totally agree with you about the waste. I can recall being on the swing day on a B2B cruise and seeing the photo staff throw all of the previous cruise's pictures in a huge box. That really helped put things in perspective.

For me, it's stuff like this that makes RCI's "Save the Waves" campaign a little tough to swallow. It "Save the Waves" until it's time to "Make a Buck"...

I agree.

No need to do that. You can buy the print, scan it, and make as many copies as you like. I did that with absolutely no problem, and the copies turned out great.

No way! They can actually use software to recognize you?? That is so cool. I did notice them scanning our card when we took portraits. I thought that only those would be linked to our room account. Now, that is efficiency if they can identify you with software. Now there is no excuse for all the waste. Now, RCI if you are reading.... lower the picture prices..... or, sell a disc of all of our pictures that we can print when we get home. Everyone wins that way. I'm sure many more people would buy pictures if it were done that way!!

I agree with you totally on the pricing issue - hopefully RCI will get the idea someday - soon! Traveling as a family with significant others - there are way to many pictures taken to have to choose from and when you finally pare it down to the 18 or 20 you like :D your wallet is practically bleeding :eek: I love the idea of a disc - RCI get on board!!!

My opinion is that if they would price the photo's just a little bit more reasonable, they would sell tons more of them and still come out way ahead profit wise and make more passengers happy to be able to take those memories home. jmho. I also buy lots of pictures but would buy more if they were a little less.

8 by 10 (now $19.95), I would like to see $14.95

All other sizes (now $9.99 - 16.99), I would like to see a flat $10.00

I bet they would increase their profit tons if they did that. :D

E-Beth

I completely agree with you. I know I would have purchased more if the prices were not so outrageous.:cool:

As far as I know it is also not allowed to take 'the purchased' photos and have copies made of them after 'you' return home ...... unless 'you' have a waiver from the cruise line ( easy to get).

The photos are the property of the photo dept. from that cruise line.

But people are, who / what they are, and they do / what they do .....even if it is wrong.

Wes

I have made copies of pictures that I purchased, without a release ( I got the release, and forgot to take it with me!!). So it depends on where you take it as to whether you will need it. And I don't have a single problem with that. :cool:

My FMIL is quite pleased with her photo-stealing abilities. She boasted about it on & on after their last cruise. They always go Carnival and she peels off the stickers on the back. FI and I just shake our head.. she's a character and there's nothing we could have said to her about it.

Archived