Westin stay - grocery store, things to do, beaches

calenita

Staying at the Westin St. Marteen for about a week in March. Just wanted to see if anyone has stayed there and has any comments/ideas on things to make the trip fun. Our family is me, DH, DD13, DS11 and DS7.

Does the Westin have a fridge in the room for water/juice?

Is there a grocery store where we could buy some snacks/water/juice/fruit to have with us when we go to the beach or places?

Is the water too rough for swimming at the Westin?

What about snorkeling?

Any good places to eat nearby?

We will be renting a car so what should we not miss in St. Marteen?

Are there any historical/fort sites worth seeing?

What about going over to Anguilla?

THANKS ALL!

We visited the Westin last September.

We peeked into one hotel room as we walked through and it had what was either a mini-fridge or a mini-bar. Couldn't tell from the hallway.

We also toured some units down at the waterfront that had full kitchen units available, with full-sized appliances.

The closest real grocery store/super market is back in Philipsburg; Sang's, across from Bobby's Marina on the road to the Cruise Facility. It's a very nice store, but we've had bad experiences with buying wine there.

There is a very small grocery just across onto the French side in Orlean's. We've never been in it, but have driven past it several times. There's a GREAT bakery, right across the street!

The water conditions at Dawn depend on the weather. If the winds are coming in off the Atlantic (that's what you're looking at) then all bets are off, as it can become extremely rough. Otherwise, there is some decent snorkeling down by Ms. B's. You can still probably frolick in the water at the Westin's beach.

Our very favorite beach food on the island is at Ms. B's on the other end of Dawn Beach from the Westin. I have pictures posted here and here in my PhotoBucket.

There is also Mr Busby's/Daniels by the Sea alongside Ms. B's.

I have some recent photos of Busby's that I'll dig out and post in my PhotoBucket shortly, but I have a personal problem with supporting them because of an offense I know of between them and the operators of Ms. B's. I'll still drink cheap beer there (75 cents) and post their info here, but I do have a personal problem.

I make it a point to spend money with Ms. B's on every visit.

Things not to miss, historical, Anguilla will have to wait.

gary

The pictures of Dawn Beach that you've shared are wonderful.

Is Ms. B's still open?

I thought I had read in another post that they might be at risk of being closed.

By the looks of their menu and your smiles I certainly hope they remain open for the rest of us to enjoy while visiting.

take care.:)

Interesting that you ask that question right now.

I was figuring out how to confirm and then post about a rumor that I heard this evening that Ms B's is still open, but that the kitchen/bar is closed.

The story was that they are currently limited to chair rentals -- no food or drink. I am following up on this and will post again when I have a more definite answer.

gary

I have confirmed that Ms. B's has closed her restaurant and bar facility on Dawn Beach. The chair and umbrella rentals will continue, at least for now.

This was the result of a court decision (in an ongoing battle) that reportedly awarded her on the order of $200,000 to remove the facility.

There was a discussion when we were on island earlier this year that she might be moving into a permanent structure, not on the beach, for food and drink, but I can't determine if this option is still in play.

There is still Mr Busby's, right next door to her, with cheap beers. Haven't eaten there so can't comment on the food. At night the beach bar becomes a fancy dining establishment, Daniel's by the Sea.

gary

Archived